Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times

Advertisements

Just for the fun of disscussion should the state of Oklahoma be splited into two separate states....Oklahoma and East Oklahoma with
(Tulsa East Oklahoma) as the new state Capital of East Oklahoma. The
border of the (2) states could be the 1/2 way point on the Turner
Turnpike half way between Oklahoma City and Tulsa.This action would
give Tulsa a instant national (Brand) Status..Idenity..Reputation....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 04:03 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
In 1905, the five civilized tribes petitioned to become their own state. The state of Sequoyah. It was denied in 1906, and the state of Sequoyah was absorbed by Oklahoma.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 PM

687 posts, read 2,349,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
In 1905, the five civilized tribes petitioned to become their own state. The state of Sequoyah. It was denied in 1906, and the state of Sequoyah was absorbed by Oklahoma.
This would have been it:

Sorry for the size of the image; I linked it from wikimedia commons.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:55 PM

Default That's What I'm Talking About With TULSA As The Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post
This would have been it:

Sorry for the size of the image; I linked it from wikimedia commons.
Yeah that's pretty much what i'm talking about with TULSA as the
state capital of East Oklahoma......TULSA Brand would increase by
leaps and bounds with it being the largest city and state capital..

Old 07-25-2009, 03:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I don't think Tulsa would have been it. Most likely Muskogee.

Quote:
In a convention at Eufaula in 1902, representatives of the Five Civilized Tribes started a drive towards statehood for the Indian Territory. The name for their proposed state was Sequoyah, a prominent Cherokee – in fact, the man who devised the Cherokee alphabet. In 1903, the delegates met again to organise a constitutional convention. This convention met at Muskogee in 1905, presided over by General Pleasant Porter, Principal Chief of the Creek Nation. Vice-presidents were the high representatives of each of the five ‘civilized tribes’: William C. Rogers (Cherokee), William H. Murray (Chickasaw), Green McCurtain (Choctaw), John Brown (Seminole) and Charles N. Haskell (Creek). If Sequoyah never achieved statehood, it wasn’t for the efforts of the Convention: it drafted a constitution, established county boundaries for the new state, elected delegates to petition the US Congress for statehood and saw its proposals overwhelmingly endorsed in a referendum held in Indian Territory.
However, Eastern politicians pressured then US President Theodore Roosevelt against admitting two Western states (Sequoyah and Oklahoma) into the Union, fearing this would disproportionally diminish Eastern states’ political influence. Roosevelt then decided both territories could only enter the Union as a single state. Having already laid the groundwork for their own state, Indian Territory representatives had a big influence in establishing Oklahoma. The constitution of Oklahoma, admitted as the 46th state in 1907, is based largely on that of Sequoyah.
147 – The Stillborn State of Sequoyah « Strange Maps

Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM

144 posts, read 484,511 times
Howest. Why don't you just move to Texas and have them become their own country.

There can be more than one city in Oklahoma. I wish that Lawton, Stillwater, McAlester, Woodward, Ardmoore, and Enid would grow to become 100,000 or more.

The problem with people like you is you try to divide instead of bringing the cities and smaller cities together to use all of our strengths to bring people and jobs to Oklahoma. We have so many assets that we need to focus on combining instead of thinking of dividing.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
United she stands, divided she falls. Let's just leave things well enough alone! Oklahoma is too little to divide!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:31 PM

Default There's (5) Cities In Oklahoma........

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
Howest. Why don't you just move to Texas and have them become their own country.

There can be more than one city in Oklahoma. I wish that Lawton, Stillwater, McAlester, Woodward, Ardmoore, and Enid would grow to become 100,000 or more.

The problem with people like you is you try to divide instead of bringing the cities and smaller cities together to use all of our strengths to bring people and jobs to Oklahoma. We have so many assets that we need to focus on combining instead of thinking of dividing.
There's (5) Cities in Oklahoma....Oklahoma City...Tulsa....Norman
Broken Arrow.....Lawton OK....And please tell me if Oklahoma City
is going to ever value Tulsa...or would Tulsa be better out as the
Head and Capital of East Oklahoma....

Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM

Default I Was Just Asking For Opinions........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
United she stands, divided she falls. Let's just leave things well enough alone! Oklahoma is too little to divide!
I was just asking for opinions on a very interesting subject.....
No harm ....No foul ...No injury......

Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
I think the problem with people like YOU is that you get all worked up over nothing and cause problems. If you would have read the original post, you would have realized that this thread was just for fun, not to get angry and defensive about. Your post was rude.

However, I do agree that we would be better off as a single state rather than one divided. Simply because there is so much history that involves the entire state and I think seperation would cause some of it to be lost. There is also so much diversity and variety if only from the scenery if you drive from Tulsa to the panhandle. I was born and raised in Oklahoma and am proud to be a part of it all.

*D*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa