Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,258,210 times

Advertisements

...be sure to check out the Washington Picture thread. Some amazing captures of incomparable beauty.

I see now that when we retire to Sequim there will be lots of rewarding travel opportunities close by in our new home state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpindogs View Post
...be sure to check out the Washington Picture thread. Some amazing captures of incomparable beauty.

I see now that when we retire to Sequim there will be lots of rewarding travel opportunities close by in our new home state.
And realize that many of the pics were taken during our very short summer (but with long days!!!)

I.e. Don't miss WA 100 days of summer if you live on the we_tside!

If you heat by wood, are an avid gardener, or a farmer, or are active in sports (especially cycling), you will be very busy in the summer and need to hibernate in the winter to rest up!

If you have to leave WA during the summer to visit other locales, you lose a yr of your life.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And realize that many of the pics were taken during our very short summer (but with long days!!!)

I.e. Don't miss WA 100 days of summer if you live on the we_tside!

If you heat by wood, are an avid gardener, or a farmer, or are active in sports (especially cycling), you will be very busy in the summer and need to hibernate in the winter to rest up!

If you have to leave WA during the summer to visit other locales, you lose a yr of your life.
LOL! Yes, we plan on busy summers and laid back winters. Except I plan on hiking all winter long. During the day. The short day.

I cannot imagine summering elsewhere if one lives in the PNW.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,760,997 times
I bike year round here, both for commuting and for fun. It's really not that difficult but you have to have the right clothing and, perhaps most importantly, good fenders. (I don't own a car, so I'm outside a LOT) In fact, I think I enjoy biking on a cool, damp day more than a sunny summer one, but I'm not as likely to take pictures because I don't want to get my camera wet Hiking in the winter, at least to me, is not really a challenge at all. If it's drizzling I just wear my rain coat. Not even an issue.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I bike year round here, both for commuting and for fun. .... Not even an issue.
YMMV.

I have had 3 WA friends killed while biking in the PNW winter (blurred wipers / dark / slick)

I biked nearly everyday when in Colorado (30 yrs) (wide shoulders (for snow removal) / many bikers (motorists recognize and look for bikes) / free use of right lane for bikers), but seldom biked in 30 yrs in PNW (rural living). Too narrow of roads, and dark. I use my 50mpg 'grease car' with heater and wipers. The car cost 1/10th the price of my bike and uses free fuel that has no emissions, so I'm not out much (except health benefit of cycling) I do miss that since I rode many thousand miles / yr.

In the PNW summer, I am too busy getting ready for winter to spend time biking. (Farmer activities).

Enjoy your WA benefits however they come.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,156,512 times
Stealth.. You do realize this is insanely mild for those of us from the upper Midwest yes?

When we get 6 inches of snow every day in March, and the average temp is around d 0 for 3 months with snow and ice deep in the ground for 7 months.. Then I will take whinning about biking in winter seriously...

Your soft,...
This is a tropical heaven.. Compared to the lake superior snow belt.

Last edited by TrueTimbers; 09-25-2014 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 11:49 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,760,997 times
You do need to make sure your bike is very well lit if you ride in the winter, of course. Especially if you know you'll be riding after dark. But that goes for any other state, too. So far I've been biking here for three years without incident, which is more than I could go in a couple of weeks in Tennessee (where I moved from). But like anywhere, you have to make yourself visible and be predictable. That's just common sense.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 AM

403 posts, read 682,508 times
Go talk to some folks that ride with Seattle Randonneurs. They'll show you how to light up a bike and make it rideable year 'round. Fenders are a must during the wet part of the year. Many of them are bike commuters as well, as it fits into training for their rides.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
YMMV.

I have had 3 WA friends killed while biking in the PNW winter (blurred wipers / dark / slick)

I biked nearly everyday when in Colorado (30 yrs) (wide shoulders (for snow removal) / many bikers (motorists recognize and look for bikes) / free use of right lane for bikers), but seldom biked in 30 yrs in PNW (rural living). Too narrow of roads, and dark. I use my 50mpg 'grease car' with heater and wipers. The car cost 1/10th the price of my bike and uses free fuel that has no emissions, so I'm not out much (except health benefit of cycling) I do miss that since I rode many thousand miles / yr.

In the PNW summer, I am too busy getting ready for winter to spend time biking. (Farmer activities).

Enjoy your WA benefits however they come.
So sorry to hear about your friends, StealthRabbit.

Road biking can be dangerous anywhere. I work at SE WI's only Level I Trauma Center and we get lots of biking traumas in the summer. I was run off the road by a car while biking close to the curb on a very wide road along Milwaukee's Lake Park when I was in college...dumped my bike and earned some cuts and bruises. So I have some road biking fears myself. Which is why I rarely bike roads opting instead for trails. And why we were thrilled to find property so close to the Discovery Trail for biking fun. However, even though we are only about 1/4 mile from the DT we will prolly load bikes and drive to the DT...Palo Alto is too curvy/narrow and crossing 101 there is dicey in a car let alone a bike.

At work we see the tragic evidence that an argument between a bike and a car, or even a motorcycle and a car, always end up in favor of the car. We don't call motorcycles "donorcycles" for laughs. Those are odds I don't care to fight.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
You do need to make sure your bike is very well lit if you ride in the winter, of course. Especially if you know you'll be riding after dark. But that goes for any other state, too. So far I've been biking here for three years without incident, which is more than I could go in a couple of weeks in Tennessee (where I moved from). But like anywhere, you have to make yourself visible and be predictable. That's just common sense.
Definitely. And I agree that drivers in some areas of the country are much more tuned in to watching for bikers than other areas.

But the fact remains that if you are biking roads anywhere you are putting your life in the hands of the drivers on that road. And, if one of those drivers happens to be texting or reaching for coffee or spilling that coffee (and so on and so forth), you may wind up the casualty of their inattentive driving. Because that argument will always be won by the car.

I see road biking as living on the edge. Like sky diving and race car driving. But that's prolly cause I see the results and help clean up the sad mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: