Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM

256 posts, read 542,191 times

Advertisements

I just do not get it. It is a 20 Minute drive to Tacoma and plus it has affordable housing, shopping, the Puyallup Fair and decent public schools.

Any reason why it gets ignored or is it just me.

Also I know the traffic is terrible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,099,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
I just do not get it. It is a 20 Minute drive to Tacoma and plus it has affordable housing, shopping, the Puyallup Fair and decent public schools.

I guess it's just another overbuilt exurb. Unless you're from there or work there, why would someone want to move there? It's remote and has a reputation for high crime. There are nicer communities nearby.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM

905 posts, read 1,106,074 times
To me, most of it is bland suburbia in nature, and although it's close to Tacoma, Tacoma is also affordable to live in, but has a lot more to offer IMO. And if you must commute to Seattle from Puyallup, all I gotta say is, have fun! During rush hour, you can add bad traffic on Meridian to the already bad traffic on the freeways.

Unless you work there, or somewhere very close by, I can't think of a good reason to move there. Plenty of nicer areas not too far away.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM

256 posts, read 542,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I guess it's just another overbuilt exurb. Unless you're from there or work there, why would someone want to move there? It's remote and has a reputation for high crime. There are nicer communities nearby.
I do not live there however I did graduate from that area and crime in parts South Hill and Spanaway is present but it has stuff to do and I disagree with you.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,896,148 times
Quote:
I do not live there however I did graduate from that area and crime in parts South Hill and Spanaway is present but it has stuff to do and I disagree with you.
You asked why Puyallup gets ignored. MKarch, IMHO, is correct. There isn't really anything about Puyallup that stands out. This isn't to say that no one would get good experience living there-- but when there are other (nicer) communities that does stand out, Puyallup is bound to fade into the background.

Quote:
I personally do not consider having the Fair in town a bonus. Heck, they recently decided to change the name from the Puyallup Fair to Washington State Fair. Puyallup Fair changing name to become Washington State Fair in 2013 - Auburn Reporter

But with everything else, how does Puyallup hold one over say... University Place, Gig Harbor, Steilacoom, Olympia/Lacey, or even Federal Way et. c?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM

85 posts, read 180,027 times
Quote:

To me, the Puyallup 'area' is just an extended suburb of Tacoma, or one of the most likely places to have catastrophically-high casualty figures in the event of a lahar. It's an okay town with a pleasant enough downtown, but I don't feel like it does enough to distinguish itself from Sumner, Auburn or Kent. They all kind of have the same feel to them.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,692 posts, read 81,510,683 times
I agree. It's bland, and has more crime especially around fair time than other similar small cities. I know people that are happy there but not as happy as they were 5-10 years ago.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,309,431 times
Better ignored than insulted.

I have relatives there and they like it.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,280,123 times
Much like others have said - IMHO, Puyallup has the fair, otherwise it's just another faceless Tacoma 'burb.

As someone from the other side of the mountains, there are plenty of towns worth driving over the pass to visit, but (other than the fair for the 4H kids, etc) Puyallup isn't one of them.

I'm sure it's completely different for people who live there, though.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,841,596 times
I can't think of any reason anyone would want to talk about Puyallup. It's "meh"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington