Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,251 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Trying to find a rental in the mid- 1000's and have found some interesting places in both Montgomery Village and Germantown (I'm working in Gaithersburg). Are both places safe? Both seem to have really good parts and kinda sketchy parts.

Given a choice, where would you live?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 07:42 PM

220 posts, read 704,433 times

Montgomery Village

Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM

37 posts, read 130,977 times
I use to live in Germantown because that was the cheapest place to rent an apartment with decent square footage. You should check out The Elms of Germantown or the Elms of Kingsview. Good neighborhoods and directly located across from Ride On Bus Stops.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,593 times
Montgomery Village is a little closer in to the city, if that makes a difference to you. They're both pretty far out there, though. I lived near the Lakeforest Mall/Montgomery Village area for a couple of years, and it was fine. Not terribly exciting, but you could do worse.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,724,655 times
Germatown, definitely. They're both not that far out; It's still deep suburbia. Germantown is about 5 min. north along I-270 from Mont. Village Rd., and about 10-15min. away on MD 355. Both areas are safe, but Montgomery Village has a reputation for being a haven for illegal immigrants. Germantown is nicer though and more upscale (the majority of it). It's basically a newer, planned, and better layed out twin of Gaithersburg (their populations are both 55-60K with almost equal median incomes) without some of the amenities such as a mall (Lakeforest Mall is in Montgomery Village).

Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Germatown, definitely. They're both not that far out
I suppose that would depend on your definition of "not that far out". It's a good 45-50 minutes into central DC from up there. To me, that's pretty darn far out. Places like Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville, etc. aren't too far out. By the time you hit Gaithersburg, IMO you've reached outter suburbia.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I suppose that would depend on your definition of "not that far out". It's a good 45-50 minutes into central DC from up there. To me, that's pretty darn far out. Places like Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville, etc. aren't too far out. By the time you hit Gaithersburg, IMO you've reached outter suburbia.
Yeah, in traffic. I've made it to the Beltway in 10min (I timed it). To me outer suburbs are like Frederick and Charles Counties (Urbana, Waldorf etc.), but yeah I guess it does depend on your definition.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM

188 posts, read 670,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yeah, in traffic. I've made it to the Beltway in 10min (I timed it). To me outer suburbs are like Frederick and Charles Counties (Urbana, Waldorf etc.), but yeah I guess it does depend on your definition.
I don't feel like Frederick is a suburb of DC. Why anyone would choose to live there if they have a regular commute to DC is beyond me. It's even further away than Baltimore, which is hands down DC's best suburb.

*ducks and runs away very fast*

Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 PM

188 posts, read 670,706 times
oh wait. you mean frederick county not city. yes, that would probably still be considered DC suburbs. still would suck to drive that far tho.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellyofthebeast View Post
oh wait. you mean frederick county not city. yes, that would probably still be considered DC suburbs. still would suck to drive that far tho.
Yeah, the county. Trust me a whole lot of people drive that far. I-270 in Frederick County all the way down to Clarksburg when it starts widening is the most congested highway in DC's northern suburbs. And if you think that's bad you may keel over when I tell you that many people commute from as far as Martinsburg, WV Hagerstown, MD and Gettysburg, PA. I've also heard of someone commuting from Delaware or SE PA! I personally think it's insane to commute 1-2+ hours each way, everyday just to save a few shillings on housing costs. The wear and tear and gas costs on your car alone must hit you pretty hard in the pocket as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC