Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,883 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! My fiance and I are moving to DC from Philly. His job is in Rockville so we would like to find a new apartment on the middle-northern half of DC or lower MD. We defintely want to stay in a more urban area so we can get to know the city (shops, restaurants, bars, etc.) We'd also like to be close to the Metro or Bus stops. I have absolutely no clue about DC so any help would be awesome. Which areas might be good for a budget not to exceed $2000? Which Metro lines/stops should we aim for that are convenient and relatively safe?

Thanks!

P.S. In terms of neighborhoods, can anyone relate to specific streets/blocks so I can find them on craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 09:25 AM

470 posts, read 2,096,645 times
In Montgomery county, look around downtown Bethesda.

In DC, you might try Friendship Heights or Woodley Park.

All convenient to a Rockville commute, all safe, all with good restaurants, retail and metro nearby.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Stick to the red line of the Metro to get yourself to Rockville easily. Woodley Park is very nice, Cleveland Park and Van Ness are good too. Dupont Circle is more urban, but pricier. All of these areas are very very safe. I wouldn't go any further down on the red line than that, it just gets too far for Rockville.

If you mean a studio or 1-bed for $2000, that's a good budget. If you mean for a 2-bedroom, look in Maryland.

As far as specific streets, if you stick to near those metro stations, you'll be fine. Otherwise, if you have a question about a particular area, you can post back on here. That side of the city is very safe, so really the main concern would be where the metro is and what's nearby (all available on GoogleMaps).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC