Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 10,310 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am a 25 year old female that recently got a job working in hospitality in the District I am moving from Chicago to D.C. within a few days and have already started my apartment hunt here at home. I do have some idea of where I am looking, but am wondering where are some good neighborhoods for young people with cute shops and fun things to do. Currently, I've been looking at apartments in:
Vienna
Falls Church
Alexandria
Fairfax
Mostly anything generally close to a Metro. Anyone have any good suggestions on fun neighborhoods that are close to the Metro (and affordable)? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 AM

7 posts, read 26,603 times
2 important questions: What is your budget, and are you willing to live with a roommate or not?

I'd definitely suggest getting a roommate at 25, because you'll be able to afford to live in a young/hip neighborhood.

Have you considered Arlington? That is probably one of the best places in Northern VA for younger people. A lot of the places that you listed above (Vienna, Falls Church, Fairfax...) are great communities, but not if you're looking for a younger, hip crowd. Those are a bit more suburbs-like...which is great for a certain stage of your life, but definitely not if you are in your mid 20s.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Where will you be working? What's your budget?

When I think "young hip crowd" my first thought is the U Street area in DC. Then maybe Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, or Columbia Heights. If you really want the suburbs, then try Clarendon or Ballston. Old Town Alexandria is also a great area, though often seems to cater more to the 30s+ crowd than 20s (just to keep in mind). You could also try Silver Spring in MD. The other areas you mentioned are also nice but are more suburban and family-type areas.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:28 PM

128 posts, read 355,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
If you really want the suburbs, then try Clarendon or Ballston.
Statements like that always make me laugh I used to live in Westover Village in Arlington (west of Ballston but east of the East Falls Church Metro...which btw IS in Arlington!), and I would always tell my friends from D.C. how it's "not that far" and it's still very "urban" but they would just laugh at me. Truth be told, Westover is pretty suburban, and Arlington, despite being a very cool place, is by-and-large a "one-horse town" at night. Yes it has a few decent bars and clubs, but your options are pretty limited. It will never be D.C., but then again it was never intended to be. It has strengths in other areas that D.C. lacks (local gov't competency anyone?). Anyway, the funniest part to me is that despite what you feel about Arlington, there are about 10 layers of suburb beyond it, so if you already consider Arlington to be a suburb then venture no further!

Now I live in Silver Spring, which ironically is actually further from downtown D.C. yet it doesn't seem to draw the same "here be dragons" comparison that Arlington got from my friends in the city (but they still consider it the 'burbs!). It does actually feel a bit more urban here for some reason...maybe it's the above-ground Metro?

What will be really interesting is to see how Tysons Corner transforms over the next 10 years. I read somewhere once that their goal is to make it "Arlington-lite", which means it will increase in density but not quite as much as Arlington. Hopefully they'll add some sorely needed quality residential buildings and improve the walkability.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:37 PM

98 posts, read 284,977 times
Adams Morgan

Old 06-15-2009, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 113,573 times
Pentagon City in South Arlington might be a good place for you- cheaper than Orange Line Arlington or living in DC, but closer-in for metroing back and forth to fun in DC, and walkable to an upscale mall and other shopping and restaurants, as well as fairly close to the Mount Vernon bike trail.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:49 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
To the OP: Where did you live in Chicago? (Close to a Starbucks, I presume.) Where would you have wanted to live in Chicago? Fairfax County, which you posted about, is pretty darn suburban even if it's along the Metro -- it would feel more like the northwest suburbs than anywhere within Chicago. Plus, the distance into DC could get to be a drag for a daily commute.

For hospitality jobs, you might work some late hours -- do check to make sure that you can get home via Metrorail, since it doesn't run all night like the CTA.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:12 PM

741 posts, read 2,780,210 times
The places you mentioned in your orginal post are not hip in any slight terms whatsoever.. plus they are farther out from DC by metro for your commute than DC which might make them cheaper, but not neccesarily...

Old 07-06-2009, 07:17 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Vienna...Fairfax...Falls Church...hip? I should think not. Depending on what you're looking for, those may be fine places to be. But if you're looking for a "hip" place with fun things to do, none of those places should be at the top of your list.

My suggestion: look for a roommate, and pursue a place in Logan Circle, U Street, Adams Morgan or H Street NE. There you will find the hipsters in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC