Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 AM

45 posts, read 48,838 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to relocate to Washington State, specifically the Bremerton area for work. I've had my eye on Poulsbo, Port Orchard, and Silverdale as places to live... in that order. I've frequented the Spanaway and University Place areas in the past, but they are a little too far for my commute.

Any insight on the first 3 areas I mentioned? I know its a broad question, but I'd like to get a bunch of info to help me sort my decision out. I'll check back periodically being that I know I'll need to provide answers/feedback as this thread goes on.

Also, I know people tell me to rent a place first to see how I like it there before buying, however, my family and I will be bringing a large dog and I cant find too many places to rent that have a big open yard for him to romp around in. A lot of the newer homes that Im looking at are well within my budget for these areas and are very attractive, but again it's all thru the internet and not me physically being in the area. I will be making a trip sometime before the move to check these areas out.

Thanks for taking the time to read this !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
All three are good places to live. Silverdale has the big mall and every shop and restaurant you can need, some fantastic properties on Hood Canal and others not so great in parts. Port Orchard is generally the same, mostly good but more crime, not as much business. Of the three I would move to Poulsbo (and have considered it). Very nice old downtown, the best market (Central) in the state, and a wide variety of nice homes from mobiles to mansions on acreage, newer small home developments and everything in between. Very family-oriented with town events all year. Also within 20 minutes of the shopping in Silverdale, but does have Home Depot and Walmart, both fairly new. Within 20 minutes
of the Bainbridge Island ferry, making it the closest of the 3 to get to Seattle.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,363,905 times
I just happen to find Poulsbo to be totally charming, with awesome views and cool old buildings. The downtown area is vibrant and walkable. Port Orchard has nice views, but lacks the energy and vitality that Poulsob has. Gig Harbor's pretty cool but a bit more expensive. I don't know Silverdale real well, but it does have a huge shopping mall and bunch of strip malls nearby it. Not my cup of tea, but convenient if you like to shop. Not far from Port Orchard is Manchester/Southworth, which is a plus because its near the ferry that goes to Seattle( West Seattle)..

Old 11-17-2012, 06:27 PM

thanks for the input !! Im really excited and cant wait to make the move...

Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,550 times
Aloha just moved here and it is pretty neat in poulsbo I live further out in Indianola. the pennisula does not seem to have any commuting issues like oahu,rents vary but it is not as tight as hi good luck

Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM

thanks firetoe. im sure anything is cheaper than here..lol

Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 AM

806 posts, read 2,343,154 times
The outskirts of the Silverdale area are really nice, kinda like Mililani but bigger!!

Is this a military move??

There's a GREAT place called "Aloha Kitchen" in Silverdale that has ONO Hawaiian foods and music!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM

KAILANI, not really military, DoD tho... and yeah, I have family that mentioned that kitchen..hehe... we are still waiting to see if I can even get a position. funny you mentioned it, if I dont get to move up there, I actually am looking at mililani..

Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,550 times
not in the military any more got out of the marine corp 20years ago married a canadian girl from victoria ca so this is the compromise but so good so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington