Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 PM

4,226 posts, read 3,302,329 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Coming to Seattle in a few weeks for three days. I'm sure Tacoma is great, but I was seeking specific input on whether it would be worthwhile for a tourist visiting Seattle for 3.5 days to go down there on the Link.

I'm only asking because the first time I went to Seattle, an Uber driver suggested checking out Bellevue. I went, and immediately regretted it. Again, I'm sure Bellevue is a great place, but for a tourist with a tight timeline...come on.

So, are there any excursions outside of Seattle (doesn't have to be Tacoma, could be any of the surrounding cities like Kent), close enough to get there on public transit and back pretty quickly? Examples would be night spots, art galleries, scenic parks, etc.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Chihuly glass museum maybe. Check it out.

Point defiance Park, zoo and aquarium… It’s not a big huge zoo but it’s a quaint small one. And I really like the way the aquarium is laid out.

The old fort Nisqually is there.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 09-13-2018 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Chihuly glass museum maybe. Check it out.

Point defiance Park, zoo and aquarium… It’s not a big huge zoo but it’s a quaint small one.

The old fort Nisqually is there.
Ok thanks, did some googling and point defiance park seems like a candidate so far.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Nah, not much to see in Tacoma that you can’t in Seattle. If you want a fun and cheap excursion take the ferry to Bainbridge and hang out in its lovely, quaint downtown and enjoy the waterfront parks. There are bike rentals literally a couple hundred feet from the ferry terminal if you want to explore a little further out. No car needed. Or, take the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston and have a similar experience. Caveat emptor: the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is notorious for getting backed up, and Bainbridge is usually a better bet. Think Coronado, PNW style

Old 09-13-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Nah, not much to see in Tacoma that you can’t in Seattle. If you want a fun and cheap excursion take the ferry to Bainbridge and hang out in its lovely, quaint downtown and enjoy the waterfront parks. There are bike rentals literally a couple hundred feet from the ferry terminal if you want to explore a little further out. No car needed. Or, take the ferry from Edmonds to Kingston and have a similar experience. Caveat emptor: the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is notorious for getting backed up, and Bainbridge is usually a better bet.
I took the ferry to Bainbridge on my first Seattle trip, very much worth the time. It looks like a Link trip from Seattle to Tacoma is over an hour. I just wanted to feel like I"m exploring the region a bit without burning up too much time, I think I hit all the big tourist spots in Seattle last time. Another thing is that when I went in 2016, it was sunny mid 80's the whole time. I wanted to see Seattle as it is presented in popular culture, rain and overcast. Hopefully I'll get that in October.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Also, the Link doesn’t go to Tacoma. Link’s southernmost terminal is Angle Lake and trust me, there is nothing to see there. You have to take the Sounder to Tacoma and they don’t currently have weekend service except for special events, so you would have to do it on a weekday.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Also, the Link doesn’t go to Tacoma. Link’s southernmost terminal is Angle Lake and trust me, there is nothing to see there. You have to take the Sounder to Tacoma and they don’t currently have weekend service except for special events, so you would have to do it on a weekday.
Ok...this idea is dying fast.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I took the ferry to Bainbridge on my first Seattle trip, very much worth the time. It looks like a Link trip from Seattle to Tacoma is over an hour. I just wanted to feel like I"m exploring the region a bit without burning up too much time, I think I hit all the big tourist spots in Seattle last time. Another thing is that when I went in 2016, it was sunny mid 80's the whole time. I wanted to see Seattle as it is presented in popular culture, rain and overcast. Hopefully I'll get that in October.
You should get that in October.

Besides Bainbridge, there’s not much else on the OP that is a quick trip to/from Seattle. There are some unique neighborhoods along the Link like Beacon Hill. You can also take a bus to Alki Beach in West Seattle from downtown, it’s pretty quick. Have you been to the botanical gardens/Japanese garden in Washington Park? It’d be nice in October. Also Discovery Park near Ballard/Magnolia if you haven’t been. You can also get to Bremerton from downtown but I haven’t been to Bremerton on the ferry before so I don’t know if it’s walkable from the ferry terminal.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
You can take a Sounder train but there limited service hours limited morning and evening commutes.
You can take the Amtrak trains, 12 bucks one way. About 1hr. Runs daily.
You can take a express bus. I forgot the number. About 1 hr. Runs daily. Less so on weekends and holidays. I forget the card because I am a senior and use an Orca card.
Bus and trains use the same location in Seattle and Tacoma. Bus and Trains you may have to walk a 1-3 blocks, pretty much terminal. Tacoma has a shortline street-car that runs from bus/train to downtown Tacoma. Free.

Recommend that you buy an Orca card by mail, at SeaTac, or at International District stop at vending machines or at Soundtransit HQ,

Old 09-13-2018, 08:42 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,523,914 times
So what have you already seen in Seattle area?

You can take the ferry to Bremerton.
You can take a fast ferry to Victoria.
You can take a Boltbus(3.5 hrs) or Amtrak (3.5-4.0 hrs depending if you do amtrak bus or amtrak train) to Vancouver BC.
You can do Portland by BoltBus@ $15-25, 5-8 buses daily, Amtrak train @ $25-40, 4-5 trains. Advance purchase for best pricing. 3 hours.

Last edited by leastprime; 09-13-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington