Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2015, 06:02 PM

57 posts, read 143,480 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the area this summer and my husband will be teaching at Pacific Lutheran University. I've been researching incessantly since we found out and we're very excited about the location! Our big decision right now is where to look for a rental home (we'll only be there a few years), but I'm getting somewhat mixed advice from contacts we already have in the area.

We have children who will be in elementary school and entering middle (and possibly a year of high school) while we're living there so we need to find a nice town with good schools that isn't too far from PLU. We've been told to look in University Place, Fircrest, Steilacoom, DuPont and parts of Tacoma (North, west, central and the stadium district have been mentioned). Would it be a traffic nightmare to consider homes in Lacey?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 AM

370 posts, read 1,068,584 times
You may also consider the Silver Creek area of Puyallup Emma Carson is a good school. Lacey Traffic can be be bad around the bases. The puyallup to Tacoma traffic is very manageable with a couple of alternative back roads, rents are also affordable in the 1400-1600 range. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:05 AM

18 posts, read 43,861 times
I wouldn't recommend living in Lacey and commuting to PLU. I live near PLU and for 3 years commuted to Lacey. Depending on the time of day, the traffic by the military base in both directions is a nightmare. I was relieved to find a job in Tacoma so I no longer have to deal with the commute by the base. Franklin Pierce which is by PLU has a terrible rental market. We're moving soon and it was hard finding anything that had a yard in the district. We're not able to move out of the district due to my son's daycare but if we could I would probably rent in Puyallup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington