Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,801 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Sudden Valley for 13 years. Lived in gates 2,3 and now gate 5. Don't listen to the nay sayers that complain about the Valley, they don't live here. Talk to someone that has been there and done that. As far as covenants go they really don't bother you that much. You have to have rules or a community can't function. Rules on the unnecessary cutting of trees, using only "see thru" type fences, etc add to the beauty of the valley and don't give you that "track like" housing project look.

I live in gate 5 and drive to Blaine everyday. People ask me isn't that a long drive? I tell them, I spend 40-45 minutes driving 30 miles (20 miles on the freeway) along some of the most beautiful views in the world. ( and I have lived all over the world.) You want to live next to a shopping center or Fred Myers then buy in Bellingham, no thanks. We have local events such as Jazz concerts, a local YMCA, Garden Club, a beautiful golf course, Bingo nights, a Marina (ask my dog what he thinks of the Marina, parks, children play areas, etc.
You want desolate landscaping buy in Bellingham you want a National Park like atmosphere buy in the Valley. In the summer we don't cook like the city, our temperatures run 10 degrees cooler than downtown. I haven't seen crime in the valley. As far as the financial situation the Valley is in good shape. In the winter the roads are plowed better than the county's. Talk about value for your dollar, a house you can in the valley is 30% less than in the city. There are houses that aren't kept up but they are the exception rather than the rule. There are children in every gate and playgrounds abound.
Come out some day and view a sunrise or sunset in the Marina and you'll know you have found a place you want to call home and wonder why you are living anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 PM

25 posts, read 91,761 times
Yep, I've now been here over a year and am about to close on a house in Gate 3. A bit worried that there are not many kids close by, as in my current rental, but a lovely house at a great price. I am definitely a big SV fan. I am a bit bummed that my son's karate teacher got kicked out of the barn by the YMCA when it took over, so I am having to take him into town a couple of evenings a week so he can continue (the commuting issue), but it's perfectly handleable of course.

That said, I do know a couple of families here that do not like it at all. It's worth renting for a while (over a winter!) to be sure.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:21 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,529,895 times
Are there kids groups or activities unaffiliated with the neighborhood church? I would love for my 3 and 9 yo boys to form strong neighborhood friendships if we buy there, but am unsure how kids meet. A major negative to the neighborhood is a lack of sidewalks and safe places to ride bicycles. Love the lake and grassy areas, though!

Do a lot of kids live in gate 2?

Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Sudden Valley Mom's Group

Hey WSG. The main connection point for moms and kids is this yahoo group. Despite my best intentions, I have not joined, but I know several other people that are in it and it seems to be great for exchanging information and getting to know people. They told me to join and say where I was considering buying and asking whether any members with kids of a similar age lived nearby.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...momsgroup/info

You are right about sidewalks and the lack of places to ride bikes. And yards to kick balls around, depending on your house. As I said previously, my current arrangement - living on a dead-end street with other kids around - is ideal (just not my rented house!). So you could look for something like that. But I would also say that most streets are fine for playing or walking as long as they are not the main thoroughfares (eg Sudden Valley Drive, Polo Park Drive in Gate 3). Cars tend to be a lot slower and more careful - and local - once they get off those main roads.

In terms of walking and biking to other kids' houses, depends on how old they are, how steep your immediate area is. My boy is 8 and even though our new house is just a few blocks away I can't let him walk back to see his friends here on his own as we are on the other side of Sudden Valley Drive. Hardly a 6-lane highway, but still enough traffic to make me uncomfortable. If we were on the right side of SVD and he could cut through yards and greenbelts I would probably let him do it, though I am super-relaxed compared to most moms here!

All of the gates have families with kids of all ages, but 1 and 2 tend to have more retirees and less young families. Gates 3 and 5 are best for that (I am in 3). But again, it really is a question of luck or heavily researching the immediate surroundings for your planned home purchase. Like anywhere, you could be surrounded by kids in Gate 2, or in a more solitary environment in Gate 3. My new home in Gate 3 is a bit of a gamble in that sense, and I am really hoping it works out as I know there are a few kids down the road albeit of different ages to my son.

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2017, 03:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,333 times
How are things going in SV in 2017? My wife and I are interested in moving there with 2 kids (5 & 11). Any updates? How's the community events?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM

Hi, Muley, did you post on one of the SV facebook pages? There was a similar post at the same time. Did you get the answers you needed?

Now is a complicated time to be moving to SV, but as with most things, it depends on your priorities...

Old 06-17-2017, 11:28 AM

37 posts, read 58,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin18 View Post
Hi, Muley, did you post on one of the SV facebook pages? There was a similar post at the same time. Did you get the answers you needed?

Now is a complicated time to be moving to SV, but as with most things, it depends on your priorities...

Hi Martin18!

I'd love to hear more about your experience there as of late. My family and I are seriously considering a move to that area. What do you think of the schools? What is the area like around Blaine? Anything you've learned that you wish someone would have told you before you moved? Is it easy to find rentals if we're not ready to jump in and buy?

Sorry for 20 questions, but I just saw you replied recently and would love some feedback from a local!

Old 06-17-2017, 02:53 PM

735 posts, read 872,680 times
Sudden Valley's HOA has some big issues coming up, they didn't properly maintain some buildings and so expect some big ticket construction projects, which the only way I can see that they will be able to afford is raising the fees.

It's a great little neighborhood generally speaking, but before buying really inspect the public buildings.

Finally, Bellingham is known for short winter days and in SV those days are even shorter when the sun sets behind the mountain range to the west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington