Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:27 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,427,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Chiggers??

Maybe sand fleas bites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:33 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,065,438 times
It's called the 'West coast liberal rash' very contagious and it eats your brain and you lose the ability to think for yourself!

Old 10-27-2018, 04:57 PM

438 posts, read 377,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Two weeks ago I went to Olympic peninsula, did a bit of walking on the beach and on trails, and came home with a red rash on my feet - slightly itching, but nothing really bad. Then feet become swollen. A week or so later swelling ended, but rash spots are still present, - not red anymore, but like drying blisters. No pain at all, just ugly. Does anybody know about some plants or, worse, microscopic bugs that can cause it? I didn't walk barefoot, just sneakers with crew socks.
It's honestly hard to tell without seeing the spots and having a clear idea of how the rash came to be. I know that I've gone to the peninsula every summer since I was a child and never had something you've described even when walking on the beach, even without anything covering my legs or feet. Then again anything can happen in one instance so who knows.

Did you come with anyone else and do they have similar issues? If no one else has it then there is a good chance you walked through something you're allergic to or a different medical problem going on with you rather then a problem picked up from the beach. I haven't heard of any problems on the peninsula about people getting infected, having prolonged rashes, or bug problems so it's not an ongoing issue here or something that others have encountered.

I know you said you don't want or trust going to a medical professional, but I really don't see who else can help you get to the bottom of it. If it's still a problem I would say it's most likely not from your visit, and you should seek professional medical help despite your insistence that they won't help; trust me, any doctor can help much more then random strangers on the internet who don't even know what the issue looks like, let alone know how your past/current health and body issues may contribute to this issue.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:06 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,427,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
It's called the 'West coast liberal rash' very contagious and it eats your brain and you lose the ability to think for yourself!

Eh...Clallam county and Sequim supported Trump in the 2016 election.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:28 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,445,072 times
I’ve been on those beaches at all times of the year and never experienced this.

In the woods I always wear boots and socks.

I’ve experienced chiggers, they itch and burn like mad, but that was during August in the Arkansas Ozarks, during heat and high humidity, which is the kind of climate that chiggers thrive in, to my understanding. I don’t think Western Washington is the right environment for chiggers.

Did you stay in a short-term rental? Could it be bed bugs?

It sounds like you should see a medical professional

Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 PM

58 posts, read 134,745 times
Supposedly, chiggers are not found in WA state. But I have seen them (the actual tiny red mite) several times. And I'm pretty sure I have been bitten up pretty well by them on a couple of occasions. I've also been bitten by sand fleas. They itch about the same!

You can determine which one bit you by looking at the bite:

https://chiggersbite.com/chigger-bites-vs-flea-bites/

Old 10-29-2018, 01:27 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,389,050 times
Thanks everybody!
I'd go dee a medical help if there were any more or less serious symptoms like fatigue, fever, severe itch etc., but after spending a day with these bites and no major problems, I thought I'd rather wait.

No, it's not a liberal rash - I'm immune to it
Yes, my DH also had same issue, only lighter - he wore thicker socks, I think. Bedbugs aren't likely - they usually prefer plump body areas, not skinny feet ) And you can see if there were bugs in the morning - on the bed sheets.

Skin is getting better, no other symptoms have manifested since, so whatever it was I hope I'm fine now, and our local Drs, even if I did go to them, have no idea about WA bugs or plants. Anyway, totally late to visit doctors now )
Drew8888, mine looked even smaller than both these options, just very small bright red dots.
But lesson learned - will use some repellent next time I wonder into beautiful rainforests!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: