Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM

184 posts, read 491,510 times

Advertisements

Winters here aren't that bad. Nobody here knows how to drive in the snow, unfortunately, and we do get several icy storms each year. Coming from NY, I think you'll find the winters here fairly mild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musincy View Post
Winters here aren't that bad. Nobody here knows how to drive in the snow, unfortunately, and we do get several icy storms each year. Coming from NY, I think you'll find the winters here fairly mild.
I don't know, my dad used to live in NY and says winters here are basically the same. You are right about people here not being able to drive though haha.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,115 times
NYC weather is COMPLETELY different than DC. I'm from the NY area.DC has much milder winters and warmer summers. The weather in DC is pretty close to that of Raleigh/Durham area. It is the mid-atlantic and the weather is "mid-atlantic-ish."Mild winters. Typically 1-3 snows per winter where NYC gets more like 25-30 inches per year, DC gets about 10. That is less than HALF the snow of NYC. DC typically has 1-3 snows that are less than 7 inches and it melts within a few days. Also, it can get pretty cold, however, it can also get pretty warm. DC has those times where you get hight 60s in the winter, then there are times when you get 20s. BUT, when you get 20s, you're getting 20s-30s in the south as well. When it's COLD in DC it is typically COLD in Carolina, Atlanta etc etc. I went to Atlanta for the weekend in January and it was snowing and cold and it was 40s and no snow in DC.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songstress76 View Post
NYC weather is COMPLETELY different than DC. I'm from the NY area.DC has much milder winters and warmer summers. The weather in DC is pretty close to that of Raleigh/Durham area. It is the mid-atlantic and the weather is "mid-atlantic-ish."Mild winters. Typically 1-3 snows per winter where NYC gets more like 25-30 inches per year, DC gets about 10. That is less than HALF the snow of NYC. DC typically has 1-3 snows that are less than 7 inches and it melts within a few days. Also, it can get pretty cold, however, it can also get pretty warm. DC has those times where you get hight 60s in the winter, then there are times when you get 20s. BUT, when you get 20s, you're getting 20s-30s in the south as well. When it's COLD in DC it is typically COLD in Carolina, Atlanta etc etc. I went to Atlanta for the weekend in January and it was snowing and cold and it was 40s and no snow in DC.

My family is partly from NY so I'm familiar with the weather there. (Does it even snow in Raleigh?) Don't know where you got your facts, but on average DC has only 4-6 inches less snow than NY, and is usually only about 2-3 degrees warmer at anytime. Plus, New York is closer to the Atlantic and barely above sea level. Not to mention that DC is closer to NY by a good 50 miles.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:29 AM

24 posts, read 50,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistt View Post
My wife and I are getting out of upstate NY and away from the 90+ inches of snow per year.

Washington is one of our choices for various reasons, although we realize that the winter isn't as mild as it is further south.

But how bad is it?

Where we are now it's just plain cold from the middle of November until the middle of March.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts - especially from anyone that used to live further up north.

Thats funny, I had some fool from Rochester tell me that there is not 5 - 6 month of winter up there.

The winter in the DC are is pretty mild. WHEN it shows its usually melted in a weeks time at most. You can wear shorts well into October.

You will be lucky to have a White Christmas in the DC metro area. Its far warmer than upstate NY.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:43 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
My family is partly from NY so I'm familiar with the weather there. (Does it even snow in Raleigh?) Don't know where you got your facts, but on average DC has only 4-6 inches less snow than NY, and is usually only about 2-3 degrees warmer at anytime. Plus, New York is closer to the Atlantic and barely above sea level. Not to mention that DC is closer to NY by a good 50 miles.
I completely agree with you, cpterp. It does snow in Raleigh, but so irregularly that the city didn't have snow plows when I went to college in the Triangle (and that was earlier this decade). In the winter, Raleigh-Durham has loads of 50+ degree days, and the temperature rarely goes below 25 at night. DC is definitely closer to NYC, both distance- and weather-wise. I mean, DC weather is between NYC and RDU weather, but that should be self-evident from looking at a map of the East Coast.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
Biggest difference vs. NYC area is late winter/early spring. Avg high temp difference between here and there grows from about 4 degrees mid-Jan to 7 degrees early March. March baseball leagues are far more viable here than up there.

If you're comparing to upstate NY, then there is no comparison.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
I've live in both upstate NY and DC. DC is a walk in the park. You'll use your snow shovel about 4-5 times a season and only shovel 1-2 inches. Ever 5 years or so we get a dump of 9-12 inches.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I've live in both upstate NY and DC. DC is a walk in the park. You'll use your snow shovel about 4-5 times a season and only shovel 1-2 inches. Ever 5 years or so we get a dump of 9-12 inches.
Last year was my first real winter here in 10 years since I last lived in this area. I keep hearing that last year was a fluke and isn't often. I went back to NYC a few weekends in february 2014 and it was brutal compared to what we had. But then again, I had just moved from miami after living there 10 years so I was still in shock. What a friggin welcome huh.... I am actually looking fwd to the winter this year.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistt View Post
My wife and I are getting out of upstate NY and away from the 90+ inches of snow per year.

Washington is one of our choices for various reasons, although we realize that the winter isn't as mild as it is further south.

But how bad is it?

Where we are now it's just plain cold from the middle of November until the middle of March.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts - especially from anyone that used to live further up north.
Winter in D.C.:

Snowmaggedon DC Feb 6, 2010 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: