Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 943 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My significant other and I are getting ready to find our own place in 6-12 months. We like WA, but don't want to stay in the Puyallup/Tacoma area due to it getting..trashy. We would like an area where it would have more definite seasons, housing that has 1+ acreage in a 150-220 range, and is more nature than city but close enough that job finding wouldn't be a nightmare (I'm a veterinary technician and he is IT). We both would like an area that gets a little more sun or a more equal sun:rain ratio, I would like snow (he doesn't care about snow lol). We like to Kayak and go to lakes. I like to putter outside with our dogs so a large yard that has privacy is a must. While we have visited Leavenworth and a little bit of Wenatchee we are concerned about the population burst and both our job fields salaries were almost down $3 there than in Tacoma.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
We like WA
but don't want to stay in ...trashy.
more definite seasons
housing that has 1+ acreage in a 150-220 range
more nature than city but close enough that job finding wouldn't be a nightmare.
area that gets a little more sun or a more equal sun:rain ratio
I would like snow
We like to Kayak and go to lakes.
large yard that has privacy is a must.
That's a tall order nearly anywhere in the country. Getting a house on an acre+ of land, under 220k, near outdoor amenities, but not trashy? Not sure what 'trashy' means to you though.

As for the rest of it, you'll have to go to Eastern Washington to get more sun/more definitive seasons, snow, etc. Most of the lakes are in the northeastern corner of the state. Wenatchee or Spokane would be my suggestions for decent sized cities (to find work in) that are near to outdoor amenities. Especially Spokane for kayaking - tons of lakes and rivers to explore within 20 minutes / 2 hours. You might be able to find something better in Spokane than you found in Wanatchee, but anywhere you go in the state away from the Puget Sound, you'll probably have to take a pay cut. Cost of living is lower and so are the wages.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
choices... Since we don't know ANYTHING about your ages and income expectations or expenses...

You like big bucks... then you go to the money (Wow, I can't even imagine how nice a double earner income would have been!!!)

You value peace a quiet...price of admission = lower pay scale areas and higher expenses (but there at least is a Costco in Wenatchee) I never buy a membership, I just have friends / people I meet there buy my monthly $4.99 chicken. (We get 20 meals (servings) per chicken )

Options... get a state / federal job in a beautiful area (Many in WA, BPA, ACoE, SP, National Labs, Colleges, road dept, Christine's legacy of HUGE WA DoEcology... Many MANY choices if you can wade through the 2 yr employment process)

But... choices, you gotta make YOUR choices (I drive a $35 car that gets 50mph on free cooking oil, and we fed our family, eat and entertain on $100 / month (as we have for over 40 yrs) and ENJOY a beautiful country home (built from scratch) that the assessor charges us $40 / day in WA Property taxes to stay there.).

I buy beautiful country view homes / farms on 5+ acres for under $100k (In the Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area). I passed up 2 this last yr that I didn't want to hassle with. They need some work (often a LOT of work... but my labor is FREE... I NEVER buy from a realtor. If a place is listed for sale... it is too late to get a good deal. You gotta DIG and be very "stealth", if you disclose to ANYONE, NEVER disclose to a realtor, they will steal it from you before you get it bought. Most of my places are bought for cash, or owner finance. Many will JUMP at 5% guaranteed income (direct deposit, never late...) I give sellers a 120 day 'cash out' requirement. I Pay 30% down. They can have their cash at anytime by giving me a 120 day notice. (So I can cough up the dough or rob a bank or something)..

I would choose as close to Wenatchee as you can afford. (I would venture to the Mtn side rather than the Prairie side). I like SNOW, lots of snow. The Region has awesome recreation and public transportation. If S.O. needs to go to the city to get IT job... send him away. He can come back on his days off. I would NEVER choose to live in Urban PNW. (Personal preference... I don't do stop lights. Traffic Light turns red and I go POSTAL) Watch out!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 PM

37 posts, read 39,638 times
Stealth, why is your property tax so high?? Is this the norm for WA?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar3030 View Post
Stealth, why is your property tax so high?? Is this the norm for WA?
Not the Norm... Just for View / water front / properties and taxpayers who drag the assessor to Olympia to every year contest their valuations... (Assessor HATES that (even tho he gets PAID for the trip...) )_ and ALWAYS wins) ... so not EVERYONE. Most taxpayers roll over and play dead (pay it), but MOST have jobs! I have been retired for many yrs. WA is not friendly to those who do not have GOOD income. as the assessor says "sell It" (Not why I built it nail by nail / brick by brick). But he will win or I will lose it to him. (He holds the deck). 3rd farm for me to have to lose due to high taxes (only my second in WA, one was our Colorado Ranch ... 30+ yrs ago) It was REALLY sweet! (Assessor / county loved it SO much they turned it into a county park. AFTER I lost it)

This one has been nice while it lasted... (My daily view)
https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...IVQ9GACh3_bwVP

Old 07-29-2015, 04:34 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
What do you mean by "trashy"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington