Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 06:52 AM

18 posts, read 36,658 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are thinking of either relocating to PT or Anacortes. I really love PT especially the Uptown area and like that we would have some private schools to choose from for our daughter as well as the public school. I like the sense of community and walkability of the town. Rentals and property are a little expensive though, and I might be working somewhere that I would have to drive 2 hours on a 3 times a week basis. Also since I have asthma the paper mill and it's proximity is a concern.

So, I recently started reading about Anacortes. I have not visited as of yet, but it certainly appears beautiful (as most of this area is) and it is in the rain shadow (although gets more rain than PT). The ferry is a bonus as well.

Does any one have experience with the Anacortes school system and it's quality? How is the community? Involved? If you live in the old town does it have a similar "feel" to PT as in walkability and friendliness? Progressive is a plus, but it does not need to be a hippie utopia or anything.

Any and all responses are appreciated.

PS, I am quite aware of the "grayness" and lack of sun in the winter. I have lived all my life in the upper midwest and am welcoming winter temperatures that do not go into the negatives!!! If I need to I will go somewhere sunny for a few days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
I have not lived in either spot, but have visited them both. Actually my wife and I have been to PT several times and love it. If it were myself, I would choose PT. Of course as a day visitor, my opinion may not be the best one to listen too. We kept going back for the shopping and atmosphere of the town (PT). You mentioned the ferry. You do realize the ferry docks in PT right? That is how we got to PT. My in laws lived in LaConner and took several trips up to PT crossing at Fort Custer I believe is the name of the departure point. We loved the ferry as well. I am sure that both cities have their own appeal to different people. I think I would base more of by decision on affordability and jobs. The two are not that far a part relatively speaking. You could always live in Anacortes and visit PT! Peace.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM

18 posts, read 36,658 times
Thanks for your opinion. We spent a week in PT and love it. I realize it has a ferry, but I like that the Anacortes ferry goes to the SJI and Victoria. The drive time to work would go from 2 hours to 1 if we live in Anacortes (Lake Stevens). I would only be doing it 3 times a week but that's still a lot.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 AM

291 posts, read 948,060 times
Well it looks like Anacortes could be what you are looking for. You mentioned the rain shadow and I wanted to share a link that I found. My wife and I are planning on moving out to the PNW (someday ) and I have been collecting data. You may have seen this or data similar to it, but here is a link to more info on rain shadow... and then some!

Olympic Rain Shadow - Information and Resources

Peace,
WC@H

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,129 times
I have lived in PT seven years now, and am in the process of moving to Anacortes. In a nutshell, PT's a lovely place to visit, but I prefer not to live here. For someone below the age of 45, with children under 20, and an income under 60K/ann, PT is a miserable place to be. I could write a BOOK on the subject of what is right and wrong with Port Townsend. The town is run by volunteers, and the people who actually WORK here can't afford to live here. I'm an artist, so I thought being in the midst of an artist's colony would be fabulous. I was wrong. There's an exclusionary attitude about the people here that is NOT welcoming to newcomers at ALL. I've heard this from a LOT of other folks who haven't lived here the required 15 or more years to be considered a resident. I'm REALLY looking forward to Anacortes, where I've alREADY met more friendly folks than in ALL my years in PT. I also find the easy proximity to Canada and the San Juans (by ferry), and to the "mainland" corridor a real draw. One tends to get trapped out here on the end of the Quimper Peninsula - where the closest big box store of any kind is at LEAST 45 minutes away, and a trip to Seattle (for any major medical or social events, for example) is either 2 hours (including a ferry ride) or more via a bridge you must pay to cross. In otherwords, there are a number of hidden costs with living in PT. The up side? Because PT is a tourist destination, and because of the fabulous facilities in Fort Worden, a lot of marvelous cultural events occur here. But they do in Anacortes, Friday Harbor, Bellingham, etc...easily accessibly from Anacortes. BTW, have you taken a good look at Bellingham? I went to school up there, and it has CHANGED a lot for the better...it's a happening place now!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaxona View Post
There's an exclusionary attitude about the people here that is NOT welcoming to newcomers at ALL. I've heard this from a LOT of other folks who haven't lived here the required 15 or more years to be considered a resident.
Huh, that's the exact opposite from my experience here, and I've only been here a couple years. I find everyone here extremely friendly and welcoming. But then, I'm not an artist so maybe that has something to do with it because the crowd I've become friendly with may be more open to newcomers. I've made more friends here in 2 years than I did in 8 years in my previous town. I guess it's true that every place is different for every person. I hope Anacortes works better for you - it is a lovely place.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM

118 posts, read 261,367 times
I grew up on north whidbey which is just south of anacortes. If you move to this area be prepared for power outages in the winter they can sometimes be long in duration 7+ days. It is not as cold in the winter but it is damp year round so say good buy to having dry clothes.

The area is seeing a significant amount of growth and development so hope you like a lot of neighbors and there is a Naval Air Station on Whidbey which means a lot of jet noise. It is a nice area but employment tends to be low paying and if you're independently wealthy there are nicer places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington