Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM

53 posts, read 179,327 times

Advertisements

Any help would be great! I am moving to Bellingham next month for work, even though I've never actually been there. I am a single mom in her 20s, so are there any neighborhoods to avoid? I'm looking for a 2 brd room in the 750-1050 range that has a fireplace and is dog friendly. What is a good neighborhood that has plenty trees, but maybe walking distance to shops or a farmers market. Good preschools/pre-k? What are good vegetarian places to eat? Any secrets the locals can offer? how much do utilities usually run? Good grocery stores? How is the sales tax, I am going to be buying a new car, but not sure if I should do it there or before I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 04:15 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,653,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalolina View Post
Any help would be great! I am moving to Bellingham next month for work, even though I've never actually been there. I am a single mom in her 20s, so are there any neighborhoods to avoid?
The worst areas in Bellingham really aren't that bad. I would avoid the area south of Alabama between Woburn and Pacific. And Bham is a college town, so be aware of the areas close to WWU. Can get noisy with the student housing.

The Southside schools are the best. (Happy Valley ES, Wade King ES. Fairhaven MS, Sehome HS)

Quote:
I'm looking for a 2 brd room in the 750-1050 range that has a fireplace and is dog friendly.
That will be a bit of a challenge but it can be done.

What is a good neighborhood that has plenty trees, but maybe walking distance to shops or a farmers market. Good preschools/pre-k?

Samish, Fairhaven, Happy Valley (be careful though, close to WWU), South Neighborhood, Southside all serve the southside schools

Check here for others...

Bellingham Neighborhoods | Bellingham WA Neighborhood | Bellingham Real Estate

Quote:
What are good vegetarian places to eat? Any secrets the locals can offer?
This is a very liberal town. As such there are numerous offerings for vegetarians. Vege Express, The Soy House and many others. Lots of great Thai and various other ethnic places to eat as well.

Quote:
how much do utilities usually run?
That depends on various factors, but cable, heat, phone, internet and garbage run me about $200.00

Quote:
Good grocery stores?
Haggen is the local chain, but they are, in my view, very overpriced. Try Fred Meyer and The Market at Fairhaven.

Quote:
How is the sales tax, I am going to be buying a new car, but not sure if I should do it there or before I go.
Sales tax is high here. Roughly 9%. In fairness, there is no WA State Income tax.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,715 times
Stay away from Texas street. Low rent and you get what you pay for. The Columbia, Elizabeth Park, and Fairhaven neighborhoods are nice. In my opinion Fairhaven has the best schools and is a great place to walk around with kids. You can go down and get ice cream, walk along the boardwalk, music/festivals in the pavilion and outdoor movies in the summer. Also a farmers market all summer on Wednesday afternoons. I lived there for many years, with kids for the last few, and loved it! However, it might be hard to find a house to rent there for that price, but definitely look.

Haggen is the higher end local grocery, they are nice, but pricier. The Co-op is great, but again pricier. We have found luck with Fred Meyer, they have a pretty good organic selection, considering it's a big chain, and we save $$.

There are a lot of great preschools in the area. It really just depends on what you are looking for. Most of the schools have open houses in the spring and will set up a time for tours any time. We went with Loving Space School, my oldest is just about to graduate and my youngest starts in the fall. We love it! It's a less structured environment which was a better route for us. I have heard good things about Whatcom Day Academy, they are more structured if that is what your looking for. My recommendation for schools is to visit many, ask a lot of questions and see what fits best for you, but there are a lot of great options in Bellingham for preschool. Many churches also offer good programs for much cheaper.

As for vegetarian restaurants I don't have any specific recommendations. Many of my friends are vegetarians and most of the restaurants we frequent are no problem. La Fiama, Boundry Bay, Temple Bar (for grown ups, but great if you get a night out), The Black Cat, Bayou on the Bay. I did just notice a vegetarian drive thru! I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great.

When we lived in Fairhaven we had a 100 year old 2 bed/1 bath house and the power ran about $80-$100 in the winter, gas was about the same. Cable, phone, etc. just depends on what you need. Sales tax is 8.9%, I am not sure if buying a car here is better or not, but we aren't too far from Mt. Vernon or Everett if you find a better deal there.

Hope this helps, Bellingham is a great place to raise kids.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:04 AM

53 posts, read 179,327 times
Thank you far all the help! What about school districts? My daughter will be entering Kindergarten soon. Any particular places to stay away from? How many schools are there?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,554 times
HI- i am a mom moving to Bellingham too and have a 2 year old daughter. I tried to call your number but it didnt go through. I would be interested in talking with you and networking. I know alot about the city as I have lived there before. Thanks, Natalia

Old 07-02-2010, 01:10 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,740,041 times
I keep trying to tell people, there are still jobs here only because the cost of living is so damn high...
There is no free lunch in this country right now....
Research and move with caution if you do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington