Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,466,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
Depending on what kind of work you do, you should be able to find work in Olympia. Tacoma would be an annoying commute, IMO. There are some pretty decent restaurants in Centralia. The name is eluding me right now, but there is a great Mexican restaurant on the main drag in town. Sounds like you will be able to find a nice little niche somewhere in Lewis county. Excited to hear where you end up.
Can't remember the name but I had the best breakfast at this place there. It was attached to some sort of store that sold crafts or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:44 PM

122 posts, read 194,050 times
Given what I have heard about Olympia vs Tacoma (read here and there) I think I'd feel more comfortable in Olympia.

DH has many years experience as a bus driver for city bus, water treatment plant supervisor and teaching. He *really really REALLY* would love to find a way to help kids - whether it is coaching or helping seniors out with home health care. He loves people and just really believes in giving back. He's a bit of a sports freak...and I mean freak.

25 miles to commute, is that a good deal given that neither one of us is looking for full time work? I work at home and will look into teaching metal smithing or silversmithing. I am a vendor for art and jewelry at Farmers Markets and Arts/Crafts shows. I heard Olympia is where we want to live for that?

But I also heard Olympia is a liberal town ... and not rural?

Does anyone have recommendations on property management in that area? (Olympia/Chehalis/Centralia) Or is that too wide of a swath?

I don't ask for much, just everything ya got

Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,019,214 times
Olympia
[x] liberal

But gets rural not too far south of Tumwater.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,286,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Can't remember the name but I had the best breakfast at this place there. It was attached to some sort of store that sold crafts or something.
Berry Fields

Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 AM

Maybe I should start a thread that says "Tell me about Olympia/Tumwater/Lacey"

Berry fields was yummy btw. I can easily see it becoming one of my favorite places to eat in the area.

Except the floors were loud. That was different! But it was wonderfully down home - not as down home as Georgia but the ambiance was more laid back and calm than some breakfast places in Ca.

Plus it was cool to look at headboards and antique furniture on my way to the bathroom

Old 12-04-2013, 01:52 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,148,124 times
Linda,

You may want to consider living in the southern Tumwater area. This way you are closer to your in-laws and live more rurally and can still benefit from all the Olympia-Tumwater-Lacey area has to offer.
As far as job opportunities for your husband based on his previous work experience, I would check out Inter City Transit:Current Job Openings or LOTT (Clean Water Alliance): Apply for a Job
Here is a link to the Olympia Farmer's Market: The Farmers Market of Olympia

Tumwater has an extended stay hotel (Extended Saty America) and Olympia has short term furnished home rentals (www.olympiafurnishedhomes.com)

Here are some links to local rental management companies:
Homes, Apartments and Duplexes for Rent
Home - Hometown Property Management
Olympia Property Management Rental & Landlord Service Olympia WA
The Rants Group |

and there is always craigslist > sites

Our NW multiple listing service also has rental home listings.

I hope this helps.

Sandy

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Berry Fields
I think that was it. Right next to a park.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBoBinda View Post
Maybe I should start a thread that says "Tell me about Olympia/Tumwater/Lacey"

Berry fields was yummy btw. I can easily see it becoming one of my favorite places to eat in the area.

Except the floors were loud. That was different! But it was wonderfully down home - not as down home as Georgia but the ambiance was more laid back and calm than some breakfast places in Ca.

Plus it was cool to look at headboards and antique furniture on my way to the bathroom
Country in western WA is quite different than country in CA. In CA, it's like the wild wild west where as in WA it's just more down home like you said.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Sandy, I'm blown away by your info. That's exactly the specifics I'm looking for!! Thank you thank you thank you!!

Just think- this thread is going to help another person lol I'll let my husband know about the links, thanks again!!

We live in a rural area in Colton, CA. A windy Canyon road filled with wild burros, red tail hawks, coyotes, an occasional rumored buffalo or deer (not 100% sure I believe those two "sightings") raccoons, skunks, mountain lions and plenty of mini-farmers and folks with little ranches that aren't hollywood ranches. Just simple people who prefer horses and dirtbikes over mercedes and partying.

Yet, we're 2 miles away from some of the worst ghetto Walmart in the area and I'm not talking ghetto because of race, I'm talking ghetto because people don't give a blank and I don't drive through there without my doors locked and I darn sure don't stop and get gas or a soda at the gas station.

Down home and simple...and safe. See? I'm easy lol

Thanks again for the info Sandy, I'm printing it out Might even have to contact you when we get up there if that's okay too.

And I don't remember a field next to Berry Fields, then again I was wearing a hoodie and it was raining so I didn't look. I DO remember it being on a corner and the food was generous sized portions and delicious. The servers were sweet and it was fairly priced.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM

611 posts, read 1,208,233 times
There was a restaurant in Centralia called something like "The Good Eats" that was attached to an antique shop. Been years since I ate there but it was very good.
Olympia isn't very rural anymore. To get to more rural areas either head further out of west Oly to the Steamboat Island or Summit Lake area. You will still find a bit of what you are looking for there. South Olympia around Rich Road still has larger lots as well. Toward Tumwater you can hit areas around Case Rd and 93rd and still feel like you are out in the country but keep in mind the area has been growing and probably will continue to grow. These areas were considered the "sticks" when I was a kid but not anymore. The stretch between Shelton and Olympia is quite lovely but personally I would stay out of the Shelton city limits. You might check out areas around Littlerock and Rochester as well. Steer clear of Littlerock Road proper in Tumwater...they've been developing the area like mad.
Tumwater used to have a very active wrestling team for kids starting around 2nd grade, I believe. My son participated one year. There were two clubs, one for Grecco Roman and the other was freestyle. Here is a link for the freestyle, don't know if the other is still active.
https://tumwaterfreestylewrestlingclub.shutterfly.com/
Thurston County Youth Football League is very active for American Football. Serves kids grade 2 through 8. I know there are basketball and soccer leagues as well but my son never had interest. For baseball, there is Black Hills, Cal Ripkin and many others. Of course the YMCA is active as well.
The Olympia Farmer's Market is great. It runs pretty much all year but gets scaled down in the winter. It's right downtown on the water. Tumwater also has a small farmer's market. I think it runs one day/week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington