Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:43 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Strange a person wants to move to Wenatchee because they think its liberal.

I think I may move to San Francisco because I think it's conservative..

AH, nothing more liberal than small-town Eastern Washington.. I should know I lived there for 1-1.5 long years.
I agree, it's one of the most conservative areas in the country. The entire east side of the state is very red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_moon View Post
Clarification is needed. Are PNW residents really that active in the outdoors? I have visited numerous websites to learn about your state. One of the perks is always the mountains and ocean. My question is -When do people find time to be so active outdoors if it rains so much west of the Cascades? The best I can come up with is 2-3 months of good weather.
In all honesty living on the east side of the cascades you can expect more like four or five months of nice warm weather. The rest of the year is rain, snow, sleet, wind, clouds, dry and cold.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Wow.

I am a professional in Colville and have an idea of who, and dealings with, some of the people that I think you are talking about - and would agree with exactly NONE of your post.

Your profile doesn't say where you're from, but your post reminds me of "cow-tipping" - something that people who are on the outside-looking-in THINK happens, but never actually does.
Wrong, Wenatchee is full of good ol' boy politics. For example the Toyota Town Center, need I mention more. It is a hick town.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Well, something keeps drawing rich Seattle retirees to Leavenworth. I can think of quite a few of them that now call Leavenworth home (and quite a few more that have a second home there), including one of Seattle's top media moguls.
Leavenworth is a town made for and bought by Seattle retirees. That is why they keep moving there. There are significantly less minorities living in that area. Economical segregation. Since the tourism industry is thriving there many young people looking to work in the area and enjoy the outdoors move there as well. They serve the rich tourists and transplants. The young folks make up a small percentage of actual households and usually don't stick around for very long due to the low wages and high cost of living. Not exactly a thriving social or cultural environment. Honestly everything cultural in Washington seems to have been ripped off some other culture and claimed for the tourist industry.

Last edited by bad apples; 04-27-2014 at 12:14 AM..

Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakieHorse View Post
I've lived in small towns my whole life (from pop 200 to 13,000 tops) and I absolutely understand what Dean-O was trying to say and I also know folks just like PS90 who will defend their right to live in a I don't know another word so I'll say "corrupt" small town to their death. And so folks considering moving to anywhere in NEWA Northeast Washington need to be made aware.

Yes, the folks who live in these towns want them to stay small. They have little to no tourism expectations.
And that leads to poor economies. And no influx of new blood. That family tree resembling a fencepost can in some cases create the crazies Dean-O mentioned, but not every small town = Deliverance. I've lived in quality small towns with a useful industrious and across-all-socio levels emotionally supportive population with wise leaders and government celebrating the richness that is small town life in America, but none were in NEWA. In NEWA there is a lack of creativity and certainly few in touch with economic or social reality I'm not exactly sure why. Not much sense of personal responsibility and very little conscience and it's not just the day and age we live in. I have family in those other small towns where I've lived decades ago and their existence is none different today than when I lived there.

Since people like PS90 always view it as big city guys against us small towners, I wanted to be sure you heard me as a life-long small towner. I just don't think PS90 has ever known better and so accepts the status quo because here it does always seem to be that way. Nobody expects any better so they put up with it. Those with backbones to speak up soon wise up and move away leaving the accepting ones behind to wallow as usual. The populations in these small towns--Kettle Falls, Colville, Wenatchee, allow many and various personal and political illegal abuses--any connected big fish here can purty much steam-roll over anyone they so choose (about the only thing locals are creative about is their ability to lie to get their way) and get the local governments and courts to help them do it, laws be damned. (Reminds me of stories of the old west and big cattlemen killing off homesteaders for water rights. And some descendants here are from those big cattleman, so maybe that's the history that founded these towns: go so far as to kill to get what you want. And yes, it can be that awful living here. Shocking what people do to each other without a care in the world and call it small town.) According to PS90 and others I've met that is an acceptable way of life. To anyone who knows different (and I do not shoehorn that into just city folks), they realize it shouldn't be that way and they call it for what it is: corruption.

I have to live here only (Colville) until I retire next year, then I am out of here. I'd advise any normal person who wants to lead a happy life with a true sense of personal security to avoid NEWA small towns.
Yes, I couldn't have said it better.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Wrong, Wenatchee is full of good ol' boy politics. For example the Toyota Town Center, need I mention more. It is a hick town.
What are you insinuating something is ""bad about hick towns? What rural towns ANYWHERE in the USA is not a "hick" town? Come on... get real...

Guess many people like it that way. (Those born and raised rural and many fine city folks who choose to relocate to small town USA, because they like the way things are in small towns and fit in becasue they share the same code of ethics..

Learn some respect for your elders, for families that have spent generations building the community... Listen and think before flapping your city slicker jaw... Put some sweat and muscle into improving the town best you can for a generation or two... Then you to can earn respect... Less of course some whinny city slicker comes to your town thinking they know every thing, and all the locals are stupid idiots...

WELCOME TO RURAL AMERICA........................! Complain all you want.. It just reaffirms why us "hicks" really don't care for bossy anxious city slickers who try to demand respect instead of earn it...

Emphasis here, I am not insinuating all city people are bossy and anxious... Many are not and they are welcomed to communities and fit in well... And then their are those.... that DON"T

Old 04-27-2014, 05:58 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
I have no idea what this comment is supposed to mean. Anyone who is associated with Wenatchee knows that the Town Toyota Center was a colossal flop. But how does a poor decision by the city's elected officials make Wenatchee a "hick town"?

I don't see the connection. I guess I could understand describing Wenatchee as a "hick town" if most of the residents were related. Or if some of those related residents were inter-married. Or if a moonshine-making ring was raided by the FBI. Or if a NASCAR track was put in town.

But how does building an arena for hockey and music-concerts make Wenatchee a "hick town"? How does poor planning and a recession-based decrease in that arena's profitability make Wenatchee a "hick town"?

Could you please explain? Are you making a poorly-worded attempt to say that all bad decisions are somehow made by small-town folks? If that's the case, it's quite the bold/ignorant statement on your part...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what this comment is supposed to mean. Anyone who is associated with Wenatchee knows that the Town Toyota Center was a colossal flop. But how does a poor decision by the city's elected officials make Wenatchee a "hick town"?

I don't see the connection. I guess I could understand describing Wenatchee as a "hick town" if most of the residents were related. Or if some of those related residents were inter-married. Or if a moonshine-making ring was raided by the FBI. Or if a NASCAR track was put in town.

But how does building an arena for hockey and music-concerts make Wenatchee a "hick town"? How does poor planning and a recession-based decrease in that arena's profitability make Wenatchee a "hick town"?

Could you please explain? Are you making a poorly-worded attempt to say that all bad decisions are somehow made by small-town folks? If that's the case, it's quite the bold/ignorant statement on your part...
I was referring to an argument you had with another poster about small town Washington somehow being above good ol' boy politics or just the same as small towns everywhere. I quoted your reply to his statement and I think that you couldn't be further from the truth. Wenatchee does have a racetrack by the way. Not there is anything wrong with that. Small town Washington just seems about thirty years behind the rest of the country. Just stating my observations from an outsiders perspective.

Last edited by bad apples; 04-27-2014 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakieHorse View Post
I've lived in small towns my whole life (from pop 200 to 13,000 tops) and I absolutely understand what Dean-O was trying to say and I also know folks just like PS90 who will defend their right to live in a I don't know another word so I'll say "corrupt" small town to their death. And so folks considering moving to anywhere in NEWA Northeast Washington need to be made aware.

Yes, the folks who live in these towns want them to stay small. They have little to no tourism expectations.
And that leads to poor economies. And no influx of new blood. That family tree resembling a fencepost can in some cases create the crazies Dean-O mentioned, but not every small town = Deliverance. I've lived in quality small towns with a useful industrious and across-all-socio levels emotionally supportive population with wise leaders and government celebrating the richness that is small town life in America, but none were in NEWA. In NEWA there is a lack of creativity and certainly few in touch with economic or social reality I'm not exactly sure why. Not much sense of personal responsibility and very little conscience and it's not just the day and age we live in. I have family in those other small towns where I've lived decades ago and their existence is none different today than when I lived there.

Since people like PS90 always view it as big city guys against us small towners, I wanted to be sure you heard me as a life-long small towner. I just don't think PS90 has ever known better and so accepts the status quo because here it does always seem to be that way. Nobody expects any better so they put up with it. Those with backbones to speak up soon wise up and move away leaving the accepting ones behind to wallow as usual. The populations in these small towns--Kettle Falls, Colville, Wenatchee, allow many and various personal and political illegal abuses--any connected big fish here can purty much steam-roll over anyone they so choose (about the only thing locals are creative about is their ability to lie to get their way) and get the local governments and courts to help them do it, laws be damned. (Reminds me of stories of the old west and big cattlemen killing off homesteaders for water rights. And some descendants here are from those big cattleman, so maybe that's the history that founded these towns: go so far as to kill to get what you want. And yes, it can be that awful living here. Shocking what people do to each other without a care in the world and call it small town.) According to PS90 and others I've met that is an acceptable way of life. To anyone who knows different (and I do not shoehorn that into just city folks), they realize it shouldn't be that way and they call it for what it is: corruption.

I have to live here only (Colville) until I retire next year, then I am out of here. I'd advise any normal person who wants to lead a happy life with a true sense of personal security to avoid NEWA small towns.
Here is the original post I should have quoted. PS90 in previous posts on city-data you yourself have described towns in Washington as being "hick-towns" so please don't get all butt hurt when I use the phrase in the same way.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:00 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Here is the original post I should have quoted. PS90 in previous posts on city-data you yourself have described towns in Washington as being "hick-towns" so please don't get all butt hurt when I use the phrase in the same way.
I still don't get it. If I have described a town as a "hick town" on this forum in the past, it is due to a town's conservative values and/or an ideology of many of that town's residents as being "hicks" or "rednecks" - which are descriptions that many people wear with honor.

But you are trying to say that a bad city-planning decision makes Wenatchee a "hick town". This makes no sense to me, and certainly isn't something I've posted in the past.

Bad planning decisions aren't just done by "hicks". Remember when California decided to de-regulate electricity, that lead to rolling blackouts in 2000 and 2001? Would you call one of the most liberal states in the country a "hick state" for that bad decision?

I can't understand how your comment is anything other than an insult to people who call themselves "hicks", which I consider myself to be to some extent, so there's no way I would make that statement. So, unless I'm misunderstanding, you certainly aren't using the phrase in the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington