Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 02:01 PM

35 posts, read 90,613 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First time posting in this forum so please be gentle with me.

I did a search on city-data but could not find the town Mazama. I know it exists since I live in Mount Vernon which is about 100 miles (off my head) west of Mazama. I did a search on some real estate websites and found most houses on sale to be above $250K.

So what's the draw about Mazama? I know there are plenty of rocks for climbing, snow for snowmobiling, etc., but what are the other factors for the high cost properties considering the fact that it's not near any areas with plenty of industries for jobs. In fact, where do people who live there work? What kind of jobs do they do?

I'm asking out of curiosity. I wouldn't mind living there if I could find a job that can pay for the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM

113 posts, read 877,691 times
Not specific to Mazama, but regarding that area including Twisp & Winthrop. Many times the value of the house is driven up by the fact that the majority of homes in these "out of the way" areas come with a little bit of land with them, instead of the normal postage stamp size parcel. Other factors include surrounded by forest land, near lakes and rivers, etc. Although locals make up well over 50% of the population, this area is a popular home buying destination for people that are retired or are looking for a second home that is "away from it all" and surrounded by the forest and this fact can also drive up home prices.

A very beautiful area!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,065,404 times
Mazama only has a population of several hundred at the most. It's rather isolated in the winter because of the closure of the North Cascades highway. Like you say, it is a nice place for snowmobiling and cross-country skiing in the winter but you'll have to take highway 2 over Stevens Pass to get over there because of the closure of highway 20.

You may have to go into the Okanogan/Omak area or even Wenatchee to find a job, however.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM

57 posts, read 238,756 times
Cle Elum is like that - a resident there told me a couple of years ago that lots of people live there but that anybody that worked mostly drove over to Ellensburg. Which is problematic when they close 1-90 in the winter. Also, that is the nearest location for a hospital for them.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:42 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,065,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcjmom View Post
Cle Elum is like that - a resident there told me a couple of years ago that lots of people live there but that anybody that worked mostly drove over to Ellensburg. Which is problematic when they close 1-90 in the winter. Also, that is the nearest location for a hospital for them.

True, rjcjmom. Cle Elum does depend on Ellensburg for a lot of their support which includes jobs.

However, Mazama is quite a bit smaller and much more isolated than Cle Elum. Cle Elum is located along the interstate and I-90 is a priority roadway to keep open during the winter.

Mazama, on the other hand, is located on SR-20 which is closed entirely during the winter. This cuts Mazama off from the west all winter. Even during the times when SR-20 is open to through traffic, the traffic flow is not that great.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 AM

57 posts, read 238,756 times
True, true . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington