Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 21,856 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Could anyone share their thoughts on 13th and K SE vs. 9th and F NE? In particular, I'm wondering how people would compare safety, ease of street parking (I have a car and probably will be street parking), and potential for investment appreciation over the next 5 years. Given the same home, would you pay more for one location over the other?

Last edited by dudeoflife; 03-01-2010 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: removed my name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM

188 posts, read 670,677 times
Street parking aint bad around 9th and F. Its not great, but it gets worse the closer you get to H. 13th and K is much closer to some projects but its also closer to a Harris Teeter. 9th and F is plenty safe. I have no idea about 13th and K.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,556 times
9th and F any day. 13th and K is still a rather rough area. You're near Potomac Gardens, which is always the source of many a gunshot. 9th and F is a lot quieter. Parking is fine at 9th and F too.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapHillNoggin View Post
9th and F any day. 13th and K is still a rather rough area. You're near Potomac Gardens, which is always the source of many a gunshot. 9th and F is a lot quieter. Parking is fine at 9th and F too.
The crime stats don't really support this, however. Going back during the last year, there were 93 violent crimes reported within 1500 feet of 9th and F, and 77 reported within 1500 feet of 13th and K SE--which roughly a difference of 17%.

Now, there may be an argument to be made that there is a greater amount of foot traffic at 9th and F, which would somewhat even the stats out in terms of victim likelihood. But even if that is done, it doesn't support the notion that 9th and F is "a lot quieter". If anything, with higher gross crime levels and greater foot traffic, it is much "louder" than 13th and K.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 21,856 times
Default Crime Stats

Thanks for everyone's replies. Regarding crime stats, I had looked at those but they're difficult to compare for this reason -- within the 1500 ft radius of 13th and K SE is the SE/SW Freeway, Potomac River, and random industrial areas. Obviously, there isn't much crime (or much of anything) going on there. So, crime density in the places you might actually walk around may be higher at 13/K even though the stats might be lower.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeoflife View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies. Regarding crime stats, I had looked at those but they're difficult to compare for this reason -- within the 1500 ft radius of 13th and K SE is the SE/SW Freeway, Potomac River, and random industrial areas. Obviously, there isn't much crime (or much of anything) going on there. So, crime density in the places you might actually walk around may be higher at 13/K even though the stats might be lower.
I am inherently skeptical of crime statistics myself, but I posted those simply to warn against making broad generalizations. The truth is, 9th and F and 13th and K are not worlds apart. Perhaps one is slightly worse than the other, but that's going to end up largely a matter of perception. Personally, I would be fine with either area. There is probably a bit more to do around 9th and F, but neither of them is Georgetown, and neither of them is Barry Farms.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,251,072 times
I know someone near 9th and F. Have parked my car at that exact corner many a time. Parking has never been a problem even during the blizzard, of course got the new experience of digging out a parking space, but there's plenty of parking. So this VA boy can co-sign for 9th and F. Good spot fairly quiet. I've never felt unsafe at that corner. At the same time as mentioned neither corner is crime free though. Friend has had his car broken into before. I've never had a problem when visiting though.

The nice thing about the other location is the proximity to the metro but if you have a car then you really don't need the metro anyways.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,665 times
Offered a job on Potomic Ave.
how safe would I be in that area?
I am a disabled women, and don't know much about DC.
Please give me some advice ASAP!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:35 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,747,100 times
H Street all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC