Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 4,612 times

Advertisements

We lived for 12 years in Sequim, but due to the terrible medical out there, and being so isolated, and the more frequent appearance of the Confederate flag, we left for a warmer climate as soon as my husband retired. We've spent 2 years now in Medford, OR, and realize that Washington is a better fit for us. But where to retire? We definitely don't want to go back to the Olympic Peninsula. We're thinking about Kitsap (Poulsbo, Silverdale), but I'm not longer convinced after a little birthday trip back up to Victoria (sure wish we could live there!) and Poulsbo. We've been pre-qualified for up to $600,000 home, looking for 1+ acre, between 1,900 and 2,700 sf (view a plus!). We're very proudly liberal and it's important to us not to be surrounded by trumpers and magats (the new mayor of Sequim, we hear, is a QAnon follower. Thank god we've left). Do not really want to be in the convergent zone, and need to be near good medical (in Sequim our insurance kept sending us to Poulsbo for stuff). We want to be on the Kitsap side of the Hood Canal Bridge, but close enough to spend time with friends back in Sequim and friends & family in Seattle. We've never explored beyond the Olympic & Kitsap peninsulas so don't really know much else. We'd prefer not to be dependent upon ferries to get out of the area, and we do drive south to California frequently. Any suggestions, or am I being too picky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 03:24 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Port Ludlow? Closer to Pt. Townsend & Sequim, yet close enough to Poulsbo & other medical to not be a burdensome drive. And then, there's always Poulsbo itself, which you can easily afford.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:36 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Not too picky! I think you can find a place with a nice view on the peninsula for that budget

Old 02-15-2020, 04:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Why not Olympia (or it’s suburbs) itself?

Old 02-15-2020, 09:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Poulsbo and Silverdale would be my choice for that region, and closer to medical..

Port Ludlow is fine for a smaller community too.

I had my dad in senior rehab in Silverdale, and several times at Harrison hospital. Worked well for him.

BTW... Oregon does not fit me either, I find it very different than wa. Sometimes I am in Oregon 3-4x / day, and have worked, taught, volunteered and schooled there, and 40% of co-workers lived there, as well as 9 relatives at the moment. No thanks. Lived in Canadian gulf islands near nanimo... That was sweet, but secluded. Nice for sailing and fishing everyday. Not close to medical!!!! (Wait for ferry, next day or two...)

For WA, you will need to be very certain how you want to deal with population and traffic and Property Tax growth. Today I pay $48/day ( over $15,000 / yr) Property Tax on the same home I used to pay $3/day. ($800/ yr). House is no different, just much more worn out. Hurts as a retiree with no income since 2005.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-15-2020 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-16-2020, 05:08 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2BWylds View Post
We lived for 12 years in Sequim, but due to the terrible medical out there, and being so isolated, and the more frequent appearance of the Confederate flag, we left for a warmer climate as soon as my husband retired. We've spent 2 years now in Medford, OR, and realize that Washington is a better fit for us. But where to retire? We definitely don't want to go back to the Olympic Peninsula. We're thinking about Kitsap (Poulsbo, Silverdale), but I'm not longer convinced after a little birthday trip back up to Victoria (sure wish we could live there!) and Poulsbo. We've been pre-qualified for up to $600,000 home, looking for 1+ acre, between 1,900 and 2,700 sf (view a plus!). We're very proudly liberal and it's important to us not to be surrounded by trumpers and magats (the new mayor of Sequim, we hear, is a QAnon follower. Thank god we've left). Do not really want to be in the convergent zone, and need to be near good medical (in Sequim our insurance kept sending us to Poulsbo for stuff). We want to be on the Kitsap side of the Hood Canal Bridge, but close enough to spend time with friends back in Sequim and friends & family in Seattle. We've never explored beyond the Olympic & Kitsap peninsulas so don't really know much else. We'd prefer not to be dependent upon ferries to get out of the area, and we do drive south to California frequently. Any suggestions, or am I being too picky?
How about Gig Harbor? That would give access to Tacoma medical and services. I also think Olympia would be nice.

I am surprised that the Confederate flag is common in Sequim

We had considered Medford for retirements as a warmer and sunnier climate than Washington but still green, what is prompting you to leave?

Old 02-16-2020, 09:28 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I’m in unincorporated Callum County.
I love it.
Politic wise I’m in the middle.
Never had an issue with it.
I can not tolerate racism.
Especially where I call home.
Never once seen a confederate flag or any other signs of racism.
If by chance I did see a confederate flag I would think that they were idiots more so than racists.
But that is just me.
YMMV.
I view the Olympic Peninsula as a place where people get along as long as they don’t mess with people.
Simple rules that are easy to follow.
All the best.
Andy

Old 02-16-2020, 09:42 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Poulsbo and Silverdale would be my choice for that region, and closer to medical..

Port Ludlow is fine for a smaller community too.

I had my dad in senior rehab in Silverdale, and several times at Harrison hospital. Worked well for him.

BTW... Oregon does not fit me either, I find it very different than wa. Sometimes I am in Oregon 3-4x / day, and have worked, taught, volunteered and schooled there, and 40% of co-workers lived there, as well as 9 relatives at the moment. No thanks. Lived in Canadian gulf islands near nanimo... That was sweet, but secluded. Nice for sailing and fishing everyday. Not close to medical!!!! (Wait for ferry, next day or two...)

For WA, you will need to be very certain how you want to deal with population and traffic and Property Tax growth. Today I pay $48/day ( over $15,000 / yr) Property Tax on the same home I used to pay $3/day. ($800/ yr). House is no different, just much more worn out. Hurts as a retiree with no income since 2005.
I had the misfortune of spending my first year of college in Oregon. It was bizarre. Like stepping back into the 1950's, and not at all in a good way. You say the gulf islands were/are secluded, but Oregon burglets also were very insular, very bubble-like. I know the towns and times have changed since then, but still... Oregon seems to be out of step a bit, between CA and WA. But maybe some people find that to be a good thing, in its own way?

Old 02-16-2020, 09:58 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
The wife and I spent several long weekends scoping out Oregon for our retirement location.
It really didn’t work for us.
I can’t really put my finger on it but it was a “half bubble off”.
Don’t know how else to say it but it just wasn’t for us.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
How about Gig Harbor? That would give access to Tacoma medical and services. I also think Olympia would be nice.

I am surprised that the Confederate flag is common in Sequim

We had considered Medford for retirements as a warmer and sunnier climate than Washington but still green, what is prompting you to leave?
Depends on what you mean by common, I guess. I considered moving to Sequim and spent some time there. I'm pretty darn liberal, and Sequim was liberal enough for me. But like a lot of counties across the nation, there are plenty of conservative people out in the rural areas. Port Townsend, not Sequim, is the most liberal town on the Olympic Peninsula.

I lived for a number of years in the Medford area, including Ashland and Jacksonville. Loved it there, and still do. But especially as I've gotten older, I want cooler summers. July through September, Medford area gets too hot for me to enjoy being outside, temps routinely 85 and above. So I've drifted north.

Remember, the PNW is a Mediterranean climate - most of the precipitation arrives between October and May. So unless you are right on the coast, unirrigated grass will be brown from about late June to January.

I agree that the OP might well like Poulsbo or Gig Harbor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington