Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:08 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,138,039 times

Advertisements

With the weather getting colder and wetter, it's increasingly difficult to get the kids out of the house and to keep them active. To prevent cabin fever and for a way to spend quality family time, pick a destination from my guide of fun destinations.

Take a Trip to Westfield Shopping Center

"Kids, we're going to the mall!" (No, you're not being schlepped around the house-ware isles at JC Penney) The Olympia mall offers several cool destinations for families of all ages:

Play an exciting game of "glow in the dark" miniature golf at Glowgolf, located in the old Mervins store. GlowGolf • Glow-in-the-Dark Miniature Golf

Create your own unique Teddy Bear at the Enchanted Bear Mill. The Bear Mill is also a great place for private birthday parties. The Bear Mill - Home

Catch a family movie at Olympia's newest multiplex theater. Movie Theater Showtimes Near 98501

Check out Downtown Olympia

Visit the Olympia's Hands On Childrens Museum for interactive exhibits and fun activities. Welcome to the Hands On Children's Museum!

Stop in at The Painted Plate studio, where the whole family can paint their own plates, platters and cups. It's a great place for hand-made Christmas presents.

Get tickets for the Washington Center of the Performing Arts. They present shows that the whole family will enjoy. Don't miss the annual performances of The Nutcracker, put on by the young and talented dancers of the NW Ballet.

Head to the YMCA

The Briggs YMCA is not your grandfather's YMCA. They offer a teen activity room, two swimming pools, a climbing wall and a fun romping room that can be booked for birthday parties.

The downtown Olympia YMCA has a pool and two raquetball courts where the kids can let all their energy out on the balls.

Sports can be Fun

Check out the indoor batting cages at the Tumwater Airport Golf Center, or chip some golf balls down the driving range. Welcome to Airport Golf Center and Batting!

Lacey also has a batting range at Hawks Prairie

Bowl a game or two at Tumwater Lanes Tumwater Lanes | Olympia Washington Bowling Center or at Aztec Lanes in Olympia.

Take the kids rollerskating at Olympia's Skateland. Skateland Olympia - Your Family Fun Center

Cabelas - Not just a Store, but a Destination

The largest retailer in the area, Cabelas has recently opened its doors in Lacey. Kids will be amazed at the store's nature exhibits and hands-on displays.

To wrap up a day in town you can take the kids to Cold Stone Creamery, or Baskin Robbins for a special treat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 PM

16 posts, read 102,555 times
Default timely!

Hi Sandy--I've seen your name before when I posted about housing questions prior to our move. We (my family) just PCS'ed to Fort Lewis on Wednesday of last week from Fort Meade in Maryland. We're staying at the Inn on post with our almost-4 year old and our almost-2 year old, we all have nasty colds, and we're hoping to wrap up a rental application tomorrow for a house in Olympia in the Centennial Elementary School district. Your post was a real gift--I had just been beginning to wonder what on earth people here DO during all these rainy days! Thanks for your suggestions--we're looking forward to getting to know the area once the rain eases up a bit...

Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
My daughter loves to go on walks with me on rainy days. We just put on our rain gear and head out into the woods.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliette View Post
Hi Sandy--I've seen your name before when I posted about housing questions prior to our move. We (my family) just PCS'ed to Fort Lewis on Wednesday of last week from Fort Meade in Maryland. We're staying at the Inn on post with our almost-4 year old and our almost-2 year old, we all have nasty colds, and we're hoping to wrap up a rental application tomorrow for a house in Olympia in the Centennial Elementary School district. Your post was a real gift--I had just been beginning to wonder what on earth people here DO during all these rainy days! Thanks for your suggestions--we're looking forward to getting to know the area once the rain eases up a bit...
Eliette,
Welcome to Olympia. You picked a great area to live in. Centennial Elementary is a superb elementary school. I'm glad my guide gave you some ideas on what to do with the kids. Feel free to contact me personally if you need help getting situated in Olympia (just click on my profile).
I hope you'll get over your colds soon.

Sandy

Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
My daughter loves to go on walks with me on rainy days. We just put on our rain gear and head out into the woods.
Sean,
You must be a native. True Washingtonians own rain gear and don't let the rain get in the way of their fun.

Sandy

Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM

2 posts, read 23,745 times
Default Shanks Glow Golf Olympia Washington

Shanks Glow Golf is for sure the place to go..it is actually spelled "Shankz Black light Mini Golf" or maybe "Shankz Glow Golf"..But is is located in olympia, wa. The best mini golf i have ever played..surprisinly enough both my kids loved it...useually they fight about everything, they were too consumed in the video games, golf, guitar hero, rock and roll stuff, and party areas.

-Bruce

Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 23,745 times
Default Shankz Golf

oh...and its not the one in mall, that one is really crappy....this is by IHOP in West Olympia, in the Wal-greens shopping center on Black lake blvd and cooper pt rd. Olympia, wa.

--Again

Bruce

Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,432 times
Those are some great suggestions Sandy... I can't wait to head over to the Painted Place!

Here are a couple other suggestions I came up with:

Jumpin Jacks- lots of blow up/bouncy toys for the kids to jump on
Chucky Cheese (located in the mall next to JC Penny)
Black Hills Gymnastics-Open Gym They havwe open gym on the weekends and around 11am about once a week. http://www.blackhillsgymnastics.com/level2/pages/rec/rec.html
Timberline Public Library-Preschool Story Time http://www.trlib.org/kids.htm
Lattins Country Cider Mill and Farm Welcome to the Official Lattin's Country Cider Mill's Website

Old 08-17-2008, 01:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Sandy,
Is the Westfield mall in Oly the same as the Capitol Mall, just renamed, or is it a new one?
When I lived there ( 100 years ago) the big place to shop was the South Sound Mall in Lacey.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks everyone for adding to the list.
I have found two more fun indoor activity venues:

Apex Karting, a 50,000-square-foot indoor go-kart track that opened near Olympia Regional Airport in May 2008.
The facility has a nearly quarter-mile race track, a snack bar, video games, three meeting rooms for parties, a driver orientation room, a maintenance shop and 21 U.S.-made Stratos racing go-karts.

Charlie’s Safari is an indoor fun center that offers laser tag, arcades, and mini-golf, as well as inflatable toys, birthday party packages, a parents lounge, and complete food and drink menu. It's located near Lacey's movie theater at 5400 Martin Way E.

Ira, The Westfield Shopping Mall is the same as the Capitol Mall. The old South Sound Mall in Lacey is now a conglomerate of stores with a Target and Kohl's store as anchors.

Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington