Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 51,245 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm in my late twenties, and am relocating back to the DC metro area from the UK - I lived in Columbia MD the last time around, but would prefer to give urban life a go this time.

I'll be working just south of Laurel MD off 295 - haven't seen many people in the forums contemplating a commute from DC/NoVA up north, so I'd be interested to hear any comments on whether this is insane or doable. I'm trying to avoid the beltway. I think I've narrowed my choices down to the Capitol Hill/Penn Quarter/Waterfront areas or the bits of Arlington closer to 395/295.

What's important to me:
(safe) running routes,
commute preferably under 45 minutes - would rather drive 30 miles and keep moving than do 15 in stop-and-go,
reasonable walking distance to metro - grocery store/restaurants/bars a plus but if I can get to a metro I'm good

Trendiness and nightlife aren't important, nor is the demographic of the area - I'm not very social Gritty doesn't bother me as long as I'll be safe running/walking alone at night.

So, primary questions:

1) What's the 395 bridge like in the mornings, going from Arlington to DC? Crazy? I've driven from Capitol Hill to work in about 25 minutes, but not sure about the Arlington stretch into DC.

2) What's car crime like in DC/VA? I'll be travelling for business about 50% of the time and so will have to leave the car on it's own for extended periods - is it worth it shelling out extra for parking in a garage?

3) I'm contemplating rooming with a friend of mine that's also relocating - he'll be working in Fairfax. One of us will of course have to settle for a longer commute than the other - Arlington I suppose would be the best compromise?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Cheers
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 73,325 times
1) What's the 395 bridge like in the mornings, going from Arlington to DC? Crazy? I've driven from Capitol Hill to work in about 25 minutes, but not sure about the Arlington stretch into DC.

A 1) The Mason Bridge (I-395 bridge) is terrible in the mornings as well as in the afternoons--in both directions. It's not as busy from about 9:45 am until 2:30 pm. But of course, this varies from day to day depending on events, tourist trap specials, and so on.

2) What's car crime like in DC/VA? I'll be travelling for business about 50% of the time and so will have to leave the car on it's own for extended periods - is it worth it shelling out extra for parking in a garage?

A 2) Car crime is average in DC when compared to Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami, and San Diego. Window smashes are common when parking on the streets in more residential areas (as compared to parking on K Street NW). Lately, it hasn't mattered if you leave things in plain view or not. See this (broken link) on my site. And I'm not sure of many places one can park on the street for extended periods of time (street cleaning, rush hour regulations, residential zones, etc.) so in all honesty, I believe the garage is worth it 100%.

3) I'm contemplating rooming with a friend of mine that's also relocating - he'll be working in Fairfax. One of us will of course have to settle for a longer commute than the other - Arlington I suppose would be the best compromise?

A 3) Arlington, in the Clarendon area would work nicely also.

All the best for your move...

Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM

13 posts, read 51,245 times
Thanks for the info....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC