Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 AM

5,465 posts, read 7,761,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm not convinced that 999 out of 1000 Washington state residents are tax-evading criminals...
Not what I said.

What I said was that I bet only 1 out of a thousand Washingtonians who SHOP in Oregon actually voluntarily send in the sales tax payment to the Washington Department of Revenue for goods that they bought in Oregon and paid no sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,492,428 times
As a native Washingtonian going back 5 generations, I love Oregon. The eastern part has so many more interesting places and your coast is way more accessible. You have fewer people and your drivers seem more polite other than the elder drivers on the coast who tend to pull out in front of you or make a left turn all at the last moment. Your housing is less expensive and you don't have any sales tax. Yep, a great state!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:34 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,275,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
As a native Washingtonian going back 5 generations, I love Oregon. The eastern part has so many more interesting places and your coast is way more accessible. You have fewer people and your drivers seem more polite other than the elder drivers on the coast who tend to pull out in front of you or make a left turn all at the last moment. Your housing is less expensive and you don't have any sales tax. Yep, a great state!
I have to disagree with this. When I did live in Centralia, all the locals that I knew had a kind-of ongoing game when driving on I-5 (in Washington): if a really crappy driver was spotted - speeding, tailgating, weaving across lanes, etc. - bets would be taken on the chances that driver was from OR before anyone got close enough to see the license plates. It was amazing how often it was true.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:59 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,511,797 times
On the other hand, Washington has so many drivers going so many places and thinking they have to get everyplace so fast (even if they think they're better drivers than Oregon drivers) that they're smooshing and stifling most normal driver's chances of enjoying their western Washington drive.

This does not apply to eastern Washington, although some of these hicks are fairly Richard Petty-driven in their own way, too. Because, after all, Seattle and Washington are more important than these Oregon-type states, right?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
On the other hand, Washington has so many drivers going so many places and thinking they have to get everyplace so fast (even if they think they're better drivers than Oregon drivers) that they're smooshing and stifling most normal driver's chances of enjoying their western Washington drive.

This does not apply to eastern Washington, although some of these hicks are fairly Richard Petty-driven in their own way, too. Because, after all, Seattle and Washington are more important than these Oregon-type states, right?
The difference between Western WA drivers and Eastern WA drivers is that in Western WA, everyone has to get there first, leading to drivers weaving in-and-out of traffic, cutting people off, etc., while the hicks in Eastern WA aren't in quite the hurry, but they just don't know what a stop light or turn signal mean...

Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,511,797 times
The difference between Western WA drivers and Eastern WA drivers is that in Western WA, everyone has to get there first, leading to drivers weaving in-and-out of traffic, cutting people off, etc., while the hicks in Eastern WA aren't in quite the hurry, but they just don't know what a stop light or turn signal mean...

PS90 - I have noted that in most places in America not only do people not use a turn signal any more, even on the interstate, but 4-way stops are getting more and more comical because the rules for who goes first must be difficult for them to understand or something. So usually someone just guns it and goes come hell or high water.

It's the person who gets there first that goes first. Or, if it's a tie or even close, it's the person on the right. If it's two cars directly across from each other at the 4-way stop, it's whoever got there first. If it's a tie the old hand-wave can work. Notice I said can work.

And what's this thing on my steering column that makes this green arrow flash on and off on my dashscreen, anyway? I'm supposed ta signal when I change lanes? Huh? No way! Or they're just too lazy to turn it on. Or, and this was one explanation about the disappearing use of the turn signal, people don't want to signal because the L.A. drivers view the turn signal flashing as competition and close the gap so fast that was there that the person signaling actually avoids turning it on anymore. Good old Richard Petty driving made famous in So-Cal. I like it when these reasons people give make a semblance of sense rather than just the same old cheeseburger-fries-Coke fat and lazy American reason for being too lazy ta turn one's turn signal on anymore.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:32 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,131,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Not what I said.

What I said was that I bet only 1 out of a thousand Washingtonians who SHOP in Oregon actually voluntarily send in the sales tax payment to the Washington Department of Revenue for goods that they bought in Oregon and paid no sales tax.
Where it gets interesting is how many people shop online and don't pay their taxes on those purchases. Those numbers are much higher than how many go to Oregon to evade taxes. The reality is that there's a lot of dirty criminals out there. Some who drive across borders like Hemlock140, and others that do it all from home.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Where it gets interesting is how many people shop online and don't pay their taxes on those purchases. Those numbers are much higher than how many go to Oregon to evade taxes. The reality is that there's a lot of dirty criminals out there. Some who drive across borders like Hemlock140, and others that do it all from home.
I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic, although it's hard to tell on these forums sometimes. Although the use tax had been around for a while, I would be shocked if ANYONE pays it, the DOR certainly has no means to enforce it, and, I'm not an attorney, but I don't think that failing to pay the use tax is a criminal act, just as receiving a speeding ticket is not a criminal act, and the RCW is vague on what goods require the use tax and what doesn't.

Again, hopefully you're being sarcastic. If not, it might be time to lighten up a little.

Last edited by PS90; 03-22-2015 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-22-2015, 05:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
You do know that we pay sales tax for Amazon, right? There are other retailers of course but most have a presence in Washington State, so we still pay online sales taxes.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM

22,667 posts, read 24,635,434 times
I don't hate Oregon....but I find it VERY weird and communistic.

Driving through Oregon, I do my best to enter with a full tank of gas......so I do not have to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington