Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,185 times

Advertisements

so I am excited because me and my significant other have decided to start our new life in Olympia. I have TONS of questions job wise, you see we are in our early twentys' and are looking to re-locate .we are from a small town in Nevada looking for a greener state. We are very optimistic about Washington. If you have even any information on relocating please email us as it will be a HUGE help. - I know what field is avalible for me there in Olympia, but now for the jobs for men. what is out there... i am tyring to narrow the playing field so we know what to look for. Please let us know, you all have been so helpful so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 04:36 AM

97 posts, read 427,683 times
Olympia is everything government. If you are a recent grad in anything just about it is located in either Olympia or its neighbors Lacey or Tumwater. You may want to tell me what degree this particular male has or doesn't have for that matter to get more perspective.

The town is small and vibrant. Good retail and basic commercial services. Evergreen College is there (Hippie School USA ). The area is undergoing a lot of development so construction jobs will be around. There is also a port there so there is opportunity there as well.

But if said male has a science, economics, public policy, communications, accounting, business type degrees there are a lot of government jobs to be had in the area.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,709,557 times
Is there many public accounting jobs in Olympia?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 PM

I would say not as nearly the amount as there are government accounting jobs.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 AM

This has been VERY VERY helpful. Port jobs what are those... i have never lived near a port... and also as for degrees... we would be trasferring we only have our core classes done. so once again downer, no degrees here but we are VERY VERY fluent with office administrative work. but he is good with crafts.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM

Port jobs entail engineering, planning, environmentally based jobs that all have office administrative work. I think Olympia would be a good fit for you if you decide to finish your degrees at Evergreen College. There are ALOT of office administrative work for the Government in either full time, internship, or part time form. You could work for a Senator, Representative, or the Governor's Office.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 AM

403 posts, read 1,564,338 times
Don't forget to look a little further south in the Centralia or Chehalis areas. The houses are more affordable and there are office jobs. We also have Centralia Community College, which is a very good and growing college for you to continue your education.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,110,293 times
I'm sure that by now you've Googled to find the newspaper for Olympia, but if you've misplaced the link here it is:
Thurston County's Homepage - The Olympian - Olympia, Washington

mod cut: link deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-02-2007 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: see DM

Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 PM

38 posts, read 134,608 times
well, I hope I can help. I moved to Lacey (a suburb of Olympia) 11 days ago. I wait tables, so thought I would have a job within a week. So far, not even one phone call, and I've put in at least 50 applications, and probably 75 resumes.
I'm sure it didn't help that there was a flood the day after I moved here. 6000 homes were destroyed, they tell me, and a lot of people lost everything. It's kind of scary, because I have no idea what this place is usually like.
It is pretty easy to find your way around, but as far as I can see, there are no jobs to speak of. I learned my lesson. Worry about a job first, then a place to live. Hope you have better luck than I have had.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:24 PM

Brookmole you are right i have applied to about 20 ish jobs and resumes. but i am an OVERPLANNER to an extrem and we wont move till everything is in stone. and as for Cnetralia... i will take a look at that for homes but i think ill be happy with looking for jobs in Olympia. I have found a bunch that were just posted about 2 days ago and i usually jump on them right away. Hummm I am hoping the flood doesnt effect to much. though i have seen rental prices drop by about 200 when i thought that with the flood it would increase. who knows i am a positive positive person i think we will be ok, my other half has started searching for jobs today. so we will see what he comes up with. Looking foward to moving there soon. Brookmole Good Luck and if you need help with looking for jobs let me know... for some reason its my nitch. especially online searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington