Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 8,983 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Pullman in a month and we need tips on where to live. We're both in our 30's and will be working in the area. We have considered living in Moscow, ID, as well, but aren't sure which one is better for young-ish couples without children yet. Any suggestions on places to live? We would prefer to be away from where most of the college student housing is, but also close to the town if that's possible.

We're also avid cyclists and runners, and are interested in local groups to join around those areas.

Thanks for any advice you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
So, are you going to school at WAZZU? Or working at Schweizer? Or what? To me, that would make a big difference on where I wanted to live.

The only comment I would make about living in Moscow is that the highway between the two cities can be pretty dicey at times - there seems to be a lot of accidents on that road. May just be the dumb-college-driver factor, or may be weather-related, I don't know - but I remember a ton of crashes there.

Moscow is a nice town, however, and has some forested land to the East, rather than just the endless rolling wheat of the Palouse. The student concentration in Moscow is less than Pullman, but there will still be plenty of them wherever you go.

Another spot to consider would be Albion - a tiny little town about 3 miles out of Pullman to the Northwest. There are few students there, except the ones who have bought mobile homes to live for grad school, vet school, etc. Albion is off of a highway that has relatively low traffic, and would be a great spot if you were interested in riding a bike to Pullman on a regular basis.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 8,983 times
Thanks for the reply! My boyfriend will be working in Pullman, I'm still working on the job so it could be in Pullman or somewhere in Idaho. The commute is one issue, but our other concern is where there is more social life/more to do for our demographic. Any insights there?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatoWa View Post
Thanks for the reply! My boyfriend will be working in Pullman, I'm still working on the job so it could be in Pullman or somewhere in Idaho. The commute is one issue, but our other concern is where there is more social life/more to do for our demographic. Any insights there?
Well, I did go to grad school there for 4 years, so I can tell you that the social scene is very different for a grad student (who is generally somewhat older) than the average undergrad - there are simply much less people in your age group, and much less people who have "been there, done that" when it comes to the bar/party atmosphere. And I would imagine that it may be even more difficult for you guys if you are not connected with the school and are slightly older yet.

Sorry to say.

But it all depends on your initiative. There is far more to do in Pullman than in a comparable-sized town, because of WSU. You could certainly use that to your advantage and attend concerts, plays, collegiate sports, or whatever you may be into.

Or, of course, if you are into the frat-house scene or enjoy hanging out with drunk kids in bars, then you will be all set.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:59 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Default Grad School Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, I did go to grad school there for 4 years, so I can tell you that the social scene is very different for a grad student (who is generally somewhat older) than the average undergrad - there are simply much less people in your age group, and much less people who have "been there, done that" when it comes to the bar/party atmosphere. And I would imagine that it may be even more difficult for you guys if you are not connected with the school and are slightly older yet.

Sorry to say.

But it all depends on your initiative. There is far more to do in Pullman than in a comparable-sized town, because of WSU. You could certainly use that to your advantage and attend concerts, plays, collegiate sports, or whatever you may be into.

Or, of course, if you are into the frat-house scene or enjoy hanging out with drunk kids in bars, then you will be all set.
I have been looking for Pullman threads. What a surprise to see this from you PS90 .

If a couple of things come together, I may be looking at a specialty certificate to augment my grad degree and licenses. I wouldn't want the frat parties. I'd want something more quiet as my time will be studying and clinicals.

What would be a quieter neighborhood for a someone getting another advanced certificate? I wouldn't be able to start at WSU until probably summer or fall 2015. But, I have a lot to consider chosing where to get this additional certification, if it's the one I decide to add to my credentials.

Thanks in advance to any who have suggestions or thoughts.

MSR

Old 08-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I have been looking for Pullman threads. What a surprise to see this from you PS90 .

If a couple of things come together, I may be looking at a specialty certificate to augment my grad degree and licenses. I wouldn't want the frat parties. I'd want something more quiet as my time will be studying and clinicals.

What would be a quieter neighborhood for a someone getting another advanced certificate? I wouldn't be able to start at WSU until probably summer or fall 2015. But, I have a lot to consider chosing where to get this additional certification, if it's the one I decide to add to my credentials.

Thanks in advance to any who have suggestions or thoughts.

MSR
There's actually plenty of areas that aren't crazy and noisy and drunk-frat-boy-infested. As long as you stay away from Greek Row and the huge group of apartments back behind the Rec Center, then most of the rest of Pullman is fairly calm and quiet.

If you want to live in Pullman, then look to the small, neighborhood areas on the outskirts of town. I can't remember the names anymore (it's been a while), but I think it's called Military Hill - a nice neighborhood in the NW corner of town. Or, if you really want it quiet - you can live out of town in Albion or maybe Colton.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
There's actually plenty of areas that aren't crazy and noisy and drunk-frat-boy-infested. As long as you stay away from Greek Row and the huge group of apartments back behind the Rec Center, then most of the rest of Pullman is fairly calm and quiet.

If you want to live in Pullman, then look to the small, neighborhood areas on the outskirts of town. I can't remember the names anymore (it's been a while), but I think it's called Military Hill - a nice neighborhood in the NW corner of town. Or, if you really want it quiet - you can live out of town in Albion or maybe Colton.

Good luck!
Thanks PS 90 for the information. I laughed about the Frat-Boy Infested areas. I've attended four universities so far. I'm fairly good at seeing the Frat areas by now.

I may get back to you later. As I stated earlier, a few things would have to come together for me before I could work on the additional training. But, I'm trying to get basic info now for several universities that offer this training. That helps me keep a file on various schools and what the total picture would look like for me.

If I'm able to do this in 2015, I'm sure you can relate of how deadlines for everything was "last week" when submitting applications.

I don't know how far from campus the other places you mentioned are. I'll check out the info you gave me and add it to my WSU file.

Thanks for any other tips anyone can give me. I need to avoid a lot of stairs wherever I live.

I appreciate your help.

MSR

Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks PS 90 for the information. I laughed about the Frat-Boy Infested areas. I've attended four universities so far. I'm fairly good at seeing the Frat areas by now.

I may get back to you later. As I stated earlier, a few things would have to come together for me before I could work on the additional training. But, I'm trying to get basic info now for several universities that offer this training. That helps me keep a file on various schools and what the total picture would look like for me.

If I'm able to do this in 2015, I'm sure you can relate of how deadlines for everything was "last week" when submitting applications.

I don't know how far from campus the other places you mentioned are. I'll check out the info you gave me and add it to my WSU file.

Thanks for any other tips anyone can give me. I need to avoid a lot of stairs wherever I live.

I appreciate your help.

MSR
No problem.

Good luck with the applications.

Military hill is probably about 1.5-2 miles from campus. Albion is 3 miles out of town, maybe 4 to campus. Colton is probably 15 miles out.

I'm a little concerned about the stairs comment, because Pullman is VERY hilly, and very few places are flat. You end-up going up and down a lot of slopes and in the developed areas - that means a lot of stairs. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:32 AM

Lightbulb A Huge Something for Me!

Quote:
No problem.

Good luck with the applications.

Military hill is probably about 1.5-2 miles from campus. Albion is 3 miles out of town, maybe 4 to campus. Colton is probably 15 miles out.

I'm a little concerned about the stairs comment, because Pullman is VERY hilly, and very few places are flat. You end-up going up and down a lot of slopes and in the developed areas - that means a lot of stairs. Just something to keep in mind.
The stairs is a huge piece for me, PS90. That's why I'm getting info so far in advance. I'm not worried about the application, more about living changes.

Thanks again I can't give you another rep point or I would. You've been very helpful

MSR

Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,739 times
It has been a year--- have you found a place that you are happy with? I am too looking to relocate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington