Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 12:00 PM

108 posts, read 67,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Start from Issaquah and fan out. I bet there are affordable places anywhere if you look, but there is no town we can name that is going to be cheaper than your parents, or easier to commute to than Issaquah. You're going to have to make some choices.
That’s the idea, I’m just asking for leads. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:06 PM

102,285 posts, read 108,372,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEffedUpBad View Post
I did look. $1600/mo is more than I want to spend. I disagree that it’s not practical to leave anywhere other than Issaquah. There must be somewhere else.
"There must be". There isn't; all the locations around Iss. have comparable rents. There's no magic bullet. Maybe if you go out toward Snoqualmiie, but then you'll have winter snow to contend with.

There are studios in Iss. for $1500, maybe less, if you can find an in-law apartment. The big apt complexes seem to have taken over C-list in that area, so you'll have to look elsewhere. Maybe check online listings in Iss's local newspaper. You're a big boy; you can figure this out & do your own research, & make your own decisions, compromises, as needed.

Good luck! I think it's doable, if you put some effort in. You could always downsize your expectations to a room-with-bath, if you want radically lower rent, just for starters. At least you'd be on your own, and you could work up from there, as your compensation improves, hopefully.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-02-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"There must be". There isn't; all the locations around Iss. have comparable rents. There's no magic bullet. Maybe if you go out toward Snoqualmiie, but then you'll have winter snow to contend with.

There are studios in Iss. for $1500, maybe less, if you can find an in-law apartment. The big apt complexes seem to have taken over C-list in that area, so you'll have to look elsewhere. Maybe check online listings in Iss's local newspaper. You're a big boy; you can figure this out & do your own research, & make your own decisions, compromises, as needed.

Good luck! I think it's doable, if you put some effort in. You could always downsize your expectations to a room-with-bath, if you want radically lower rent, just for starters. At least you'd be on your own, and you could work up from there, as your compensation improves, hopefully.
“Downsize my expectations?” I never stated any. I am fine with a small situation and fine with commuting 20-30 min each way, and can almost certainly vanpool.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
“Downsize my expectations?” I never stated any. I am fine with a small situation and fine with commuting 20-30 min each way, and can almost certainly vanpool.
Great. Well, if you want the lowest rent, look at house/apartment shares, then. IIRC, I saw several listings in Issaquah for rooms for rent.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
At $50K gross, and single income earner it may be tight.

I'll look at Ruth's Craig's lists now.

Bremerton is too far away from Issaquah IMO, but why do you hate it?

(I'm not a fan either but I'm interested in your reasons.)
I can’t put my finger on what I don’t like about Bremerton. The atmosphere is just really weird.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:16 AM

3,702 posts, read 2,438,673 times
Quote:
I can’t put my finger on what I don’t like about Bremerton. The atmosphere is just really weird.
IMO, sounds like West Bremerton you're mentioning.

East Bremerton, Silverdale is good, IMO.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:22 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,684,585 times
North bend is probably a bit cheaper, and it's only a 15 minute easy commute.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:21 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,696,321 times
Here's another case of "the NW is just too expensive for me" thread, why oh why are some folks feet welded to their familiar ground? It's a huge country, go, go to where things align better for your particular needs, maybe the Midwest, the SW or smaller towns along the coastal regions. We see foreigners coming here from all over the planet, surely, like them, you can find something to like in America.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Here's another case of "the NW is just too expensive for me" thread, why oh why are some folks feet welded to their familiar ground? It's a huge country, go, go to where things align better for your particular needs, maybe the Midwest, the SW or smaller towns along the coastal regions. We see foreigners coming here from all over the planet, surely, like them, you can find something to like in America.
Did you read the OP's explanation, that his employment options are very limited, and he feels fortunate to have found, and kept, the Issaquah job? And it sounds like he's being realistic and flexible, in being open to renting a room vs. requiring an apartment.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:00 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,696,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you read the OP's explanation, that his employment options are very limited, and he feels fortunate to have found, and kept, the Issaquah job? And it sounds like he's being realistic and flexible, in being open to renting a room vs. requiring an apartment.
Yeah, I did, and my initial response stands as is. Sometimes we just gotta get up and move to where better opportunities exist. Renting a room may suffice as a temporary fix, but it's no life for the long term. I'd think a better choice would be to change careers while still living with a parent, making school a more affordable solution. I'm certain there is more to this tale, but that's another topic altogether..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington