Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:58 PM

65 posts, read 77,237 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

Husband, son, and I are looking to relocate to Washington state in about 6 months from Conroe, TX. Multiple reasons including but not limited to our son is Developmentally Delayed with dx of Aspergers (Autism) and WA reportedly has much better care, support, and advantages for his long term care. My husband has glaucoma and would be able to treat in WA legally in the manner which helps the most with the pain and pressure. We are tired of the unending heat of the summers here and also would like to be around nicer people. Ready for a change of scenery... Husband was forced out of home building by labor forces and lack of work. He is currently working temp work and we are both in college working on degrees. We figure we can do this just as well in very pretty WA as we can in TX. We are a one income family so that I can stay home to care for our son who is now homeschooled due to inadequate spec ed educational programs here. We are looking for the best town to relocate to in Washington state and hoping you can help.
We're looking for rentals to start with and would prefer anything besides a 1 story apartment or mh. We need something safe and relative to cost of living here. Within at least a couple of hours from Seattle for major med care if necessary. Labor Ready within commute. We're focusing on Bellingham but have looked at Port Angeles, Mt. Vernon, and Olympia as well. I like the idea of coastal WA, especially NW and Olympic Pen. There's so many towns I just don't know where to start. Husband says he would rather be somewhere semi-rural or rural (outside of downtown) and I'm okay with that but wouldn't mind around town either. I know this is long but any help that you guys are willing to give is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM

8,512 posts, read 8,858,540 times
Near Bellingham you might also look into Ferndale.

Port Angeles might work but it is probably at least 2 hours travel time away from Seattle and about 1 1/2 hours just to Bremerton if you needed something that Port Angeles does not have.

Near Mt. Vernon you might also look at Stanwood if you want small and fairly safe. Your husband could get into Mt. Vernon or Everett for employment and you'd have those options for shopping and medical care.

Outside of Olympia could work too.

Be advised that the shore near Mt. Vernon and Olympia within greater Puget Sound is a bit different in nature than the coast fronting the Pacific ocean directly. Bellingham is a bit wilder. Port Angeles is more like the Pacific coast itself.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,757,217 times
I would think for the medical/educational resources, Bellingham or Olympia would be good choices. They would still be a drive, but not too long a drive. Port Angeles, although coastal, would seem pretty far and limited for those same resources.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,658,250 times
I have no idea how old your son is. I do know that the EEU located on the UW Campus in Seattle is renowned for its expertise regarding your son's autism

I've seen first hand the amazing staff and facility and attended their auctions.

Experimental Education Unit - EEU | Haring Center

Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
My parents are in Port Angeles and I go there regularly, it can take 3-4 hours from Seattle, depending on the ferry wait time, and just about 3 hours if driving around through Tacoma via the Narrows Bridge. For accessibility to services and jobs I would definitely recommend being north of Seattle. The drive is a lot better than from the south end, though traffic in this areas is miserable all over. Mt Vernon is nice and closer but has fewer jobs, Bellingham would be better but farther. I'd try to stick closer, Stanwood,
Arlington or Lake Stevens. If you want to be west of the water on the penninsula, then Poulsbo or Silverdale which are an hour + closer than Port Angeles.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 AM

576 posts, read 2,264,220 times
I agree with bisjoe and NW Crow, Port Angeles is going to be too small and a bit too remote to readily meet your requirements. Besides the job market on the peninsuala is currently not that great.

Obviously, where you end up living will depend heavily upon if/where you find employment here but you may want to also consider the north end (of Seattle) such as the Bothell, Edmonds, Lynnwood area. Eastside (north/south of Bellevue) such as Kirkland, Woodinville, Issaquah might be another option but the latter towns can be pricier.

All of these areas would put you within easy striking distance of the major regional medical centers in Seattle, including Children's Hospital. These large centers are likely going to be more fluent in dealing with Aspergers variant of Autistic Disorder than the smaller hospitals in the region may be.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,794 posts, read 58,271,470 times
From your choices and desires I vote Bellingham, or nearby region that still allows ez access to I-5 in case you end up going to Seattle for care needs.

Building industry is pretty tough in most of WA (excluding tri-cities) / east side. They are still slow, but not stopped.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,386,847 times
A friend of mine was looking to move back to the Pacific Northwest after he retired from the military, but they have an autistic son. He discovered that he was much better off in Virginia that Washington because they had much better programs for autistic kids in the schools there than they have here.

With the school budget cuts and state funding cuts looming, special education students are going to be increasingly mainstreamed with other students around here.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
A friend of mine was looking to move back to the Pacific Northwest after he retired from the military, but they have an autistic son. He discovered that he was much better off in Virginia that Washington because they had much better programs for autistic kids in the schools there than they have here.

With the school budget cuts and state funding cuts looming, special education students are going to be increasingly mainstreamed with other students around here.
Interesting that you should mention Virginia as my husband was offered work there when the crew he's with now heads back that direction. I did not realize that they had such services. We had really been focusing on WA strictly because it had what my son and my husband both needed by way of med treatment. Thank you - I will have to mention this post to him for his thoughts.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Talking Thank you all

Thank you to everyone who replied with information for me. Little more detail - my son is 9, almost 10, so a little too old for the Haring Center although I had checked out the website as I saw it mentioned in another posting on the forum. He will need things like behavioral therapy (ABA) and speech as well as OT. Homeschooling will continue to be our primary method of education unless where we land has an awesome program fitting his individual needs. I will look closer at the Olympia areas as well as North of Seatlle - what is crime like in these areas? Also, what major areas should we stay away from?
I really like the looks of Bellingham for what we want but was wondering if anyone could give me details - such as the more affordable areas in and around the city and surrounding areas? Places to stay away from - what crime is like there? Best places to look for rental houses or townhouses, even rural areas. Where we are now is pretty much considered ghetto for the city we live in so anything is going to be a vast improvement. My husband will more than likely begin working thru a temp agency such as Labor Ready, as he is doing now, until we have a feel for the area.

Again, thank you everyone!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington