Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 AM

37 posts, read 92,684 times

Advertisements

My wife and I visited Bellingham/Everett/Seattle area last week to scope out the area, mainly for housing. I'm transferring to a job located in Mount Vernon and my wife will be looking for an architect job anywhere b/t Bellingham to Seattle. We're not sure where to concentrate our search yet; that's the reason for the wide range of our visit.

We are in our late 20s with no kids. Looking for a suburb area with good shopping, restaurants, grocery stores - we like convenience. We want our home to be 1600-2100 sq ft and around 5-15 years old. The budget is $250-300k. We are moving from Charleston, SC

Here is our impression from the long weekend:

Overall:
We loved the easy access to biking/walking trails. There were a lots people/dogs on the trails. The views are incredible when you can see it. Once we got outside of Lynnwood on I5, the traffic was not crazy. People drive slower - typically 3 mph over the limit. It was something I had to get use to.

Bellingham:
It snowed 3-4" the first morning! It's a beautiful city. It's a decent sized city - has everything you need without all the crowded feeling. The housing development has pockets of new houses mixed with the old. I'm guessing the terrain prevents the developers from "mass producing" neighborhoods.

Marysville/Lake Stevens area:
This was our favorite area; however, the commute to Mt Vernon going to be long. The shopping around I5 (Marysville exits) is great. There are great homes in the area and somewhat affordable. They not your cookie-cutter homes. Lake Stevens has one major shopping center with pretty much what you need. These two "suburbs" are smaller than what we're used to, but have the amenities we need.

Questions/Feedback: Can you help me?
  • My biggest concern is the commute. What is the traffic around Marysville/Lake Stevens during rush hrs to get on/off I5?
  • My wife may work in Seattle. How is the lite rail in Everett to/from Seattle?
  • Any tips on the neighborhoods in Marysville/Lake Stevens area?
  • Are there any "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants in Marysville/Lake Stevens or is it all franchises and chains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,601 times
Traffic around Marysville would be fairly heavy much of the time, while Bellingham to Mt Vernon shouldn't be a problem. There aren't very many people between those two cities.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
The train from Everett to Seattle is actually commuter rail (heavy rail) and not light rail. It takes about an hour and there are four commuter trips in each direction during the weekdays.

However, the ST express bus service between Seattle and Everett usually takes under an hour and I believe there are over 20 trips in each direction during the extended commuter hours.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
The train from Everett to Seattle is actually commuter rail (heavy rail) and not light rail. It takes about an hour and there are four commuter trips in each direction during the weekdays.

However, the ST express bus service between Seattle and Everett usually takes under an hour and I believe there are over 20 trips in each direction during the extended commuter hours.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like the bus commute is a better option than the commuter rail.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy7th View Post
Thanks for the response. Sounds like the bus commute is a better option than the commuter rail.
Well except for the part about having to take the bus. Trains are more comfortable. On the other hand, do they get you close to your work?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:16 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
In general, freeway traffic is a bit calmer than the rest of the US in NW Washington. Parts of the Seattle metro can be a bit more frantic, especially 405. But you will find the areas north of Arlington still quite rural in character, although I sense this is changing. Frankly, I think this general area will be the next big thing in the NW, so any real estate purchase could pay off handsomely, if you are patient.

To answer your specific questions, not sure. This is an area that you just need to experience to get a real feel. Your instincts seem to be on target, though.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:29 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Well except for the part about having to take the bus. Trains are more comfortable. On the other hand, do they get you close to your work?
Generally, yes, trains are more comfortable.

However, Sound Transit has taken the effort to make their buses more comfortable than a regular city bus. They use padded cloth seats, some with arm rests and foot rests and reclining seatbacks; all coaches are air conditioned; many have wifi; most have overhead luggage racks; and they have more sound insulation than the normal city bus.

Also, ST has bought heavier over-the-road-type coaches to put on longer routes coming into downtown Seattle from Pierce and Snohomish counties. These are similar to Greyhounds and are heavier and have better suspension components than ordinary city buses.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I'm on my way to WA today for work and to revisit Marysville and Lake Stevens. Meeting with a real estate agent on Friday.

My wife will be looking for an architecture job b/t Seattle and Mount Vernon. I hope she is able to find a job within 6 months of moving.

I'm glad to hear the commute options to get into Seattle. I would hate for her to drive an hr+ every day in traffic.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Default Lake Steven Area Homes?

My wife and I are headed back to Lake Stevens area early next year. We are looking at south of the lake, around HWY2 & 20th St SE. Does anyone have any feedback?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,569 times
I'm moving to Arlington on Christmas Day. Just me and my goldens. I'll contribute whatever I can to this thread once I get the "picture." In the meantime, I hope more people chime in with impressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington