Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,225 times

Advertisements

My family and I are in need of a move. We are currently living in Phoenix and we are sick of the heat. The move wouldn't be for a year and a half, we would like to buy a home (if we can sell our current one) but have no ideas of school districts, community safety, and of course real estate prices to begin our process. Can anyone point me to a starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 AM

392 posts, read 1,557,986 times
Gig Harbor is always going to get my vote! Not the cheapest place to live, but not the most expensive either. Great schools, great proximity to Seattle, Olympia, Portland, etc. One of the most beautiful places you'll ever find, too!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:50 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,141,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofheat7797 View Post
My family and I are in need of a move. We are currently living in Phoenix and we are sick of the heat. The move wouldn't be for a year and a half, we would like to buy a home (if we can sell our current one) but have no ideas of school districts, community safety, and of course real estate prices to begin our process. Can anyone point me to a starting point.
Sickofheat,
I just posted an article about Olympia, WA having been ranked number one nationwide as most secure mid-sized city.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...umber-one.html

I'm partial, because I live in Olympia, and feel safe and comfortable here. If you want to check crime statistics and other useful information about towns, the city-data site offers a lot of information:
www.city-data.com/city/Washington.html

For more information on Olympia, check out the city's website:
Welcome to the City of Olympia

To check out Washington schools, you might find this site helpful:
Washington State Report Card

Once you've decided on a particular area to settle down, your Realtor will be a great resource for local school information and community resources.

Good luck with the sale of your home.

Sandy

Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,110 times
Exclamation Phoenix to Washington

Hi there. Moving from Phoenix to Washington, quite a journey, but well worth it in my opinion. Im not sure how you get along with big city living, but if it is your thing (as it is mine) I think it fair to warn you about the ridiculous high prices to buy (and rent) a home in the greater Seattle area. I say that because while big city living is something I miss tremendously, I couldnt afford to keep living in Portland, so I moved to Yakima. Seattle is even more expensive than Portland. I was paying $650.00 for a very small, dumpy one bedroom apartment on the outskirts of downtown Portland and that was the cheapest I could find. If youre ok with living in a mid-sized market, might i suggest Yakima (where I live) - compaired to Seattle or Spokane or Portland, we actually still get 4 seasons. (Yes, Seattle, in the summer we still can go swimming) - The summer months are from June through August and the hottest it has ecer gotten has been 110, but that only happened once since i have been here (3 years), the majority of the time Spring through Fall it is very comfortable short-wearing weather, but definately not near as hot as Phoenix. Also, the cost of living here is a ton lower than anything you will find in the aforementioned large cities. Yakima is up and coming, large business corporations are looking to Yakima County, Grant County, and Franklin County to move due to low electric bills, and the land is cheaper. Yakima has a ton of radio stations (if that is important to you), great portable high speed internet that you can access from anywhere, the Costco corportation has overgrown their call center in their home town, Kirkland so is expanding to the Yakima market, and the comittee for downtown yakima has hired the same marketing company as New York's Times Square. Yes, Yakima has had its share of poor thoughts from nearby large city citizens, but regardless of their thoughts about it being small, it HAS grown and is continuing to and will only get bigger and better. Please visit [url=http://www.downtownyakima.com/]Downtown Yakima, WA | Operation Downtown Renaissance[/url] for information about downtown Yakima, and Yakima Herald Republic Online - Yakima, Washington News, Classifieds, Information, Advertising (broken link) for opinions on how Yakima is growing and becoming Central Washington's premier location because of our proximities to Seattle, PDX and Spokane.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM

40 posts, read 177,687 times
not sure what type of area you are looking for, but the Tri-Cities area is high desert just east of Yakima by 80 miles. We have the Columbia River, Snake River and Yakima River as well as the fastest growing area in the state. The schools are top notch, education is a big priority with residents here as we have the 2nd highest number of PhD's outside of Los Alamos NM in the United States and the quality of living is top notch. You'll find well thought our neighborhoods, business districts and many new stores opening up. The per capita income here is some of the highest in the state as well, which bodes well for more new business ventures to come into town. Visit the Tri-City Regional Chabmer of Commerce for more info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington