Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2007, 09:22 AM

36 posts, read 107,239 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving from the upper midwest, MN to be exact. We want to be in a smaller town/city on or near the coast. She is a Social Worker, I'm a Marine Technician/Mechanic/equipment operator. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 11:07 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,844,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguy View Post
...We want to be in a smaller town/city on or near the coast...
The only "city" in Washington on the Pacific Coast is Aberdeen. I happen to like it, but a search on this forum will show that most people consider it a pretty dismal, depressing, place.

If you can settle for the shores of the sound rather than the coast, you will have many more opportunities as there are dozens of small cities on or near the water.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 AM

Any you could reccomend?

Old 12-25-2007, 03:53 PM

The best thing to do would be to look at a map of the state and do a search on this forum for opinions about any that look promising.

I'll bet it will have lots of info posted about it. Ignore those posts that are obviously by real estate or chamber of commerce shills.

I've always liked Port Angeles.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
..I'm a Marine Technician/Mechanic/equipment operator...
I'm not sure what your trade involves, but if it has to do with large ships, you will be pretty much limited to the port cities of Seattle and Tacoma, and to a lesser degree maybe Bremerton and Aberdeen.

If it has to do with smaller vessels like fishing or pleasure craft, you will probably find jobs all over the sound and the coast from Gray's Harbor south to the Columbia River. Although they may not pay what you are used to, and it may be difficult for your wife to find a job in many of those areas.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 AM

Default Port Angeles or Port Townsend

Can anyone tell me about either of these places? Weather, employment, housing, crime? Any local blogs I can check out. Thanks

Old 12-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,170,577 times
a Fed job at the numerous military shipyards might help pay the bills, but they are all located on the sound (inland waters). There is a fishing fleet in Illwaco, just across the bridge from Astoria, OR, where there is plenty of shopping + more jobs, (warrenton). But OR has an 8% Income tax if you earn income there, and live in WA

www.usajobs.com for federal openings

I'd look into Port Orchard, Bremerton, (more social work jobs here) + Port Angeles, Grays Harbor, Illwaco for a lower cost of living than the SEA metro area.

You should also look into Bellingham, as it has a port, it is a very nice area and close to BC, but expensive to live. It has a pretty diverse economy and several college options and decent cultural events.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 PM

95 posts, read 380,836 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me about either of these places? Weather, employment, housing, crime? Any local blogs I can check out. Thanks
Port Angeles will have more opportunities, for sure. Beware of culture shock with these towns, however. The average IQ has got to be lower than the national average! I moved to Port Townsend from a college town, and lived there for more than a decade. That was a shock to my system, but of course the locals don't notice, as most of them haven't ever left the peninsula!! Beautiful scenery though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington