Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,031,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
It is extremely expensive to live there. Even in the rural areas.
Was that because of the California migration to Washington in the 1990's?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 PM

113 posts, read 877,260 times
I'd say that most people often attract people who are similar to themselves. I've always found the state to be filled with reasonably decent people, peppered with extremely good and extremely bad. Pretty much like anywhere else I've ever lived.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,465,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Bad weather makes people resentful and unhappy.
Nireay and Finland have almost the same climate if not worse, and they are perfectly happy. Grey skies actually have a calming effect, just makes people more tired and sluggish if Anything.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Was that because of the California migration to Washington in the 1990's?
Probably, that and the horrible politicians.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM

455 posts, read 598,944 times
People here are cordial. They are not friendly and don't let them delude themselves into thinking "we're friendly!". No, they are not; they wouldn't know friendly if it hit them upside the head and punched them square in the kisser. Take them to the deep south and they may go into a catatonic fit and run and curl up into the fetal position on the spot.

It's been said on this forum many, many times. People in Western Washington are a very passive aggressive bunch. Say "Hi!" to them on a sidewalk and they may look at you like you have a gigantic dong growing out of your forehead and an ulterior motive to go with it.

I had a woman from Oregon stop me the other day and ask for directions. She was older and needed help and was very upfront in asking me for assistance. After giving her directions, I asked her where she was from and she said "Bend, OR, but originally from Texas" as she touched my arm like an older southern lady typically does. Yeah...you don't see that type of behavior from the natives up here.

I've lived here for 16 years and I too am a Southern Transplant. They are cordial, they are not friendly.

That is all.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Nireay and Finland have almost the same climate if not worse, and they are perfectly happy. Grey skies actually have a calming effect, just makes people more tired and sluggish if Anything.
Meant to say Norway.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
People here are cordial. They are not friendly and don't let them delude themselves into thinking "we're friendly!". No, they are not; they wouldn't know friendly if it hit them upside the head and punched them square in the kisser. Take them to the deep south and they may go into a catatonic fit and run and curl up into the fetal position on the spot.

It's been said on this forum many, many times. People in Western Washington are a very passive aggressive bunch. Say "Hi!" to them on a sidewalk and they may look at you like you have a gigantic dong growing out of your forehead and an ulterior motive to go with it.

I had a woman from Oregon stop me the other day and ask for directions. She was older and needed help and was very upfront in asking me for assistance. After giving her directions, I asked her where she was from and she said "Bend, OR, but originally from Texas" as she touched my arm like an older southern lady typically does. Yeah...you don't see that type of behavior from the natives up here.

I've lived here for 16 years and I too am a Southern Transplant. They are cordial, they are not friendly.

That is all.
As a native to the area I agree for the most part. But in certain areas of the area people are still different. In suburbs south of seattle, people are less passive and nice or agressive. I think that is there cause there is alot of minorities and people who were raised in different areas more concentrated in there. When you go into the city you get a less neighborly feeling.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:32 PM

455 posts, read 598,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
As a native to the area I agree for the most part. But in certain areas of the area people are still different. In suburbs south of seattle, people are less passive and nice or agressive. I think that is there cause there is alot of minorities and people who were raised in different areas more concentrated in there. When you go into the city you get a less neighborly feeling.
Would agree Devan. Out in the smaller towns of Western Washington, people are much nicer. In addition the huge influx of military and retirees really mixing it up.

My block in my neighborhood in Oly is 50% transplants and we have a great time with Neighborhood block parties and get togethers. But even down here, the prevalant attitudes still exist a good bit.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Would agree Devan. Out in the smaller towns of Western Washington, people are much nicer. In addition the huge influx of military and retirees really mixing it up.

My block in my neighborhood in Oly is 50% transplants and we have a great time with Neighborhood block parties and get togethers. But even down here, the prevalant attitudes still exist a good bit.
Bad apples disagrees about people being nicer in the smaller town of Western Washington. Bad apples found that people were the same everywhere Bad apples went in Washington.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Bad apples disagrees about people being nicer in the smaller town of Western Washington. Bad apples found that people were the same everywhere Bad apples went in Washington.
So...everywhere you went people were nasty? Judging by your posts on here that really really surprises me that you'd find nasty people wherever you went

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington