Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 34,412 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband just got his orders to Fort Lewis. We will be moving in July/August. I have a 5 year old that is starting school and was wondering where should I concentrate looking for a place for us to live? Where are the good school districts? Keep in mind we are only an E-4 right now and we have 3 children.

Also - what is base housing like up there? We just changed from Air Force to civilian to Army - so this is all new to me (again). This time we are moving with children though - so any help would be wonderful! We are moving from Utah - so it won't be that far of a drive. I just have never had the opportunity to visit Washington. I am really excited - but very nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
Alamph,

Congratulations on your relocation to Fort Lewis. Actually, the newer post housing is quite nice. I don't know what the waiting list situation is currently like. You can probably call the housing office and find out if there is any wait time. As far as schools go, The Clover park school district, Fort Lewis falls under, is nothing to brag about. Go to the Washington State Superintendent of Instruction website to compare the local school districts with each other and you'll see what I mean about Clover Park, versus North Thurston, Steilacoom, or Olympia. Washington State Report Card
With an E-4 income, you should be able to find an affordable home to rent or buy in the Lacey area, just 7 miles south of Ft. Lewis.

Good Luck!

Sandy

Old 04-17-2008, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 10,615 times
My family and I are also PCSing to Ft. Lewis. We will arrive in June. We are also concerned about schools, especially since we'll have two in elementary and one going to high school. This will be our first move also and needless to say I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. Schools, housing (on post or off). My husband is an E-6, but I am/will be looking for employment. I have an MBA and am currently working in the Energy industry (Oil & Gas), not sure if there is much available in that area of the country in the Energy industry, so I'm also a little nervous about having to do a total career change.

But I am excited about the move....

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 PM

5 posts, read 23,959 times
Hi everyone! We're Army and moving to Ft. Lewis too, but not until next year. I'm already trying to do my research on the area and get everything figured out WAY in advance! This will be our second move with the Army. I need to find a super school district that will accommodate the needs of our son who has Asperger's Syndrome. I'm looking forward to reading the responses to this post!

We live in NC right now, in Pinehurst, which is about 45 minutes from post, but worth it! This is a great place to raise kids with super schools! I'm hoping to replicate this situation in WA.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
Olympia has great schools. Check out this link: Olympia schools - Olympia public schools - Olympia school ratings - Best Olympia schools

This is a good site for looking at other schools/districts as well. I like to read the parent reviews.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Another good resource for information on Washington schools is this site:

Washington State Report Card

I like it because it has a feature where one can compare up to three schools with each other.

I hope this is helpful.

Sandy

Old 03-08-2010, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,254 times
Default Also moving to WA this summer

I live in NC currently, as well (Wilmington)! I am looking for an elementary teaching position near Ft. Lewis, as I would love to be close to my husband's job. Any suggestions?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 AM

172 posts, read 414,310 times
Is there another option other than the Olypmia school district? I do like Olympia, but I was wondering if there were any other good districts around Lewis/McChord. Any input on Yelm? Puyallup? Fife?
Thanks!

ETA: When we were stationed there we lived on post and I did not like the on-post schools. When we go back we are looking to buy a home and I want to be in a good district, but I would like as many options as possible.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:53 AM

You'll want to check out the Steilacoom school district, Puyallup school district and North Thurston (Lacey). The on-post schools fall under the Clover Park school district, which is the school district for Lakewood.
Have you compared some of the school districts on the Washington Schools Report Card site I've posted a little further up in this thread? That will give you a good picture of student to teacher ratios, test scores, and more.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington