Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:48 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,519,895 times

Advertisements

The surge in the Hispanic population is playing out in the Pacific Northwest much as it is in other parts of the USA: Their numbers in Washington jumped 71% to almost 756,000 since 2000, according to 2010 Census data released Wednesday.
The Asian population also soared, up 49% to almost 476,000. The non-Hispanic white population dropped from 79% to 73%, state demographer Yi Zhao says. It was more than 86% white 20 years ago. Almost three in 10 residents and almost four in 10 children are minorities.

Tallahassee - Minorities push Washington's growth

Old 03-04-2011, 03:11 PM

65 posts, read 77,167 times
Default demographics

This is very interesting information. The amount of growth is important to us in particular because we are looking to relocate from a heavily "engorged" minority state. Not looking to come across racist here, but one of the reasons we are escaping the area we live in now has to do with the repurcussions of this type of influx. So for the sake of argument, demographically speaking, which state has the least number of immigrants according to the most recent data? Has this flooding into Washington caused any significant problems or rise in crime statistics for the state or any specific area?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,469,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desangel View Post
This is very interesting information. The amount of growth is important to us in particular because we are looking to relocate from a heavily "engorged" minority state. Not looking to come across racist here, but one of the reasons we are escaping the area we live in now has to do with the repurcussions of this type of influx. So for the sake of argument, demographically speaking, which state has the least number of immigrants according to the most recent data? Has this flooding into Washington caused any significant problems or rise in crime statistics for the state or any specific area?
Depends where you go. Some small towns creak under a burden of non-property-tax-paying residency thieves, who have learned that everyone is afraid of being called racist. Once they figure that out, the ballgame's over. It's amazing to me that people sneak into a country illegally, then start making demands for their language to dominate in education, business and government. Plus, it sucks when you're outnumbered by over 5:1, as is the case in some eastern Washington towns.

The crime rate increase isn't so bad; what's bad is to have a bunch of people living in an area who have no permanent stake in its future. The natural action of selfish humanity is to demand everything for itself and offer nothing in return. This happens in those cases. Why beautify the area if you're just going to sneak back home later? Why invest for the long term? Unfortunately, not enough people are willing to take a firm stand: "Every aspect of this issue can be on the table, and we may find some compromise on it--save one. The discussion will be had in English, and English alone. Anyone who has not chosen to learn enough English to participate has and deserves no voice, and those who have will decide on the future without consulting them or caring what they think. And if they don't like that, great. They can go home and never return."

Old 03-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Default burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Depends where you go. Some small towns creak under a burden of non-property-tax-paying residency thieves, who have learned that everyone is afraid of being called racist. Once they figure that out, the ballgame's over. It's amazing to me that people sneak into a country illegally, then start making demands for their language to dominate in education, business and government. Plus, it sucks when you're outnumbered by over 5:1, as is the case in some eastern Washington towns.

The crime rate increase isn't so bad; what's bad is to have a bunch of people living in an area who have no permanent stake in its future. The natural action of selfish humanity is to demand everything for itself and offer nothing in return. This happens in those cases. Why beautify the area if you're just going to sneak back home later? Why invest for the long term? Unfortunately, not enough people are willing to take a firm stand: "Every aspect of this issue can be on the table, and we may find some compromise on it--save one. The discussion will be had in English, and English alone. Anyone who has not chosen to learn enough English to participate has and deserves no voice, and those who have will decide on the future without consulting them or caring what they think. And if they don't like that, great. They can go home and never return."
This is so exactly on point. I'm glad to hear someone voice this viewpoint as I believe there are a lot more people out there feeling the same way who are afraid, for whatever reason, to voice them. We are living smack dab in a situation just as you have described. We are the minority in our own neighborhood surrounded by people that are here only temporarily to take the money they can make by underbidding my husbands work and then run back to Mexico. I have no issues with immigrants who truly want to be here for the right reasons and learn the language, work hard to build a permanent life here, and care about those around them. I'm hard pressed to see these families in my area anymore. We don't feel that TX will see any kind of immigration reform ANY time in the future.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:01 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,469,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desangel View Post
This is so exactly on point. I'm glad to hear someone voice this viewpoint as I believe there are a lot more people out there feeling the same way who are afraid, for whatever reason, to voice them. We are living smack dab in a situation just as you have described. We are the minority in our own neighborhood surrounded by people that are here only temporarily to take the money they can make by underbidding my husbands work and then run back to Mexico. I have no issues with immigrants who truly want to be here for the right reasons and learn the language, work hard to build a permanent life here, and care about those around them. I'm hard pressed to see these families in my area anymore. We don't feel that TX will see any kind of immigration reform ANY time in the future.
That's why we have to dig in. It's also why I have stopped volunteering my fairly fluent Spanish to help with communication in many cases. The non-English speaker had a duty to learn English before he or she came to my country, legally or otherwise, at least enough to function a bit. I've stopped being the enabler for not doing so.

The problem is probably not as immediate and severe in Washington as Texas, even in the very small towns that are swamped with residency theft, but it's still pretty bad. I try and be careful to hire contractors who require their employees to have proof of the legal right to live and work in the United States, and I look down on businesses who offer services, assistance or signage in other languages. Ultimately the problem is economic, and to make it go away, Washington needs to assault the economic basis for residency theft as well as constantly raiding, harassing and otherwise making residency thieves miserable. Unfortunately, Washington is governed from and dominated by Seattle (never mind that the capital is Olympia), where all you have to do is hint 'that's RACIST!' and they'll roll over, wave their arms and legs, and cave in to whatever you want.

Residency theft is not 'illegal immigration.' The latter is an oxymoron, like 'permissible arson' or 'acceptable rape'.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM

129 posts, read 352,769 times
The growing hispanic population in Washington is directly related to the agricultural industry. If others were willing to do the work that they laborers that come up from Mexico every season do, then they would have no place here. But the cold hard truth is that our economy is dependant upon the immigrants, legal and otherwise.

There is simply not enough people willing to go out into the apple orchards every fall and pick apples all day long. So these immigrants come here every season, work hard and spend their money in our stores. They pay sales tax on everything they buy, they have income taxes taken out of their check. They are not getting the free ride eveybody thinks they are getting.

So some of them find this an attractive place to stay. I get that. If I didn't like it I could move on up to Canada and live there. Most of them do so legally. They've opened up businesses in my community. They take pride in their homes.

Those who don't like living up here go back to Mexico every winter. Who could blame them? It's cold up here.

There is no simple solution to the illegal prblem as anything that hurts them also hurt hundreds of legal families around here as well.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Default our reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcurran View Post
The growing hispanic population in Washington is directly related to the agricultural industry. If others were willing to do the work that they laborers that come up from Mexico every season do, then they would have no place here. But the cold hard truth is that our economy is dependant upon the immigrants, legal and otherwise.

There is simply not enough people willing to go out into the apple orchards every fall and pick apples all day long. So these immigrants come here every season, work hard and spend their money in our stores. They pay sales tax on everything they buy, they have income taxes taken out of their check. They are not getting the free ride eveybody thinks they are getting.

So some of them find this an attractive place to stay. I get that. If I didn't like it I could move on up to Canada and live there. Most of them do so legally. They've opened up businesses in my community. They take pride in their homes.

Those who don't like living up here go back to Mexico every winter. Who could blame them? It's cold up here.

There is no simple solution to the illegal prblem as anything that hurts them also hurt hundreds of legal families around here as well.
This is actually my thinking as well. It's a short ride from the border where I live. Washington, on the other hand, not so much. I feel that if they are there it's because they are working hard and trying to provide for their families just like my husband is doing. I can look up to that part of the issue. Not so much here - it's too easy for them to come in and take over a trade with their entire family and live off welfar and house entire family together to cut costs while they run my husband and honest contractors and subs looking to make an honest days pay for a skilled trade out of work because the companies here would much rather hire illegally (whether they can communicate with them or not) and save a buck than hire within their own nationality. It's a travesty and it has been in slow decline for a while now. No one, especially in TX, is willing to stand up and do anything about it because they are afraid of being labeled "racist". It has nothing to do with the color of their skin, it's the complete disregard for our country!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
The growing hispanic population in Washington is directly related to the agricultural industry.....
Really, you believe that it is directly related to Ag? Do you do much farming? Are you a Farm Bureau member ? There was a huge infusion from OR to WA just because OR started requiring US residency to get ID's and Drivers License. WA didn't. There are lots of reasons OUTSIDE of Ag. and LOTS of illegals in other employ.

Quote:
Oh, but there are some very simple solutions to Illegals WITHOUT burdening the legal immigrants, other countries enforce this to the letter of the law 24/7. The US doesn't have any leadership, much less giving the enforcement agencies any backbone or teeth.

Fair points, but the wimpy WA legislative body, naive supporters and the increasingly active crime / gang / drug business within the populace of illegal (and their legal counterparts) MAY likely leapfrog WA (and USA) ability to curtail their infiltration of our region and economy. WA better wake up, and fast.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM

129 posts, read 352,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Really, you believe that it is directly related to Ag? Do you do much farming? Are you a Farm Bureau member ? There was a huge infusion from OR to WA just because OR started requiring US residency to get ID's and Drivers License. WA didn't. There are lots of reasons OUTSIDE of Ag. and LOTS of illegals in other employ.

Oh, but there are some very simple solutions to Illegals WITHOUT burdening the legal immigrants, other countries enforce this to the letter of the law 24/7. The US doesn't have any leadership, much less giving the enforcement agencies any backbone or teeth.

Fair points, but the wimpy WA legislative body, naive supporters and the increasingly active crime / gang / drug business within the populace of illegal (and their legal counterparts) MAY likely leapfrog WA (and USA) ability to curtail their infiltration of our region and economy. WA better wake up, and fast.
I do have my little hobby farm. But I am located in a huge farming area. I see who works on the farms and orchards first hand. Farming is what brings them here. Granted many of the immigrants end up in construction, retail and other trades.

Yes, if the employers would nut-up and verify immigration status that would be wonderful. But as stated before if the farms can't get legal workers, they'll take what ever they can get. The solution to this is reform in the guest worker program. The USA doesn't not give out enough visas to cover the labor shortage.

Also you are not going to get argument from me about the wimpy ones over in Olympia.

The really sad part is most of those who are here legally actually want the reform as much as the rest of us. They are losing jobs to the illegals as well.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:24 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times
This is very true and it's simple to see why. A large amount of our entire states revenue still goes towards welfare. A large amount of welfare recipients are minorities and they pump out kids and get more monthly $$$ on the taxpayers tab for each kid. My wife and I both work and are struggling with the decision of only 1 kid or 2. It's said that at the current rate of growth, whites will be the minority by 2038-2052 depending on where you get the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington