Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,792 posts, read 4,160,599 times

Advertisements

Thanks for setting me straight. Good to know, cuz though that area has some problems, I don't consider crime really one of them. But I *do* see folks in other forums and posts carrying on about crime rates in certain places, and the stats just don't confirm their perception. I've lived in a few places that really do have crime problems, and it greatly detracts from the quality of life. People in lower crime areas may not know how good they have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 PM

26 posts, read 138,321 times
Default Aberdeen

I currently live in Aberdeen. Like all areas, it has it's drugs and problems. One thing no one mentioned is that it's on the very rainy side of WA so you had better enjoy lots and lots of rain!! I've only lived here for 5 months but so far, the neighbors have been friendly, the area is pretty. Lots and lots of old houses, some are on the upswing, other areas not. cost of living is on the lower side compared to more urban areas. Close to the ocean if you like that and less than an hour from Olympia which is a very cool very nice place to visit - good shopping, very pretty and clean, diverse people...etc etc. cost of living is high there or that is where I'd be I wouldn't expect to get a job quickly in the area of Aberdeen/Hoquiam tho - rather depressed area in that regards - have a job promised before coming if you can?

It's not a bad place - I hate the rain but love the ocean so it balances out.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:05 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,860,098 times
Well...boatguy I think a trip to the Northwest is in order for you. If you are really considering a move up here then why not come on out to see for yourself? I've looked online at homes for sale in the Aberdeen area. Prices are nice and affordabe. It may be worth it to take a chance. You might find that you like the area.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 41,588 times
Ive lived right outside of aberdeen (in Montesano) all my life except for 2 years that i lived in aberdeen and honestly i couldnt wait to move back to montesano. I perfer the small town living which i didnt really find in aberdeen. I primarily go to aberdeen to go to college and grocery shop but it is not somewhere i would want to live again. It isnt that far from the beaches which is a plus, but when driving downtown it does remind me of a dump. Cost wise it isnt to bad, but when i know adults who wont walk downtown at night due to it not feeling all that safe, well, i found that Aberdeen is not somewhere where i would want to raise my son. But thats just my personal opinion.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 18,501 times
What about the schools there? My daughter is 4 and autistic. My husband was born in Longview, and has lived in different towns in Wa. Until moving to California when he was 33. We are thinking about moving to Washington with our 2 children. We also have a large amount of cats we are bringing. We are trying to find a nice are with about 10 acres or more.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:23 PM

199 posts, read 1,515,477 times
I have no idea how well the schools accommodate special needs children, but here is a listing of all the schools (and links to the school districts) in Grays Harbor County:

Gray's Harbor - Chamber of Commerce (http://www.graysharbor.org/schools.php - broken link)

good luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 AM

10 posts, read 45,735 times
I grew up in Aberdeen and a lot of my family still lives there...
negatives
poverty one of the highest levels in the state last I checked it was around 22% live at or below the line. High suicide rates and levels of alcoholism. If you think Seattle or Olympia are rainy Grays Harbor is worse. Terrible job market(I would hardly call 50 biodiesel jobs a replacement for 245 lost pulp mill jobs...that's not an improvement). Low education levels graduation rate when I was there was about 50% in the 90's. I wouldn't count on high level of special needs education they were having budget shortfalls already with the enrollment not meeting projections. Also, my sister-in-law was a special needs educator and would start praying if she thought of someone having to send their child to Aberdeen.

positives
space to enjoy the outdoors(hunting, fishing)...some very nice people to balance out the not so nice ones. lower cost of living. If you live in the right area it can be nice

consult a local before moving/buying or try renting. Don't listen to a realtor. talk to someone you wouldn't mind having as a neighbor and see where they live or would live.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 PM

14 posts, read 70,169 times
I was born In Aberdeen and most of my family is still there. My brother lives in Aberdeen and works in the shipyard in Westport. Not a bad place for anyone wanting to work within the boating business. LOL Of course that can be said for a lot of places in Western Washington... But Aberdeen is my hometown. I've gotten spoiled by living in the country for the last few years, I'm thinking that we should move back closer to the family...

Old 02-29-2008, 07:44 AM

14 posts, read 55,413 times
My sister moved to Aberdeen in July of 2007 with her boyfriend. After several months of trying to acclimate to an area that she says seems like it's right out of a tv drama she is moving back to Southern California. The coast is beautiful and the cost of living is low, relatively speaking, but the shortage of quality employment opportunities, shopping amenities and conveniences and just the overall dreary weather is not suited for everyone. I've noticed that many posters compare Aberdeen's weather to Seattle's weather - but the weather in Seattle is damp and dreary also. We're from Southern California, near the base of Mt. Baldy, where amenities, opportunities and activities abound. Aberdeen's population is eclectic, and the Town has apparently seen better days decades ago. The mayor's office claims there are big plans for revitalization, but without business support the plan won't be successful. Per capita, there's a huge drug problem, which oftentimes goes hand in hand with poverty. My sister thought the area was beautiful for the first month or so, but then reality sank in.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 AM

61 posts, read 333,305 times
I lived there for 2 years and Elma for almost a year. I loved the fact that it is right by the ocean, but to enjoy the ocean, it has to be about 80 degrees out. The wind is chilly there at the beach in Westport. The area really makes one depressed! The drugs are in your face anywhere you go. (people smile and have no teeth) There are alot of people there who don't like change. The drizzle and rain, average rainfall in Hoquiam is 78.6" of rain where as Seattle is 36.2" of rain. When you live in it, it seems way more rain than that!! It took along time after moving from that area to not get ready to cover your head when clouds rolled in. The clouds there always had drizzle or rain falling from it! I would not recommend this area to people from other parts of the country!! You will wish you never went there after being there for a while! Yes, there are some great people who live there!! I met many, but that wasn't enough to keep me living there!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington