Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 957 times

Advertisements

I'll be relocating to Whidbey Island next month and was curious on how the internet service is on the island compared to the mainland. I have read on older threads that the only Internet option was wifi via cell service providers such as Verizon. Also, that such services charge by data usage rather than a monthly rate and the service can be spotty. Is this still true? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 08:55 PM

64 posts, read 74,476 times
Not sure where you got this information from but definitely not true. Xfinity and Frontier hold the market for wifi, and I believe you can get Wave broadband as well. As with any location you're charged based on speed.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 PM

68 posts, read 86,664 times
Depends on where you live. As posted most of the people who live in town can get Comcast/frontier. When we rented our house, I plugged address in Comcast and it popped up that they provided service to the home, when we moved in we called to get service and they said our driveway was too long. We have a road right next to us so our neighbors have Comcast but bc our house isn't on that road they won't come here. We have been miserable! Can't wait to move in a couple months. I've had to up my data and use that, but I can't do any streaming or YouTube. I will always call now first before moving into and signing a contract. The rental agent should have told us this before hand. I was furious! By the way I have called every option there is and no one besides satellite will work with us bc of the long driveway. So if you live more in the rural country areas you may have issues.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:12 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay1126 View Post
Depends on where you live. As posted most of the people who live in town can get Comcast/frontier. When we rented our house, I plugged address in Comcast and it popped up that they provided service to the home, when we moved in we called to get service and they said our driveway was too long. We have a road right next to us so our neighbors have Comcast but bc our house isn't on that road they won't come here. We have been miserable! Can't wait to move in a couple months. I've had to up my data and use that, but I can't do any streaming or YouTube. I will always call now first before moving into and signing a contract. The rental agent should have told us this before hand. I was furious! By the way I have called every option there is and no one besides satellite will work with us bc of the long driveway. So if you live more in the rural country areas you may have issues.
No way for the rental agent to know if Comcast says yes... you need a tech to come out if no history of service at the address.

At least you have Satelite... I did after spending a couple of thousand on tree removal only to have others grow back in a few years... you need a wider field to get HD.

Frustrating to no end.

After years I was able to get Comcast by committing to Comcast Business. Runs $300 a month with a 4 year commitment... felt it was the best I could do under the circumstances...

Neighbors all have Comcast but driveway is too long and no utility poles available.

Another friend was able to set up a sky bridge and paid the neighbors basic each month... worked very well except for those times when the router needed to be reset and once was when the neighbors were away on vacation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington