Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 AM

92 posts, read 88,186 times

Advertisements

do some research, Tri-Cities area a ticking bomb of poorly contained 'spent' nuclear waste. As is San Onofre and a dozen others. And a bit of a misnomer to consider it 'spent' considering it has a half-life of 24,000 years.

Aside from nuke plant design safety issues, which are too numerous to describe, disposal of nuke waste has long been the main negative of nuke power. Yucca Mountain in Nevada, which taxpayers spent billions on, was supposed to be the national solution, until it was discovered to have been built on a geographic fault and was decertified. Every licensed nuke plant in the US is a ticking time bomb of nuke waste storage problems.

Security report a few years ago called out the concern of large drones, or small planes, being flown into nuke plant cooling domes, which could release a devastating cloud of radiation.

Meanwhile, we've got the largest nuke source possible warming our planet 24/7. If you think solar isn't feasible, you haven't done your research. Not a matter of technology or doability, just a matter of will. And of fighting the nuke and fossil fuel companies that pour millions into anti-solar propaganda to keep their business profits viable, at the cost of our future. And every time someone claims solar just doesn't scale, they win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM

5,642 posts, read 25,000,470 times
Look to France for a successful nuclear program. It is very possible.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,448,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
After the earthquake in Japan I have zero interest in nuclear power plants.

The Japanese earthquake had little to no effect on the Nuclear power plant in Japan..the tsunami did all the damage.
I can only recall one nuclear power plant in the US built on the shore of the ocean, I am pretty sure it is/was in California...I am not even sure if it still is in operation. The fact is that plant was in operation during many Californian earthquakes and survived them all. So you worry is unfounded.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Do the names Fukushima or Chernobyl mean anything to you?

Actually they do but Fukushima failure was not due to an accident, it occurred because of a national disaster. And Chernobyl was built by the Russians which puts doubt to their reliable. But if you read the post you posted to you will note I said in the US.

Quote:
No, seriously, lots of Americans, many of them Republicans, are against nuclear power. It's got nothing to do with Trump and it's not new. It's been true for years, ever since Three Mile Island. Where have you been all this time? As for myself, I had no idea Trump ever said anything in favor of nuclear power.

No one died because of the Three Miles Nuclear power plant accident.

If you had heard the President in his first SOTU address you would know what he said.

I would think the greenie of the liberal/progressive/democratic party would be in favor of saving the environment from fossil fuels.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,764,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Actually they do but Fukushima failure was not due to an accident, it occurred because of a national disaster. And Chernobyl was built by the Russians which puts doubt to their reliable. But if you read the post you posted to you will note I said in the US.

No one died because of the Three Miles Nuclear power plant accident.

If you had heard the President in his first SOTU address you would know what he said.

I would think the greenie of the liberal/progressive/democratic party would be in favor of saving the environment from fossil fuels.
Yes it was a natural disaster. One that could happen to us. After Fukushima, I have ZERO interest in nuclear.

Merkel's turning point

The nuclear disaster in Fukushima, Japan, in March 2011 signified a major shift in Germany's attitude towards nuclear power.

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-nucle...ned/a-39171204

Old 03-25-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yes it was a natural disaster. One that could happen to us. After Fukushima, I have ZERO interest in nuclear.

An earthquake and a tsunami happening at the same time has an astronomical odds of happening. And no it can't happened to us because we have no Nuclear power plants on our Washington coast.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Merkel's turning point

The nuclear disaster in Fukushima, Japan, in March 2011 signified a major shift in Germany's attitude towards nuclear power.

What does Germany decision have to do with the US building environmentally safe nuclear power plants as they have in both Georgia and Tennessee in recent years? Do you think the Germans are afraid of an earthquake or a tsunami?

Your post is a straw man argument.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:21 PM

14,587 posts, read 12,269,648 times
Quote:
An earthquake and a tsunami happening at the same time has an astronomical odds of happening.

Are you serious? What do you think causes tsunamis?

Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM

14,587 posts, read 12,269,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlanes View Post
do some research, Tri-Cities area a ticking bomb of poorly contained 'spent' nuclear waste. As is San Onofre and a dozen others. And a bit of a misnomer to consider it 'spent' considering it has a half-life of 24,000 years.

This is the biggest reason why not, in my mind. We have no good solution for the waste.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,369,208 times
Quote:
An earthquake and a tsunami happening at the same time has an astronomical odds of happening.
The earthquake is what caused that tsunami, but you're right that the two together won't happen here. No place is completely disaster-proof though, so it makes sense to go with the safest designs, right? Besides, it's estimated that it's going to take some 30 or 40 years to finish shutting down and cleaning up the Fukushima plant, so that cheap electricity was pretty expensive in the long run.

There are better designs out there, some of which would even use spent fuel. I'd rather we just cut down our energy use as a country, but most people aren't interested, so we'll most likely be building more nuclear power plants in the future here. And as long as we're extremely careful about the safety side of things, nuclear is a better power source than coal or petroleum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington