Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 11,897 times

Advertisements

Where would be the best place to rent if I wanted to live in DC and commute out to College Park? I hope to get a 2 bedroom for around $2000 a month. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 96,347 times
Default Your choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad590 View Post
Where would be the best place to rent if I wanted to live in DC and commute out to College Park? I hope to get a 2 bedroom for around $2000 a month. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Alexandria, Virginia is a great place to live. It's close enough to the District, making it quite convenient to commute either by car or by Metro, but still has strong character and a real "community" feel. (I'm assuming you have some reason for not wanting to live too close to College Park -- if commuting convenience alone is the most important consideration, then you should live in College Park itself, or Takoma Park, Silver Spring, Wheaton, or some other place in Maryland very close to College Park.)

Generally, though, I find that towns like Wheaton and Silver Spring have a much more "urban" and "desolate" feel than most places in Virginia and more outlying communities in Maryland.

Try to avoid Arlington. It's on the Virginia side, a very close-in community immediately north of Alexandria, but it's overcrowded, chaotic, hectic, the street map and layout is mind-numbingly confusing, and unlike Alexandria, it has virtually no character and almost zero sense of community. The only upside of Arlington is that it has many Metro stations, a lot more than Alexandria.

Weirdly, Alexandria is an independent city that's not part of any county, while Arlington is a county which is the size of a small city, and has no incorporated cities inside it. Taxes in both jurisdictions are high, and parking and traffic enforcement in both places are very petty, strict, and expensive. But I think overall, Arlington is worse than Alexandria because you're dealing with a county government rather than a city government.

I find that Alexandria is rather "yuppie", but in a good way (if that's possible). Arlington is very "yuppie", but in all the bad ways.

Apartment rents all over the "inner" DC suburbs in Virginia and Maryland are about the same, and the price you quoted is pretty realistic.

If you're coming from a distant state, far outside the DC area, expect to find things like parking fines, traffic enforcement, and other urban headaches to be MAJOR frustrations. I think that northern Virginia is bad in this respect, but the close-in suburbs of Maryland (e.g., Montgomery County, where Silver Spring, Bethesda, Wheaton, etc.) are even worse... Expect a lot of one-way streets, traffic cameras that send you fines for missing lights by 0.0004 second, and parking boots!

All these jurisdictions are INSANE for collecting revenues from drivers!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,322 times
Where in College Park are you working (or studying)? I'd try to find someplace where the commute wasn't horrible. Logan Circle or Dupont are possible (just head out Rhode Island against traffic), though it might be a bit of a hike. Are you going to be near the CP Metro station and looking for a subway ride? You could also consider Capitol Hill (NE sector) and a drive up say Bladensburg or Brentwood to RI/Route 1

The only rub against Virginia is that you have to cross the bridges every morning. The areas out there are nice, but the traffic over the bridge might be unnecessary given the options that exist in DC.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:42 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
Don't live in Virginia if you're commuting to College Park.
You could live anywhere in DC that's handy to Michigan Avenue, Rhode Island Avenue, or New York Avenue.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 PM

16 posts, read 96,347 times
Problem with living in DC though, is that you're restricted to a pretty narrow range of lifestyles and accomodations. You have to choose between renting a townhouse, or an ungodly expensive OLD apartment, or sharing a house with others to make the rent affordable. There aren't a whole lot of newer high-rise apartment buildings in DC. The only place there are really ANY large residential buidlings is in upper Northeast, and they're pretty expensive.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,921,570 times
The OP asked about living in DC. There are many housing choices at different price points, especially for those who are commuting to College Park and don't need to live in the trendy NW neighborhoods.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 96,291 times
Try the green line --
1. Columbia Heights -- a newly redevoping diverse urban neighborhood centered on 14th St NW. Some additional quirky shops and businesses on the side streets, and big old homes and new condos. There are some great Latino restaurants and classics like the Wonderland Bar! Almost everything you could ask for, except a movie theater.
2. Mt Pleasant -- depending on whether a 10-15 minute walk to metro is accessible, this is a very "young couple" friendly neighborhood with houses rapidly appreciating in value and a small local shopping strip with unique restaurants (Latino, Marxist, everything you can imagine).
3. Petworth -- up and coming but still typical quiet tree-lined streets with single family homes. No big business district yet -- most people go to Columbia Heights to eat/drink/shop.
4. Chinatown -- Penn Quarter, pretty hip and urban, new high-rises near the Verizon Center, and upscale restaurants, more expensive --
5. Ft Totten -- there is some new construction; plus the priceless Best Address apartment buildings full of lovely older church ladies. This is where you'll find bargains to buy/rent a condo.
6. Takoma Park -- (not sure this is stll on the green line, sorry...)

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 AM

1 posts, read 9,181 times
This thread is pretty old, but this is my question too. Is there someplace on the Green Line in the city (making it commutable to College Park) that is relatively safe and quiet? It doesn't have to be the hippest place. I am currently living west of the park and looking to cut down on the commute to UMCP. I walked around the U Street and Columbia Heights Metro stations a bit but not sure where the relatively quiet and safe areas in the vicinity were.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Well U Street and CoHo aren't that quiet. U Street is pretty safe, CoHo not so much. Petworth is more quiet, but less safe. Fort Totten is quiet and if I'm not mistaken rather safe.

It'd still be a bit lengthy but something down by the Waterfront station wouldn't be a bad bet. Quiet, rather safe.

And to anyone else wondering about commutes to College Park, consider Silver Spring or (if you can afford it) Bethesda. On a good (read: most) day it's about 35 minutes of driving to get from Bethesda to College Park during the normal rush hour times (since you go opposite the heavy traffic).

Old 03-30-2011, 08:01 AM

136 posts, read 578,787 times
I live in Petworth and really like it. It is pretty quiet and while there is some crime it hardly affects your everyday life.... at least not for me. You can go to Prince Of Petworth and read up on the neighborhood.

The nice thing about Petworth is that it is quiet but you are very close to Columbia Heights and U street so you kind of have the best of both worlds. It is very walkable so I only use the car maybe once every couple of weeks to go to the Home Depot.

Petworth is a pretty large neighborhood so I would concentrate on being South of Allison and East of Georgia AVE. This puts you within about a 10 minute walk to the Metro and other amenities of the neighborhood plus a 20-25 minute walk to Columbia Heights.

I liked it so much that I bought a house after renting for about a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: