Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 AM

573 posts, read 2,507,449 times

Advertisements

While I was visiting looking for an apartment last weekend (loved it by the way), I was rear-ended. I was by myself, it was across from Nationals Stadium, it was getting dark, and the other drive was male. Clearly I was not going to say to him essentially, "ok please hang out while I call the police". In both places that I've lived filing a police report after the fact for relatively minor accidents is the norm. So of course I went to file a police report right after I let the guy go (after getting his insurance info of course) and they tell me that as soon as the other party leaves the scene you can't file one. Anyone else find this to be ridiculous/rather unsafe for single female drivers? And any idea why this rule is in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 09:28 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,725,402 times
I was hit by a taxi last June and had a similar experience. I didn't have my cell phone and he refused to call the police (he also refused to give me his insurance info, which my insurance company said is common for taxi drivers). I did a similar thing, where I planned to file a police report once I got to a phone/station, but they said that once you leave a scene, a report can't be filed.

I'm not sure why, and yes, I can see where this can be unsafe. At least you got his insurance info, so you may not have to go through as much hassle as I did.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:41 AM

573 posts, read 2,507,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I was hit by a taxi last June and had a similar experience. I didn't have my cell phone and he refused to call the police (he also refused to give me his insurance info, which my insurance company said is common for taxi drivers). I did a similar thing, where I planned to file a police report once I got to a phone/station, but they said that once you leave a scene, a report can't be filed.

I'm not sure why, and yes, I can see where this can be unsafe. At least you got his insurance info, so you may not have to go through as much hassle as I did.
If he didn't give you info and wouldn't call the police wouldn't that technically be a hit and run? They told me that was the only way I could file a report at that point. And yes, it didn't even cross my mind asking him to wait while I called the police...what if that would have really pissed him off? Super unsafe.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,731,969 times
Here's some info about DC. Go to the police station and ask to speak to a Sergeant or Lieutenant. You can also call 311 which is the Mayor's Office to get the correct information. I'm not sure of the policy, but it is likely that this could be a rule for reasons unknown.

In terms of the taxi drivers, most are immigrants and many are not licensed to drive the cabs. There was an estimate several years back that over a third of the cab drivers are not licensed in DC. A lot of times they use stolen medallians or just borrow it from their friends. Hence why when you go into a cab, they often do not have their medillian (name plate with ID #) displayed because they 1. either don't have one or 2. it isn't them. When you get into some cabs and tell them a landmark, they often don't know where it is.

The best bet when you have a problem with a taxi is to get the license plate number and company name on the side.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:25 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,725,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
If he didn't give you info and wouldn't call the police wouldn't that technically be a hit and run? They told me that was the only way I could file a report at that point. And yes, it didn't even cross my mind asking him to wait while I called the police...what if that would have really pissed him off? Super unsafe.
I don't know, I thought about that long after the fact. If it happens again in the future, I'll insist on calling the police or finding a phone if the other driver won't call (and tell the other driver that if he/she leaves while I'm finding the phone I'll call in a hit and run). He assumed that I wouldn't fight it if he called my insurance company or filed a suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC