Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:32 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times

Advertisements

So we are most likely moving to the Seattle area from Texas. We are wondering if WA has any weird laws or weird cultural differences.

For example, I was born and raised in California and moved to Texas in my 20s and I had a bit of a culture shock. With things like not being able to buy hard liquor at the grocery store, you have to find a wet city and go to a liquor store, plus no sales on Sunday. Right when I moved to Texas the city I lived in finally legalized stores to be able to sell beer within city limits. It is illegal for car dealers to be open on Sunday. In the corp world they are really strict when it comes to dress codes, the days of wearing shorts and flip flops to the office were over.

Weird things like that. What weird stuff is around WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
You used to have to buy liquor from state-run stores only, but that changed recently. The taxes on spirits are pretty painful, though.

Dress codes- if they even exist- are generally fairly relaxed here, in all but certain fields. Probably similar to the Bay Area.

Cannabis is- within certain restrictions- legal here, of course.

There are a lot of areas where you're technically not supposed to smoke, although how enforced this is varies by the location and time of day.

You can't buy any alcohol after 2am, and bars stop serving by 1:30.

If I think of more I'll add to this...

Old 11-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
No smoking within 25 feet of any doorway.

The harassing of a Bigfoot, Sasquatch is a felony.

Illegal to spit on a bus.

Illegal to paint polka-dots on the American Flag.

In Everett, It is illegal to display a hypnotized or allegedly hypnotized person in a store window.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:43 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The harassing of a Bigfoot, Sasquatch is a felony.

And just how many WA residents been convicted of harassing a Bigfoot?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'd guess none, we probably would have heard about it. More research indicate that this is not a state law, it was Skamania County that passed a law regarding Bigfoot in 1969 declaring that "any willful, wanton slaying of such creatures shall be deemed a felony" subject to substantial fine and/or imprisonment.

In Whatcom County, a bill was drafted (92-247) on 6/9/91, which unanimously passed a resolution declaring Whatcom County a Sasquatch Protection and Refuge Area.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

In Whatcom County, a bill was drafted (92-247) on 6/9/91, which unanimously passed a resolution declaring Whatcom County a Sasquatch Protection and Refuge Area.
That's awesome.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Weird laws in WA take on a whole new meaning if you are an employer or business owner and filing quarterly reports.

Us Skamaniacs take Bigfoot to a higher level.
Ordinances and County Code | Commissioners
Bigfoot News | Bigfoot Lunch Club: Skamania County
Bigfoot Bash and Bounty - Central Cascades Geotourism Project (no association with this myself)
The “Bounty” is a scavenger hunt pulling the seeker into surrounding areas in search of the elusive creature. Find him in the form of a 8-foot tall plywood cutout (there are at least a dozen to find) and be entered into a drawing for magnificent prizes. But remember, you can only “hunt” Bigfoot with a camera in Skamania County, no harming or killing this peaceful being

Old 11-07-2014, 11:56 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,670,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
So we are most likely moving to the Seattle area from Texas. We are wondering if WA has any weird laws or weird cultural differences.

For example, I was born and raised in California and moved to Texas in my 20s and I had a bit of a culture shock. With things like not being able to buy hard liquor at the grocery store, you have to find a wet city and go to a liquor store, plus no sales on Sunday. Right when I moved to Texas the city I lived in finally legalized stores to be able to sell beer within city limits. It is illegal for car dealers to be open on Sunday.
I'm confused now, which is the state full of people who go on about freedom and small government a lot?

The only weird laws I have come across in WA are that a person of a certain age can be considered too irresponsible to drink alcohol, but responsible enough to be arrested for doing so.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:31 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
The Bigfoot would have to file a complaint.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Most of us *like* rain. So be careful about saying "crappy weather today" to a stranger on a rainy day.

The gay barista will tell you all about his hot date last night if you give him a chance. Gay teenagers hold hands in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: