Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 10:47 AM

67 posts, read 61,541 times

Advertisements

We already have a natural split down the state. The ideologies of the two sides are so different that it's practically two different states as it is. Should it be made official?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 11:00 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
There are a lot of issues with splitting the state in two. Federal approval is one of them.

However, there is NO laws governing how individual states are governed.

Simply, set-up a new level of regional government for eastern Washington and western Washington. Shift all the tax and government authorities to the regional governments.

The original Washington state government then becomes a "ceremonial" office that facilitates discussions between the two regional governments.

The problem is not just in Washington state. California, Oregon, Colorado, and Nevada have similar issues. Back east and in the mid-west similar problems. I would support redrawing all the state boundaries across the entire country.

BTW...western Washington is too dependent on eastern Washington to allow it to leave.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:02 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
I'm okay with eastern Washington joining Idaho. (Be aware, however, that won't let you escape an income tax, since Idaho already has one.)

Just splitting the state, however, would add two additional conservatives to the U.S. Senate, even further increasing its undemocratic bias in favor of sparsely populated rural states. On that basis, I'd be against it.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:20 AM

32 posts, read 32,446 times
Red regional always talk about making a separate state. However they still want all the benefits of the blue portions of the state. Doesn't work that way. If you want to on your own great. But your just that on YOUR OWN.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:45 AM

what are the benefits to eastern Washington of being associated with western Washington??

Did you see this in the comment section of the Seattle Times??

Sorry, I don't have access to a complete list. But maybe others can add to the list.

But just off the top of head here is what I remember about attempts by the state of Washington and western Washington communities to limit economic development east of the Cascades.

The problems go back a long way.

My first recollection is the funding for I-90. The Legislature wanted to stop state of funding of I-90 east of Moses Lake. The Federal government pointed out that Interstate Highway System was a system and the state of Washington needed to pay their fair share. State dollars were involved. Fair enough for western Washington to be involved.

The conversion of the N-Reactor to produce medical isotopes. The project was supported by EVERY elected official in eastern Washington. It was killed by western Washington politicians. NO STATE monies were involved.

The Heart Center for Spokane was almost killed by western Wasington legislators. Only the intervention of three Governors and two Premiers in Canada managed to get the Heart Center approved. No STATE MONIES were involved.

Municipal broadband was started by the eastern Washington PUD's in the late 1900's. Governor Locke tried to stop municipal broadband projects in eastern Washington. He did manage to cripple it so that municipal broadband is no longer feasible in Washington state. NO STATE MONIES were involved.

The state of Washington required that Spokane build a waste-to-energy plant in the early 1990's. Spokane has an excess of electricity and many cheap dump sites. But no, they had to build a waste to energy plant. Cost of which was paid for by Spokane residents.

The city of Seattle REQUIRED that their garbage dump be located in eastern Washington over the objections of local residents. They even “bought” a couple of county commissioners. The state of Washington approved, did NOT EVEN ask the city of Seattle to consider a waste-to-energy plant.

The state of Washington after giving sales tax breaks to sports stadiums, road construction, and private firms decides to sales tax breaks for economic development in eastern Washington for companies dependent on our extensive fiber network. State monies were involved, but the state thinks sports stadiums in Seattle are worth the subsidy. The subsidy is barely retained.

Speaking of stadiums. Building a football stadium for the second richest person in the world is a state-wide emergency. So far, after promises that state residents would NOT be paying for the stadium somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 million dollars, with about 100 million of that by eastern Washington residents. BUT when the city of Wenatchee was going to go bankrupt for financing their local sports arena, the state of Washington refused to help even though the bankruptcy of the city would have had financial effects beyond Wenatchee. Priority...bail-outs for rich people, none for the people of eastern Washington.

Hanford clean-up. The state of Washington has imposed the highest B&O taxes on the Hanford cleanup. IF you don't want something to happen you tax it at a high rate. Why is the state of Washington against the Hanford clean-up??

Snake River Dams. City of Seattle and western Washington Legislators want the dams removed. Fair enough. Lets remove the City of Seattle dam in eastern Washington. Oh wait, that one we keep and use our political power to make sure that the local county and people do NOT get control over their resources.

Speaking of local control. Governor Inslee has used the Growth Management Act to overide local zoning laws banning Industrial Wind Areas in eastern Washington. So far, over 200,000 acres of endangered shrub-steppe habitat has been destroyed in eastern Washington. Wow, using a law that is suppose to protect the environment to destroy 200,000 acres is pretty evil.

But wait, there more. Governor Inslee and the Legislator subsidies to the out-of-state corporate Industrial Wind Industry has resulted in publically owned power systems in eastern Washington not being able to sell excess power. So not only do we get to watch our environment being destroyed by Industrial Wind Areas we PAY for it.

Well, that's the short list. Is that enough or do you want more examples. There are more like
the medical school, Cantwell's war on federal firefighters and the environment killing the healthy forests initiative and so on........

Old 11-07-2018, 12:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'm okay with eastern Washington joining Idaho. (Be aware, however, that won't let you escape an income tax, since Idaho already has one.)

Just splitting the state, however, would add two additional conservatives to the U.S. Senate, even further increasing its undemocratic bias in favor of sparsely populated rural states. On that basis, I'd be against it.
I agree, let Eastern Washington join Idaho. Then Western Washington can stop having to fund Eastern Washington.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...hat-969099.php

Old 11-07-2018, 12:46 PM

436 posts, read 570,273 times
This is a great way to pave the way so a democrat never gets elected as president ever again. No need to gerrymander the country to make it harder than it is already.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:45 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,484 times
Seems like a good idea, as long as Western Washingtonians keep out of other free states and don’t pollute those as well

Old 11-07-2018, 05:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seems like a good idea, as long as Western Washingtonians keep out of other free states and don’t pollute those as well
Deal. Easiest deal ever.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:51 PM

So does that mean I can ship ALL my neighbors back over to the coast??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington