Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:15 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
yes Sea-Tac. Plane lands at 11am. I am actually staying in Federal Way but probably wont check into the hotel until later in the day as check-in usually isn't until 3pm. How is the traffic on Sundays? We set the clocks back early Sunday so I should have an extra hour of daylight.
Okay, 12 o'clock to get started. I'd forget about driving through or around Seattle, even on a Sunday. How about a "loop" that will bring you back to Federal Way:

1. Drive from Sea-Tac to the Fauntleroy ferry terminal.

2. Catch the car ferry to Southworth on the Kitsap Peninsula.

3. Drive west via WA-160, WA-16, and WA-3 to Belfair, then via WA-106 to Skokomish on the lower elbow of Hood Canal.

4. Drive north to Hoodsport on US-101 to explore Hood Canal, then use either of these options to visit Olympic National Park.

4A. At Hoodsport, turn west on WA-119 to go to Lake Cushman in ONP.

4B. At Brinnon, turn west on the Dosewallips Road to explore the Dosewallips River into ONP.

5. Head back to Belfair, but turn south on WA-3, then east on WA-302 to Purdy, then south on WA-16 to Gig Harbor.

6. Take WA-16 across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Toll) and continue east to I-5; take I-5 north to Federal Way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Sadly, I would avoid going anywhere near the mountains, with a big snowstorm predicted for tonight and tomorrow. The worst of the wind is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon, with gusts to 70mph so all roads are going to be nasty with ferry and bridges possibly closing. Hopefully your flight gets in on time but it could be a bumpy landing. I'm going ahead with my drive to Port Angeles, but will be prepared to drive around if the Hood Canal Bridge or ferries are shut down.

High Wind Warning in Northwest Washington

Old 03-12-2016, 08:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sadly, I would avoid going anywhere near the mountains, with a big snowstorm predicted for tonight and tomorrow. The worst of the wind is supposed to be tomorrow afternoon, with gusts to 70mph so all roads are going to be nasty with ferry and bridges possibly closing. Hopefully your flight gets in on time but it could be a bumpy landing. I'm going ahead with my drive to Port Angeles, but will be prepared to drive around if the Hood Canal Bridge or ferries are shut down.

High Wind Warning in Northwest Washington

Yes.. 100% agreement.

Take the warning seriously...

Likely most intense at the Admiralty inlet like the one on the 10th. Uggg.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:16 PM

In which case, you might try something indoors. The Columbia Tower observation deck might be interesting. Another option would be the Flight Museum at Boeing Field.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 PM

Looks like you might be able to escape some of the rain (not sure about the wind) by driving south.

120-mile range radar

Old 03-14-2016, 07:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,725 times
I spent most of the day driving which was fine. I headed over to lake Cushman which was a beautiful drive even in the rain. The lake itself was also beautiful. There was some snow at the Western end of the lake which made for great scenery. Was also fun to drive in with my rental I explored the lake area for a while and then drove north and got a burger at fat Smitty's. Yum. And man that place is interesting. The drive up and the sound was also beautiful. The wind was whipping and power was down/ out in lots of spots.

Then I tried to return back to federal way but the hood canal bridge was closed so it was a longgg drive around 110-5 but all is good. Got to see alot of nature and it certainly is beautiful out here!
Attached Thumbnails
Seattle Area, must see nature?-img_20160314_062110.jpg   Seattle Area, must see nature?-img_20160314_062236.jpg  

Old 03-14-2016, 10:07 AM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
You are certainly a good sport, arriving and going sight-seeing in that kind of weather! Good for you! Great pictures.

My idea of the ferry ride might have been a pretty wild ride yesterday, I wondered about you when I saw this:

Waves swamp cars on San Juan ferry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington