Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,215,272 times

Advertisements

Hmm well the need for irrigation does not meet the standard of sweet spot I think, so yes, a little to dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 12,712 times
Default Loved Washington

I have traveled to Washington State twice in the last few years on vacation. Each time I came it was beautiful clear skies and everyone would joke that I brought Florida weather with me. My true passions in life is mountain biking, hiking, camping, fly fishing and a little bow hunting from time to time. I spent most of my time hiking the Cascade range from Stevens Pass, Snoqualmie, up to the Selkirks and also crossed over into BC to do some hiking there as well.

Many people warned me of the weather in WA and particularly how cloudy, moist and rainy it is. To that I can only reply that this area is a Coastal Rain Forest so it would make perfect sense that you would experience large amounts of moisture. Do you experience more gentle misting weather or outright downpours?????? Wet cool weather does not bother me if you dress appropriately and in layers.

Lastly, I have found that the majority of the residents to be educated, sophisticated, and generally kind and polite. I am truly thinking about making the move to NW Washington, I would like to spend the few years I have left in my life enjoying the company of good natured people and the clean fresh air and beauty of your mountains and wildlife. Probably will look for a place in the Snohomish county area unless there are other suggestion???

Any comments or questions by forums members would be truly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Martin

Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,823,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
You are not the first one to ask that question. One tycoon with the means to put his idea to the test, Samuel Hill, planned a farming community along those lines along the Columbia. He even wanted to bring in Quakers to farm, figuring them industrious. The experiment didn't really work out, and Sam lost a pile of money on it. I guess he had trouble attracting settlers.

He did, however, build a Stonehenge replica near the area, a war monument to WWI fatalities. It's still there. He also deeded his mansion, out in the middle of absolutely nowhere, as an art museum. Sounds like it must be no big deal until you see some of what they have. Shall we begin with the Rodins? So while the greenbelt experiment didn't work out in terms of the east/west happy medium, it did give us some great things.
I've been to the museum before, as well as to American Stone Henge. Beautiful area. The museum had peacocks in the yard.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail-Walker View Post
Do you experience more gentle misting weather or outright downpours?????? Wet cool weather does not bother me if you dress appropriately and in layers.
We get downpours every once in a while, but the main form of precipitation in and around Seattle, at least, is a misty drizzle, sometimes referred to as "mizzle."

Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,046,095 times
moderator interpose: We'd like to make a general redirection of this thread. If discussions primarily focus on Seattle weather in general, we'd like for those topics to be done in the dedicated weather and climate thread stickied at the top of the Seattle forum. Already there are duplicate discussions on western Washington weather which have already taken place in the "Seattle Weather/Climate Thread."

The reason for having a dedicated weather thread in the Seattle sub-forum was to avoid having multiple threads going on simultaneously on weather. At one time we had almost a dozen threads going on at the same time discussing practically the same weather topics and it was difficult to keep track of what was being said and where.

New members were consistently starting new threads asking such questions as "Is Seattle's weather as rainy as they say?" and similar questions.

I would like to suggest that this thread be focused on comparing weather and climate in different parts of the state instead of rehashing what has or is being discussed in the Seattle Weather/Climate Thread. Discussing weather in various regions of the state other than the Seattle metro area would be acceptable as well as general comparisons of climate west of the Cascades compared with that on the east side of the Cascades. Differences between different regions east of the Cascades would also be good.

Again, let's endeavor to keep discussions here different than what has been or is being discussed in the Seattle Weather/Climate Thread.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:24 AM

13 posts, read 12,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
We get downpours every once in a while, but the main form of precipitation in and around Seattle, at least, is a misty drizzle, sometimes referred to as "mizzle."
Thanks for the response and " Mizzle" is what it is all about than everyone can do all activities year round. Don't like cities, although Seattle is nice. Think I will start my search in Snohomish, Everett area, the further in the country the better!!!

Regards,

PS. People as generally so nice up in that area, very easy to make friends.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Well everyone has there own personal druthers and issues. I'm not sure I would mind even a fair amount of rain so much if it as long as there is some sun inbtw. Essentially I can deal with, and like, some of everything except extreme heat though I'll accept a period of summer with it, little water (rivers, lakes, rain, I do like water) and wind. I didn't realize I didn't like wind till I lived in Nebraska for a few years.

It doesn't sound like the farm experiment failed due to weather...or is that what you are saying?
I think calling it a failure is an overstatement. Remember it was attempted during a period in American history where the rich were not well respected by the average person. The average person had the skills to survive on their own and make their own living. They did not any help.

So why would anybody want to live as a serf in America?? Most American's had been there and done that by 1900 and they were not going back.

Here is a interesting blog posting on the area:
usbackroads™: Maryhill State Park, Goldendale, Washington

Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
moderator interpose: We'd like to make a general redirection of this thread. If discussions primarily focus on Seattle weather in general, we'd like for those topics to be done in the dedicated weather and climate thread stickied at the top of the Seattle forum. Already there are duplicate discussions on western Washington weather which have already taken place in the "Seattle Weather/Climate Thread."

The reason for having a dedicated weather thread in the Seattle sub-forum was to avoid having multiple threads going on simultaneously on weather. At one time we had almost a dozen threads going on at the same time discussing practically the same weather topics and it was difficult to keep track of what was being said and where.

New members were consistently starting new threads asking such questions as "Is Seattle's weather as rainy as they say?" and similar questions.

I would like to suggest that this thread be focused on comparing weather and climate in different parts of the state instead of rehashing what has or is being discussed in the Seattle Weather/Climate Thread. Discussing weather in various regions of the state other than the Seattle metro area would be acceptable as well as general comparisons of climate west of the Cascades compared with that on the east side of the Cascades. Differences between different regions east of the Cascades would also be good.

Again, let's endeavor to keep discussions here different than what has been or is being discussed in the Seattle Weather/Climate Thread.
Exactly what I wanted the thread to be in the first place, discussion of weather and climate situations state wide, and for comparisons of the two halves of the state, rather than focusing solely on the Seattle metro area. And even though IN GENERAL the climates of this state can be lumped into two main categories (Eastern Washington and Western Washington), there are SO MANY different micro climates, due to all kinds of differences in geography (hills/mountains, elevations, proximity to water, rain shadows, etc), all over the state that it's ridiculous! Just wanted people to have a general awareness of what they are getting into should they want to move here.

So let's keep this discussion going on people! Statewide weather related discussions, reports, and questions! Keep Seattle-only specific things in the Seattle thread!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:22 PM

Fall is on its way! I've spent the last several weeks in the Tri-Cities for work. The breezes here use to be so warm back in the beginning. Now the breezes have a little chill to them, despite the heat of the day. A sure sign that autumn is just around the corner! (Supposed to climb back up into the 90s after this weekend here though! Been 80s the last few days, and yesterday didn't even make it out of the 70s!).

Old 09-03-2011, 01:10 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Fall is on its way! I've spent the last several weeks in the Tri-Cities for work. The breezes here use to be so warm back in the beginning. Now the breezes have a little chill to them, despite the heat of the day. A sure sign that autumn is just around the corner! (Supposed to climb back up into the 90s after this weekend here though! Been 80s the last few days, and yesterday didn't even make it out of the 70s!).
This summer has been abnormal, the mildest one since I moved here in 1997. However, we are out of the heat woods (sagebrush?). Triple digits are probably done for the year. The TC are essentially seven months of paradise, three months of ice, two months of blistering heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington