Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:43 AM

60 posts, read 289,091 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned Gig Harbor as an option for me and my husband to look into. Being that our lifestyle is focused around an active lifestyle (trail running, hiking, swimming, kayaking, mountainbiking, cycling, cross country skiing, downhill etc) is this a place for us? I realize we have to drive to some things, such as skiing, but it would be nice to have trails available without having to get in the car first.

Also, my husband works in medicine (orthopedics) and does not want a long commute - are there hospitals nearby? I think he'd prefer no more than 30 min in the car each way, but less is always better.

All input appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,252,326 times
There really aren't any "trails" in Gig Harbor. You can hike down to sunset beach and it is a trail of sorts, but you're never away from the residential area. There is a backtrail, looks more like a closed off gravel road that people walk but again, you are basically skirting residential areas. I'm an avid hiker and for any real hiking, you have to drive to it. Kayaking and cycling are doable. Gig Harbor and the Puget Sound area don't get enough sustainable snow for cross country skiing---there are no cross country ski trails. For that, you would have to drive closer to Leavenworth where they have a trail system or to one of the snow parks. You'll also be driving to downhill skiing. It's just a given that you drive 1-2 hours to get to recreation.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 PM

19 posts, read 90,116 times
Gig Harbor is across the Narrows bridge from Tacoma, & there are some hospitals there...I'm not sure about the commute time, but I've heard it's not usually too bad, depending on the time of day you go. I believe they're also building a new hospital in North Gig Harbor.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,894,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson4154 View Post
Also, my husband works in medicine (orthopedics) and does not want a long commute - are there hospitals nearby? I think he'd prefer no more than 30 min in the car each way, but less is always better. All input appreciated!
Harrison Medical Center is located in Bremerton and Silverdale. I think the Bremerton hospital has an orthopedic surgical department and it would be less than 30 minutes from Gig Harbor. Try a Google search for more info.

Lynn

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM

158 posts, read 405,660 times
Default you have an email

I too am Gig Harbor bound. You will love it! Just don't tell too many other people about it.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 PM

Thank you all for great input - Pugetsoundman, I do think we have a few things in common. We'll be checking out Gig Harbor in November. I'll have my husband send you an email as I'm sure he has questions about hospitals and sea kayaking

Last edited by crimson4154; 10-17-2007 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-18-2007, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 36,322 times
Gig Harbor is just across the Narrows bridge from Tacoma which is a fairly large city, with a quite a few hospitals. St. Josephs , and Auburn regional stand out in my mind and I believe there are atleast 5 others.. Tacoma is about 10-15 minutes from anywhere in Gig Harbor, traffic depending of course. Harrison hospital has two branches north of you, the main in Bremerton, 20- 30 minutes, and an smaller one in Silverdale which is basically just a large ER, its about 30- 40 minutes.

As for hiking trails.. I dont know of any actual trails in Gig harbor, I know some people like to walk or ride the road to Narrows park, it has a wonderful view of the Narrows bridge. Most of your hiking is gonna be found further north, towards Silverdale, Poulsbo area, or south east there are quite a few great ones near Mt. Rainer, just be careful in the winter.

Hope that helps a bit -J

Old 10-18-2007, 12:34 PM

It sure does. I'm so amazed with all the great input I keep getting. Relocating before the age of internet must have been a bear! Thanks!!

Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM

68 posts, read 338,715 times
Just so you know, St Anthony's hospital is currently being built in Gig Harbor. If he is willing to put up with it temporarily, he could begin working with the parent company Franciscan Health System at St Joseph Hospital in downtown Tacoma and then transfer to St Anthony's in Gig Harbor as positions become available.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks! That might be a great option for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington