Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 08:32 PM

35 posts, read 142,677 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering buying or renting in this neighborhood: 915 6TH STREET, NE WASHINGTON, DC 20002

Any thoughts on
crime and the neighborhood in general. I am not from DC and would like to
get some opinions from the locals. Can you walk the dog at night here? IS the metro nearby?

Thanks,

Messier11

Last edited by messier11; 12-07-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: adding a map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 PM

35 posts, read 142,677 times
Link to map: Map of 915 6th St NE Washington, DC by MapQuest

Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 PM

30 posts, read 125,080 times
I'm not from that area but I have lived in and around DC for about 40 years in all sorts of neighborhoods. Looking at Google Maps the closest Metro is Union Station, about 8 blocks maybe. The houses in that area look well-maintained walking around in "street view". According to DC Police Crime Search there were 14 violent crimes within 1500 feet of this address in the last two months. Total crimes 61. Compared to Rhode Island and 15th St., NW, it is safer in non-violent crime (roughly half) but about the same for violent. Go see for yourself at Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/query.asp - broken link). I have no idea if these statistics are accurate. From what I've read about and personally experienced with DC police recently I wouldn't put an awful lot of trust in them.

People who ask your questions concerning crime in DC remind me of riding motorcycles. If you are a bad driver don't get on one because the margin for error is very small. You need to be honest with yourself and not be too macho because doing so could get you killed. On the other hand there are huge advantages to owning a motorcycle, especially in an urban area. Not to mention they're fun and beautiful.

I'd think twice if I were you and get a feel for the place before committing to that area. Also, there are no stores nearby. Probably very little foot traffic. If I were a criminal I'd like that. One of the safest neighborhoods I ever lived in DC was the old red light district north of Thomas Circle. There were people all over the place all hours. I don't know where they pushed the whores. East somewhere.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times
I'd say it's still kind of iffy up that far. Better to the west, better to the south. H Street is kind of the final frontier for me. I spend a decent amount of time around 7th and East Capitol in the summer months, and I'd happily walk to or from Stanton Square or Union Station at just about any hour, but I'd be kind of leary north of H Street after dark. As you get closer to Gallaudet and Trinidad, things start to get shaky...

Old 12-09-2008, 04:39 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Up closer to M st it's nice. That part of 6th st is one I can't recommend. When the weather warms up, you will see why.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:06 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,401 times
I lived near 7th and MD NE about 10 years ago. I know that H St. is undergoing a renaissance. Don't know latest on area but I would suggest you rent before buying. I left after 6 months and moved on PA. Ave. near Eastern Market, which I liked better. My issues in the former location were feeling unsafe (constant burglaries in the area--I would particularly feel unsafe living alone there; some muggings; and a few murders a year--altho I did felt it helped a bit that there was a bus from Union Sta. to the end of my street); noise--particularly on any weekend night, all times of year, lots of hanging-out outside, music blasting, and dogs left outside to bark 24/7; and being viewed as an interloper. Some neighbors were friendly and some hostile. I am left feeling you get what you pay for, usually, and my place was cheap for some good reasons.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,622 times
It's North of H which means it (might) be a good investment, but as a place to live it's still 'iffy'.

H Street, fwiw, was a major commercial strip through the heart of NE that was gutted by the MLK riots in 1968. And for 40 years it has struggled, just struggled to come back. Many ambitious projects have been tried, but there is still a bit of a 'iffy' factor about the area. Light rail is the next 'new new thing' they hope will improve things, but to many it is kind of a border between Capitol Hill and 'North Capitol Hill' or 'Galludet'.

I could live there, probably, if still single. My wife, no, same for my kids. Not worth the slightly elevated risk over some other neighborhoods.

Your mileage may vary, but as someone else noted it will be a lot different in the Summer with the folks 'hanging around' on the corners and porches late into the night than it is right now.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:38 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,401 times
Someone I know through a doctor's office I go to just rented a place in NE near Gallaudet. He was happy to get a bigger apt. for much less rent than he had been finding elsewhere, and "imagine the concept--a yard for my dog!" He has noticed the street life but so far he's okay with his place--but it's winter.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:57 AM

37 posts, read 316,127 times
AY BIG BAD ORLEANS! lol that is a HOOD lol...i live around there....u wont have to worry about getting shot unless you plan on selling drugs (or hanging out wit the dealers) .....your biggest concerns would be getting robbed and a break in or 2...and crackheads...thats about it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: