Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM

15 posts, read 15,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronD01 View Post
So, if not Forks, where?
I wouldn't recommend moving to a small town, like most of the other people in here are saying. Coming from a small town they are boring and jobs are hard to come by. I'm not too familiar with the area, but Port Angeles sounds great. Not too big, not too small. Just get a job, learn to balance work and school and friends and learn to be happy. Spend time by yourself, go to parks, museums, explore and immerse yourself in your new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 08:57 AM

78 posts, read 154,076 times
Default Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronD01 View Post
Thanks, yeah I don't know what is is about that area, but I may just be following a bad pattern that I have. I seem to isolate myself as much as possible, I've been doing that for a long time.

I won't be moving to Forks. I need to be able to get a job and that's clearly not going to happen there.
Aaron,
I really hope you find what you are looking for. I understand what you mean about family environment. I'm not clear on why you are pursuing high school instead of college but to each his own. Personally, I could not wait to leave high school because of the social environment. I did a summer semester at a university the summer before senior year and to have to go back to hs after that was mind numbing. I hope things are going well. I too love WA state and we would live in WA if we had more of a choice in regards to work in that area. I have been to Forks. It is not ideal to start over there unless one is a subsistence living individual. lol
I hope you make your move and I would look into the Dave Ramsey book. Start out financially fit. Don't take out student loans. Do a student work program or get a job to pay your way through college. Student loans are not worth paying off for the rest of your life.
How is your game coming along. It sounds like you have been working on it for a long time.
As far as being more social I would start by embracing new things. Church, clubs, meet up groups. I think meetup. com might come in handy for gamers meetings etc. Be encouraged. I understand being held back and depressed because of the mindset of family. It's a weird middle ground of not hating your family but not wanting to be around them because they suck the air out of the room.
If you are a senior in High School are you looing into colleges? Given you IQ I'd say your a shoe in for some academic scholarships.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM

1,155 posts, read 963,415 times
Take a look at Cascadia College in Bothell. It shares a campus with UW Bothell, and it's a great place to study.

Bellevue College would also be a very good choice.

You can get in with your GED and start taking classes immediately. You may not be aware, but in WA many of the best and brightest students of high school age are already taking college classes through Running Start. Many are high school students only in name. They spend their days studying at college. That way, they can be awarded a high school diploma and a 2-year degree at the same time, and then transfer to a 4-year college as a Junior, saving themselves heaps of money and time.

Forgot to add: In WA, your high school pays your tuition when you study at college through Running Start.

Last edited by josie13; 11-25-2014 at 11:19 AM..

Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 AM

147 posts, read 230,400 times
Frankly I have a few suggestions for you, just ideas and something to consider. There are some programs for young adults. One of them is the Job Corps or Americorps or the US Military, which is not taking drop outs at this time, but if you get your GED you could possibly manage it. I feel bad for young people like yourself who have not been given direction by your parents. Your best direction would be a major large city, not a tiny town. You should stay away from states that allow recreational pot smoking because if you get involved with that your brain can be damaged. If you truly want to make a difference in the world and make your own way you will have to be stubborn and make good choices and not follow leaders that don't know where they are going. Stay off the internet too, its not good for you. If I were you I would go out to Wyoming, Montana or Colorado, Texas or North Dakota and get a really good paying job with the oil fields, right now those states are BOOMING, there are tons of jobs and many of them require no experience and they have what they call "man camps" which is a place to stay and sponsored by the companies that employ people. Work there for a few years and save your money, then you will have a good start on life, you could get an education, or buy a house when you are done working the oil fields. Yes, that is a good idea. Buy a Greyhound bus ticket to one of those states after you do your research first to see who is hiring. Midland Texas is one good place to start. Idaho has 4.1% unemployment right now that is very low which means there are a lot of jobs and not enough people to fill them, many of them are in retail and farming but I suggest the oil fields because you are young and no obligations to others and you can earn a lot of money, even a Walmart employee in MT earns $15 per hour right now!

Old 10-27-2015, 05:37 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Take a look at Cascadia College in Bothell. It shares a campus with UW Bothell, and it's a great place to study.

Bellevue College would also be a very good choice.
I see those places on the news all the time,if they want to chill out and lay back for awhile Forks or other smaller towns would be better.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I was there a few weeks ago. There's not much there. Only one store. Only action in town is at the bowling alley. Unemployment = 9.0%. The closest sizable town is Port Angeles, about an hour away.

It rains over 200 days a year, over 120 inches/year. That's well over three times what Seattle gets, which has a reputation for being wet.
Not sure how much you can gather from just passing through but those points are correct, no jobs at all and currently we're getting hit with el nino or something because it's been one storm after another flooding out roads and bringing frequent power outages. Heck my cell phone even has no service,so if you like a remote feeling while being in a small town then it's ok.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,532,554 times
^^^This storm is a little extreme, but this what Olympic Peninsula winter weather is like, especially in the Forks area.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmackay View Post
I traveled from GA to Forks last week to see if it would be a nice place to live (I've camped there before.) Answer: pretty, but awfully desolate and depressed.
I'm seeing that more and more as time goes by here...in no other towns on the peninsula do I have more problems with the people than in Forks. It's more than just the jobs...maybe they're old loggers in pain or something but most are grumpy hiding behind an exterior. Say the wrong thing and the whole town network will band against you...

Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post

Say the wrong thing and the whole town network will band against you...
In the Spring, to appease the Forest Gods, the Natives of Forks perform an ancient logging ritual and attack the newcomers with axes and chainsaws.

If any survive, they are strapped to a log truck, driven to Hoquiam, ground up, and shipped to a particle board factory in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington