Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM

439 posts, read 423,452 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any ideas, perspective, thoughts, or insight

I am accepting a job at a local community college near south Tacoma, by the military bases. I enjoy being in a more rural setting and don't mind up to a 30-45 minute commute (my car gets 40 mpg). I am looking for a small studio or 1 bedroom for $600-$700 monthly (it's just me and 2 cats, 500-700 square feet is fine). Water, garbage included I would hope.

What are some nice(r) areas? Expenses? Not fancy! I have looked at maps of Roy, Yelm, Lacey, Steilacoom, and Dupont so far. Dupont and Steilacoom seem a little pricey for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:59 PM

611 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Roy and Yelm will be more rural although I think Yelm is going through some growing pains. For years there really only has been one main drag through town and it gets jammed up during peak traffic times. They did create a bypass awhile back but I still find the drive through downtown frustrating. The other downside to Roy and Yelm is there is no quick way to the interstate. I imagine there are a few backroads to get you to Tacoma more quickly but you would need to actually drive them to see if they are truly feasible. Also, my guess is that finding a studio there would be more difficult than in the more urban areas but for $700/month, I would think you could find a nice place.

Steilacoom and Dupont are cute areas, but yes, you will find them more pricey. They have much better access to the interstate and less of an agricultural feel to them than Roy and Yelm.

Lacey is one of those towns that sprung up after WWII when everyone had a car. There is no defined downtown area and has a sprawling feel to it. There are some very nice pockets in Lacey as well as some spots I would avoid. Pacific Ave, Sleater Kinney, College St. and Martin Way are all very congested as well as many of the other main roads. Since Lacey is basically a suburb of Olympia, you might as well check out Oly if you are looking as far south as Lacey. In both of these areas $700 should still fetch you a decent studio or 1 bedroom. I generally recommend that people look at duplexes rather than the big apartment complexes. For some reason the rates seem to be more reasonable. I found my son a nice older 1 BR duplex close to Olympia High School about a year ago for $575, so your budget should work out.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:30 PM

439 posts, read 423,452 times
Wow, thank you!!! Much appreciated info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington