Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,293 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to Tacoma(ish.) we are both retired, but remain fairly active with workouts at the YMCA, gardening, RVing, day hikes, etc. Our budget is not unlimited, so please don't recommend a pricey neighborhood (our limit is about $425,000.00.)
Priorities include, but not limited to:
strong sense of community / community support / friendly neighbors
access to public transportation, especially light rail to Seatac & Seattle
access to an active senior citizens center or network
backyard chicken friendly
good walk scores, especially to parks, groceries, pharmacy, dining
safe streets for when we walk the dog in the morning and evening
stand alone house rather than a condo
nearby farmers market
diverse neighborhood

If suggesting Tacoma, please tell us which neighborhood. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,408 times
Suggest you check out Fircrest.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
Strong sense of community and friendly neighbors, as well as good dining definitely eliminate WA, safe streets definitely eliminate Tacoma

Old 02-27-2019, 10:59 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Are you going to need to park an RV? That can conflict with denser neighborhoods with "good walk scores, especially to parks, groceries, pharmacy, dining".

You can keep up to six chickens in Tacoma. See:

https://cms.cityoftacoma.org/citycle...Sanitation.PDF

Old 02-28-2019, 05:23 AM

77 posts, read 61,988 times
I like the Old Town/Ruston area of Tacoma -- nice views, walk to restaurants, old style homes. It's gotten pricey, though. I second the Fircrest recommendation, though it doesn't meet all your criteria.

Move to Tacoma – Explore Neighborhoods

Old 03-01-2019, 07:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
If you're retired - do you need a more expensive city such as Tacoma or Seattle? There are beautiful, cheap places in SW Washington. Skamokawa - Tokeland - so many. No traffic.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:05 PM

765 posts, read 897,842 times
I'd suggest looking somewhere in the Northend of Tacoma. The closer you get to downtown (North or East), the cheaper it is (generally). As far as I know Hilltop is still relatively affordable, but moving there means you're contributing to the displacement of local people of color. Maybe somewhere off of 6th ave, like a few blocks south would meet your criteria. It's walkable, has good transit (especially 6th ave), access to lots of local shops and restaurants, kind of in the middle of it all, so easier access to other neighborhoods too. As far as a sense of community, I think it's strong in the Northend of Tacoma in general. There are a lot of bars and clubs on 6th ave though, so if you're not up for some rowdiness, maybe not the right fit. I'd also suggest Ruston, or close to Point Defiance park. Might be slightly more affordable, but the transit and walkability are worse than somewhere more centrally located. However, a new district is in the process of being built, called Point Ruston, which is right next to Ruston. It's very walkable and there's a good amount of shops and restaurants there already. It's also contributing to the neighborhoods cost of living going up.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 4,293 times
Any info on Steilacoom?

Old 03-06-2019, 08:40 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharleyhammond View Post
Any info on Steilacoom?
Just stopping in here quick to say that Steilacoom is a nice little town that should fit your requirements for strong sense of community / community support / friendly neighbors, good walk scores, especially to parks, groceries, pharmacy, dining, safe streets for when we walk the dog in the morning and evening and stand-alone housing. There are few roads coming in because of the terrain, the nearby fort, Chambers Creek, and the bay in front, so it feels like you're far away from the big city, though it's close by. There's golf nearby, plus that wonderful bay view.

I don't know how well it scores on the other items on your list, so maybe somebody else could chime in here. There is the ferry, but I don't think that will get you to Seattle.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
I'm at a loss why so many people want to retire here. Most of the west side of the state is doing it's best to catch up with California real estate prices and taxes. What you'll save in no income tax you'll pay in bloated property taxes, around 10% sales tax, as well as we have the 3rd highest gas taxes in the country around 68-73 cents per gallon state and federal. Our larger cities are swarming with homeless and even where I live in a smaller town of ~90K people we had a man get stabbed to death right behind my office on the jogging trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington