Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,229 times

Advertisements

I am from Washington but living in Texas currently, and I am applying for government jobs all over Washington state so I can come back home. I just applied for a job with the Forest service and one of the locations is White Swan. I found a little info on it on google, apparently it's on the Yakima reservation, not too far from Yakima. Has anyone ever been in that area or know anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 06:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I am from Washington but living in Texas currently, and I am applying for government jobs all over Washington state so I can come back home. I just applied for a job with the Forest service and one of the locations is White Swan. I found a little info on it on google, apparently it's on the Yakima reservation, not too far from Yakima. Has anyone ever been in that area or know anything about it?
I certainly wouldn't live there, as a white. Nothing against the Yakamas, but 2/3 of the town is Indian, and in most situations on reservations when Indians are the majority, it's a rare white who will tend to feel very welcomed in my experience. My school used to play them in basketball now and then, and no one spoke very favorably of the town. Even when you factor out the very significant racism factor that was in play, it's saying something when not one commentator is enthused.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:01 PM

24 posts, read 59,466 times
i used to live near there you will probably want to choose somewhere else to work there is nothing out there or you could live in yakima and commute out there everyday alot of people did that its a bad little town with really nothing to offer i would rather live anywhere else then there.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:10 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Known quite a few folks out there, NDN and white. Most got along ok. The Rez police do have a tough rep when it comes to dealing with whites.

Depending on what you do for the FS, you might not have to live there, or would actually spend little time there.

Most folks there go into Yakima to do much. Not sure if it is still the case (if not, it's not far off) but most folks worked in ag-type businesses--orchards, ranches, food processing, etc. Unemployment has always (well, at least during my lifetime of 50+ years) been tough there.

Geographically, I like the area. It's dry with woods and mountains nearby. Dry woods dominated by fir and pine..you have some steppe type country with sagebrush, nearly desert. Elevation in the area makes a huge difference on the type of country you have, but there is alpine country not far away.

J_k_k, you ever play the Wapato Wolves? Yeah, that was fun, too...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
J_k_k, you ever play the Wapato Wolves? Yeah, that was fun, too...
They were at least one class up from us (B-11). However, we did get to go play Mabton in all sports. Imagine the joy.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 PM

55 posts, read 279,453 times
Four hurt in crash near White Swan | Yakima Herald-Republic

Running stop signs is quite the hobby in the Lower Valley.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509er View Post
Four hurt in crash near White Swan | Yakima Herald-Republic

Running stop signs is quite the hobby in the Lower Valley.
That, and just parking on the highway when either too drunk to drive or run out of gas...

Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

55 posts, read 279,453 times
Van runs stop sign, killing two in pickup near Toppenish | Yakima Herald-Republic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington