Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 PM

8 posts, read 22,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Is there anywhere in WA where the cost of living is cheap and I can get a an older craftsman houses for under 100,000.....I enjoy great riverfronts, and nostalgic, cutesy downtowns. Is this possible in WA?
you can get one that cheap in the river.

I have seen cheap homes in eastern OR on Craigslist. some in New Mexico.
craftsman mobile homes mostly.

I do not think you are being realistic about prices or locations, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM

307 posts, read 1,423,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella View Post
Yes, probably Centralia, but it is such a mess right now. You might look in Kittitas County, and Pacific County as well as Grays Harbor (Aberdeen, as someone suggested). Sumner, in Pierce County, is perfect except for the price - a little downtown with lots of Craftsman homes.

It's so annoying these days that every single new house is supposedly "Craftsman." They slap up some fascia board and suddenly it's Craftsman...hardly!!
I agree. I work in Historic Preservation, so when I say Craftsman I mean built between around the turn-of-the-century through the 20s. Now...I have friends that live in a brand new house that has some Craftsman-like features. I've dubbed that style/type "builder Craftsmans" to distinguish between the two. They really have almost nothing in common. = )

Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,074,633 times
Default craftsman homes

Texas. This can be found in Texas - but you'll have heat, humidity, roaches, bad-ass mosquito's, floods, tornadoes, and hail which is seriously - no exaggerating - the size of golf balls or larger. But you'll have your craftsman home for 70k or less in some parts, that you can fix up and restore however you like... white picket fence and pecan trees and all... and often on huge lots of land, near cute little downtown areas, and possibly near a river but that's not such a good thing there as most rivers that still have water in them there flood.

I know what you mean though - it sounds ideal.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM

148 posts, read 1,230,285 times
Maybe Aberdeen, Hoquiam or Raymond, but any place within those parameters will likely be fixers, very small or terrible neighborhood.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:15 PM

199 posts, read 1,517,357 times
Depending on your definition of Craftsman, you can find this in Hoquiam. There are a lot of older mill type houses with Craftsman details for less than $100,000. They are old houses, will require work, but you can find deals that are not exactly "fixers".

Being "on a river" or "near a cutesy downtown" would be a stretch, but Hoquiam has a nice farmers market and tons of rivers. You might find what you are looking for.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:55 PM

57 posts, read 238,833 times
Default Craftsman and Cute Downtowns

I think maybe in the 80's you could have found something like that. I know from reading real estate ads in the 70's in Bremerton that almost anything could be had for under $500 per month rental and well under 100K. Don't know of any location now that could do that. If you find anything, it will be in an out of the way location or bad neighborhood and will definitely need work. In college in the late 80's in eastern Washington it was still possible to buy old country homes of varying flavors and repair for under $30k in the Palouse area. Checked last summer and I think that $100k and up is in the lower end of things, even there, at least 1-1/2 from Spokane.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:36 PM

534 posts, read 3,115,744 times
I'd agree with most of these posts. Rural areas where jobs are far and few between, you'll find em for under 100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington