Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2007, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,009 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm an East Coast transplant. In doing my research before moving out here to the Eastside, Monroe scored high on my list of places to check out. One neighborhood in particular seemed interesting. When I finally got out there I really fell in love with the place- mountain and river views, and a nice size yard. It wasn't cheap, but compared to what other communities cost on the Eastside, it sure seemed like one hell of a value- and a great place to raise a kid. Reminds me of how rural my home in NJ back in the 70's was and the happy memories of being raised in that atmosphere.

The commute to Microsoft from there is rough by WA standards, about an hour. However compared to the 2.5 hour bus commute (on a good day) people do from where I'm from, it doesn't even register on the scale.

The house is being built now, and I have until about 2/08 to prepare and get all my ducks in a row. Any insight, recommendations, warnings, etc. that the local community here can provide would be welcome as the weeks and months pass and the house nears completion.

All things considered, I have no regrets about the move. The quality of the pizza is a disappointment, and I miss Dunkin Donuts. Otherwise, It's great to be here. (Should have moved out a few years ago before the house prices really shot up though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,684,826 times
I hear you about the pizza...it's mostly chains out here, but ocasionally you can find some gems if you really search. (Oh, and W. Wash. has dunkin' donuts!)

Monroe is one of those small towns that is slowly being encompassed by the Seattle sprawl. Only negative, WA state jail is there, but I doubt that is a real problem to ordinary citizens.

Positives, close to Seattle, but still somewhat affordable. The highways are being improved. And if you are into winter sports, Stevens Pass is only about an hour up Highway 2. Enjoy!

Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,197,684 times
Im coming out from Jersey also! But its taking a little longer then I thought! A few more month's and I will be there, I was hoping to come out in the summer and catch some of that PNW summer weather but owell! Glad you like it!!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,075,100 times
Piecora's in Kirkland and in Seattle is great.

For chains, the best is Jet City.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,009 times
Default thanks

Appreciate the feedback all- I did notice right away that the prison was in Monroe, though on the other side of town from where I'll be. As someone else pointed out on another thread- it may very well be a deterrent to crime!

My reasons for picking Monroe were mainly 'bang-for-your-buck', lot size, view, and growth. I heard about the pending improvements to Hwy. 2 and 522 which would make the area a lot more accessible and desirable. As Seattle sprawls out, people are going further and further out. Redmond and Bellevue are pretty much built out. Kirkland is untouchable. Bothell/Mill Creek seem to be turning into victims of uncontrolled growth. Duvall from what I hear is putting the brakes on new construction. However my suggestion to others would be to also consider the Snoqualmie/Fall City and Issaquah areas. They also were on my list if Monroe didn't check out.

The view from one of the homes in the community really sold me though. I felt like I was really living in Washington. Most of the other communities I checked out on the Eastside were like, well, living in NJ. No point in moving then, right?

Speaking of which, here's some impressions for 41willy's and anyone coming out here from NJ, as my impressions of guy born and raised there and after 30 years spent in the same house:

Weather:

Seattle's weather is much maligned. I always believed it, but it's not really like I expected. Yes, winter is cold and dreary, but it's not nearly as horrible as I'm used to. It doesn't get below freezing much. It drizzles fairly often. The days are really short. As far as summer goes, I'm still expecting it to start. My internal clock doesn't believe it's August. It's just not hot here- and I realize this year has been somewhat cooler than normal- but still... there was maybe 2 or 3 days where it was uncomfortable in my little Redmond apartment, but that's about it. So overall, I think the weather here gives you more usable days in a year, despite the 200+ days that are cloudy. Not too cold in the winter, not too hot in the summer. The east coast weather extremes aren't to be found. I think we had one or two thunderstorms this year- and they were pretty pathetic compared to what I'm used to. An inch of rain in a storm here is a major disaster and makes the news.

It's different, but I'll take it.

Traffic:

Yes, it sucks. Guesss what: it pretty much sucks if you live near any major city or employment center. At least here I'm not paying a toll while I sit inhaling carbon monoxide. Learn the back roads, and life will be much more tolerable.

Cost of living:

Groceries are about 20% more than I'm used to. Think shopping at ShopRite versus shopping at Wegmans. Sales tax is around 8.9%, but no state income tax. Vehicle registration is in the same ballpark, though there is a mandatory license plate replacement after 7 years. Again, beats paying tolls I think. Also consider that the weather is pretty moderate year round. If you own a house think how much money you'd save in electricity if you didn't have to run your air conditioner. (I know for me, that would be a few thousand bucks a year) and similarly, without those week-long cold snaps where the temperature never gets above 25 degrees- and the gas savings there. Those things add up. Most people around here don't even have A/C units in their homes. Not worth putting it in for most people for the perhaps 10 days a year it would be useful. When the weather is warm and clear, everyone disappears. Having to deal with the winter doldrums really makes you appreciate it when the weather is nice!

Livability:

With so many transplants in the area, I encounter very few people who are actually from here. It becomes a great adventure and discussion topic for all. People here seem happier and friendlier. I guess not making that awful commute into NYC every day makes a big difference. The bicycle is an acceptable and encouraged form of locomotion. Bike paths are provided on most of the roads. People ride in the rain. I'm told doing so builds character. The healthy living/low environmental impact lifestyle is starting to rub off I think. Maybe that's a good thing. It's slower paced here, but not as annoyingly slow as I find communities in the south. Work-life balance seems a lot more achievable and acceptable here.

Real estate:

Insanely inflated. Redmond area prices are really crazy. A 30 year old house that would go for maybe $400k in central NJ would sell for close to $700k here. New construction is easily $1M+ for a single family house in the 3000 sqft range, which would sell for maybe $700k back home. Difference between here and there is that here you have NO yard. The houses are very close- the land here is too valuable. It reminds me of the way houses are built in Jersey City or Bayonne- maybe 10 feet between houses. If you want a yard, you'd probably have to move to a place like Monroe- 20 to 30 miles away. (unless you've got a lot of money!)

I hear a lot of bitching about property taxes here being high. Real estate guy who worked with me on the Monroe house told me the taxes are "high" on new construction. "Expect to pay $5000 tax for a $500,000 house." I laughed. That's less than what I paid on a house in NJ worth almost half that amount.

So, my point is, there are values to be had if you're willing to make compromises. No place is perfect- but you can probably find a balance between the parameters that matter to you most.

Bugs

Incrementally less insects. Mosquitos are about the same, maybe more (hey, I'm living next to a river right now). Spiders about the same. No crickets. It's really quiet at night. They have slugs here that look like they could eat a cat. They're a real garden pest from what I can see. It's a little disturbing if you're used to the occasional thumbnail sized ones back east to suddenly encounter a living sausage sliding across the walkway.

Scenery:

Beautiful. Tons of trees. Lots of rivers, parks, trails. You can drive a few hours west and be in a rain forest. A few hours east and you're in a desert. Lots to explore. Bald eagles fly around here. And the best thing of all: the mountains here are made of rock and not garbage.

Seattle vs. NYC

Seattle is a lot smaller, that's for sure. First time I drove past it on I-5 my reaction was "that's it?". I'm not much of a city dweller, but I've been there a few times and it seems really nice. Pike Place Market is really fun. As far as stuff to do, Seattle is on par with NYC in terms of activities, places to go, concerts, etc. Just on a bit smaller of a scale. I must admit, I will miss my occasional trips into NYC, but Seattle is a fine town.

Overall:

It's not cheap to live here, but overall I think the value, lifestyle, etc. are better. In livability comparison between Monmouth County, NJ and Snohomish County, WA- WA wins in my opinion.

I'd be happy to expand on anything if anyone would find it helpful.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM

21 posts, read 94,474 times
Jersey Boy...I moved from NJ 12 years ago and have only been back once to visit. I miss the pizza too and the corn and tomatoes but that is all. You will love Washington. Check out the Leavenworth area past Steven's Pass for sheer beauty especially Lake Wenatchee State Park. Monroe is a haul from Microsoft and the traffic will get worse but they are working on the roads. You will find people so friendly and warm and driving is so polite compared to the dog eat dog driving in Jersey. Don't honk, be polite and don't be shocked when sales people just chat with you. It took me a few months to get used to people being so friendly. The best advice I got when I moved was never say 'if the weather is nice we will..." as you just need to do things whether it is pouring or not. You will see some real snowfall at Steven's Pass. Get good tires and chains and then on weekends you can go that direction in the Winter and actually see sun over the Pass. It rains in Seattle and then you get closer to Wenatchee and see sun in the Winter. I would not think twice about the jail.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:12 PM

8 posts, read 29,000 times
The only complaint I have about Monroe is the school system. There are some great teachers, but there are also some that are not up to par IMO. If you have kids and they are self starters and have no special needs yours will do fine. If you have kids who have particular learning styles it is best to home school and maybe take a class or two at Sky Valley where alternative courses and methods can be chosen from.

I don't know about east coast pizza, having never been there, but to me Papa Mia's restaurant is the best in Monroe. There is also Giorgio's Pizza on Evergreen Way in Everett that is really good. About a 20 - 30 minute drive from west Monroe & Hwy 2.

Other than the schools Monroe is a wonderful little town. People are great, the police try to get to know the kids (a sub station in the schools) as a preventative measure to keep kids out of trouble before they are mixing with it. The sub stations in the schools are not to watch the kids. They are there to be friends with the kids and talk to them if the child has problems and they choose not to talk to the school personnel. When my daughter was in middle to high school (TEENAGERS!) we had a rough time with her when we would not allow her to dress like Britney, date and hang out late at night, etc.
She would talk to Officer Atwood when she was ticked off at me and I was the enemy. The officers are like having another trusted parent when the child is not talking to their own. LOL

Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM

1,316 posts, read 2,468,202 times
Default If you are looking for good pizza

I am from New Jersey and miss the pizza but I have good news. If you want authentic style NY pizza, head to Village Pizza in Langley on Whidbey Island on Front Street. Not convenient from Monroe but if you want to experience good pizza, it's worth the trip. Not to mention the beauty of Whidbey Island!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington